problems with Scotiabank ATM's

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
We have been having problems with Scotiabank ATM's this week. Canadian debit Card. Cabarete - took money from the account but gave NO cash. We have reported it to the bank in Canada and hopefully it will be resolved.

also problem in Sosua - at the Metro bus station . every transaction " sorry we cannot process your transaction at this time" yet we see lots of people using the machine and getting cash. Maybe not a Canadian Scotia bank card ?

Anyone else having the same issues ? We can use the same card at Banco Popular machines and get cash - but at higher rate and also fees. anyone having any idea what is going on ? or similar issues. Been doing this this for many many years with no problems

Yayow

Sep 4, 2007
I haven't had problems with that particular bank, as there are none in my immediate area. However I have had similar problems with other banks, recently, I would say the last month or so, I also seem only to be able to withdraw from popular at higher rates, and lesser amounts being able to withdraw with each transaction. My bank is a New York bank and previously I had no issues, I used to be able to use BHD, for example and withdraw up to $1,000 US per transaction, now with Popular I am limited to 10,000 pesos max por transaction, so if I need more cash to pay bills, I have to make multiple withdrawals, and have to pay multiple transaction fees, it's frustrating and costly.

I tried at first to go inside the branch if I knew I needed more cash, but conveniently, their machine they used for that suddenly went off line, so once again I had to use the atm outside, and make multiple withdrawals, and pay multiple fees.

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
We are asking specifically about Canadian Scotiabank ATM cards and their usage at the Scotiabank ATM in Cabarete and the machine at Metro bus station in Sosua. Please don't tell us about any other banks, bank cards, or 'why we should never use an ATM in the Domincan Republic'

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
I had the same problem with the Scotiabank ATM in POP last Thursday... Then, the security guard told me to use the machine selecting "Spanish" for the language.... and guess what ?? I got my cash... Give it a try.

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
Same problem, here in santo domingo, not sure about the $ taken will verify onlone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It sounds like a software error has crept back in. Several years ago you had to select Spanish to get the machine to work.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I had the same problem with the Scotiabank ATM in POP last Thursday... Then, the security guard told me to use the machine selecting "Spanish" for the language.... and guess what ?? I got my cash... Give it a try.

From time to time , I expect we have all had a glitch w/ ScotiaBank's ATM's..

Switching to Espanol never would have crossed my mind --- GREAT TIP!!

Usually,I just switch banks... having a both Scotia and Progreso accounts.

The Scotia problem seems to correct itself after a few days, from my experience

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
Could be connected to the FATCA. The U.S. administration is increasing its pressure on the banks, foreign included, to rat out all foreign transactions in dollars. Compliance means there will be a lot of IT chopos screwing around with their computers' cash traps. You don't need to be American nor deal in dollars to be affected. If the banks' computers get patched by chopo programmers with chopo bank managers, neither will see the ramifications of the changes downstream, such as the code spinning out on "English" being selected ("Oh, my goodness, a foreigner! What will we ever do?)

Yayow

Sep 4, 2007
We are asking specifically about Canadian Scotiabank ATM cards and their usage at the Scotiabank ATM in Cabarete and the machine at Metro bus station in Sosua. Please don't tell us about any other banks, bank cards, or 'why we should never use an ATM in the Domincan Republic'

Sorry didn't realize that you were being specific about those areas, but it seems this is a system wide problem not specific just to that bank.

Mack

Jan 10, 2009
Do you have a chip card? If so that is probably your problem.
My brother had the same issues last year. The only ATM that would accept his chip card from the UK was at Banco Popular.
Mack.

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
Tried using Spanish as the language of choice, at the Metro Station in Sosua tonight, and the same result! Hope they get it resolved soon.....