BRUGAL: The Story Behind the Barrels

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Google translate: click on the link to see the original article and the photos.

Brugal: the story behind the barrels

PUERTO PLATA. Jassil Villanueva, dressed in white pants and a shirt with light blue stripes to match her ​​eyes, leads a group of graduate students through the facilities of the rum factory. Explain to natives and tourists what the product is made, manufactured since 1888 and regarded as a symbol of the Dominican Republic, is one used for the first teacher of Brugal rum family, belonging to the fifth generation practice.

"We have divided the process into two portion of the production of alcohol, which is in San Pedro de Macoris,. Part and rum production itself, which is what we see today," says Jassil who the temperature in the areas of production and aging has picked up her long brown hair, inviting others to get comfortable and fresh for travel. Ethyl alcohol obtained from the fermentation of cane molasses in San Pedro de Macoris has a degree of almost pure alcohol 95 This -indicates the master ronera- mixed with demineralized water to reduce it to 65 degrees. At this stage is called a hydrated alcohol and liquid with which the casks are filled. All barrels. "What we want is that all features are caused by the aging, (...) until the barrel does not bring the alcohol and tannins that until teachers do mix remains a raw material "explains Jassil. Thus, the differences between varieties of Brugal rum is due to the types of cask, the years of the aging spirit within them, and mixtures master rum makers do again according Villanueva- because all their products are combinations of different aged. Brugal A?ejo Extra Viejo, Gold Card, White, Golden, Titanium, 1888 Gran Reserva Familiar, XV or other rums, all are "blended".

Brugal has 14 wineries in two tanks where they age million liters of rum in 250,000 barrels. There are three types. The American white oak barrels, with a first use bourbon whiskey, can contain from 200 to 280 liters. The European red oak barrels used in sherry before having a capacity of 250 liters. And the European red oak casks with applications in Pedro Ximenez sweet wine Andalusian aged for up to 500 liters of alcohol each. horizontal tank in hot barrels and wood leaves the heady scent of aging complex, because here rum aged between three and nine years. It is less pungent odor in the tank vertical and palletized cask, aged for between one and three years. Depending on the time of aging how to place the barrels is determined: according to Villanueva, if an aged long you want the barrel be placed in a horizontal position so that the liquid is always in contact with the cover because annual evaporation-from 8% to 12% - not rum would brush the top wood if the barrel is vertical, causing it to become dry and it opens.

The teacher says rum each barrel has a lifespan of between 18 and 20 years. Then they are not suitable for process-each aged 22 thousand-year change used in brand promotions and decorations. Also, many are destroyed to sell wood to energy production plants based on biomass because -Ensures Jassil- maintain a commitment to the environment, so also purchase bottles of rum sold in the local market, which able to recover about 60%. ron To be considered, local legislation provides that the fluid must have at least twelve months aging in controlled by the Directorate General of Internal Taxes (Tax Administration) deposits and no less than 37.5 alcohol. After the passage of cool winters, pleasant springs, hot summers and sweltering autumns, Brugal rum goes with acquired secondary aromas of wood tannins, which can be complex if the roasting inside of the barrel has been profound, as Gustavo Ortega Zeller also rum master of the fifth generation. But the barrels of rum also gets carbon particles to be filtered in a tub before going through the process chamber. And filtering the liquid, master rum makers make mixes for each variety and the rum is ready to be bottled. International market 70% of the production of Brugal stays home. The other 30% goes to the international market. Jassil Villanueva explains that the international market for the alcohol content of rum varies: for Europe and Asia must be at least 38 degrees; Canada, the United States and Latin America, at least 40 degrees; Africa and rum must have a minimum strength of 43. Between 1999 and 2000, Brugal adopts strategies to formally launch its exports, especially to the United States and Spain, because they believed that the Dominican Republic could not grow. Gustavo Ortega Zeller said he had 90% market share, with 4.5 million cases per year. We followed these markets Italians, Russians, Costa Rican and Chilean recalls and today its main market is Spanish, which arrive every year between 700,000 and 800,000 cases of rum, and the second volume is the United States, says the master sitting behind a desk where lie three glasses of rum you created. Gustavo points when Brugal rum was introduced in the Iberian country, master rum makers signature went on tour to perform tastings bar owners throughout Spain and today consider positioning achieved in less time than usual, which determines eight to nine years. And today is the exclusive market Spain Brugal Sigh, low calorie rum spent preparing cocktail launched last year.

"This great success on the market in Spain was possibly fired the value of this company to be 15 times what it was before that, is what makes a Edrington group approaching us," associated Ortega Zeller. To follow growing in the international market, Brugal did not have an adequate distribution platform. Therefore, in 2008 they sold over 60% of the shares of the rum company of Puerto Plata the Edrington Group, UK, who in 1999 acquired the exclusive malt Scotch whiskey Macallan and The Famous Grouse and Highland Park. " What we saw at the time was a stronghold of trading in, and us alone international markets could not go, we did not have the capacity to do, "says master rum maker, noting that they plan to continue growing in the United States and markets Premium Asians.

The finest Brugal

In 1888, Catalan Andr?s Brugal Montaner immigrant -tatarabuelo master rum makers of this time have shown the production and qualities of the drink-founded Brugal & Company. Don Andr?s separated barrels of rum for consumption in family celebrations. Each year, the founder obtained between 10 and 15 liter boxes replenished its reserves and drew the liquid and the evaporation losses with aged he thought best. This tradition 'says Gustavo- remained for over a century and currently have about 36 of those barrels Andr?s Santa. Rums are so old that the family can not determine the exact number of stations carrying stroking oak barrels. was in his honor that in 2013 the company decided to market 500 bottles of Brugal older, Santa Andres, a ron annual collector's edition price: each of these relic sold for more than $ 1,200. Andr?s Santa were only 35 bottles in Dominican Republic and its benefits went to the Brugal Foundation, says in her quiet voice Gustavo Ortega Zeller.

The properties

Gustavo Ortega Zeller is the creator of the recent rums, aimed at a younger audience, Brugal Titanium Premium white rum-the house, suitable for mixing, Brugal XV barrel aged, with Peter and Brugal Xim?nez- 1888 Gran Reserva Familiar with double aging. Given, "a rum must have an attractive color, should be clean and should be bright," says the rum master while holding the ball in their hands a cup-with Titanium. Then proceeds to explain that the country tastings are conducted with pure alcohol and without leaving mouth, contrary to the whiskey tasting, where they tend to dilute the product in water, 20%, and returned mouth ... customs of each alcoholic beverage. "Great rum must have a pleasant aroma and balanced. With balanced we mean that all those involved in flavors that rum, opaque as none other, but are presented as well. Logically those aromas will (...) woody and complex depending on the aging time, "he continues. Hence XV aroma is strong and less complex than the Brugal 1888 Gran Reserva Familiar, whose double barrel aging ex bourbon and sherry ex brings to more woody scents smell. Already in mouth, Gustavo recommends finding more flavor sensations given by the type of barrel and the years that alcohol has waited for them to master rum makers mixed varieties and terminate the chain with rum lovers uncorking the bottle.

Brugal: la historia tras las barricas - DiarioLibre.com

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
tour of brugal in POP is well worth it. i enjoyed it a lot more than i thought i would. my guide, not so much, as i had hundreds of questions. i met jassil, the master ronero from the article for a special degustation. great fun.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Brugal",....Makes Me FALL DOWN!!!!!!! :knockedou:knockedou:knockedou:knockedou:knockedou:knockedou:cheeky:
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Aug 6, 2006
I drank some rum the last time I visited Barahona, and somehow,it gave me a hangover even though I did not feel even slightly tipsy. I think I will stick with beer or wine in the future.