First hand hospital experience at Plaza de la Salud

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
This weekend spent many hours with my 90-year old mother-in-law who was hospitalized at Plaza de la Salud. She had earlier suffered a heart attack and then underwent a cardiac catheterization procedure with Dr. Elvia Martinez Carrasco at Plaza de la Salud General Hospital.

I cannot speak for the medical details, but would like to share that my perception and that of all relatives on assistance by 911 and the care at the hospitals where she was taken was positive.

It all began when she vomited after having juice at her Santo Domingo home, and her caretaker (the housekeeper) couldn’t locate her daughter (with whom she lives), nor her sons (including my husband) and decided to call 911 for help.

Was told they came promptly and recommended that she be taken to the hospital, probably after taking her vital signs. She insisted she was fine and could go by herself to see her doctor, but the 911 insisted and took her to the Clinica Abreu. They were right.

Turns out she had recently had a heart attack, and she was left in the hospital with very high blood pressure. She was stabilized and then transferred to the Plaza de la Salud for the heart procedure.
Because of her age, she was kept in the hospital all weekend, which enabled us to become a bit familiar with the hospital. Everyone seemed professional, place was sparkling clean and everything seemed to work properly.

I think the big plus was that she was promptly taken care of, there was no waiting.
They tell us we are getting abuela back “zero kilometers.” While in the hospital, she wanted to go from bed to chair, and then wanted to start walking and a day after was walking the hallway outside her room. She kept saying that we had told her she needed to get active, and this time around would do so. She is working on making it to 100.

I always have felt that if I got sick would like to be taken to Cedimat emergency, that is part of Plaza de la Salud, but is sort of a separate operation… but was pleasantly surprised that Plaza de la Salud, that primarily is a big public hospital run by a private-public board, is working so well.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
so what you are saying that now, if you ever get sick, you want to go to the public hospital?

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
so what you are saying that now, if you ever get sick, you want to go to the public hospital?

No. I am saying that Plaza de la Salud is a very good public hospital. I would have no problem being hospitalised there. My mother in law was taken there because that was where the doctor recommended.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
PJT is pleased to know your mother-in-law is up, walking, and wants to get the heck out. Bet, she will reach the 100 mark plus. It is comforting you have a good report of the experience. Let us all hope this is a window of medical service improvement for the residents of the country.

Regards,

PJT

Regards,

PJT

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
No. I am saying that Plaza de la Salud is a very good public hospital. I would have no problem being hospitalised there. My mother in law was taken there because that was where the doctor recommended.

Dolores, is Cedimat also a public hospital?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006

would you personally chose to be treated in a public hospital?

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Plaza de la Salud is not the normal, conventional public hospital. It's probably better than many private and for sure better than most of the private hospitals outside Santo Domingo / Santiago.

If I have to choose between Corazones Unidos and Plaza de la Salud, I'd choose Plaza de la Salud.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Dolores, is Cedimat also a public hospital?

Yes. Both have the same public-private board that supervises them. They are public hospitals that are privately-run. The formula has been successful. The money earned is reinvested in the hospital center. And prices are kept in check, plus they accept most health provider insurance plans, which many private hospitals do not. I would also suspect that because they have developed such high volume of patients, they can afford to have modern equipment and keep prices reasonable, even for those who do not have insurance.
Another plus is that since they are a teaching hospital and not strictly a for-profit operation you do not have the concern your bill will be padded with procedures or pharmaceuticals as is known to happen in some private centers.

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Yes. Both have the same public-private board that supervises them. They are public hospitals that are privately-run. The formula has been successful. The money earned is reinvested in the hospital center. And prices are kept in check, plus they accept most health provider insurance plans, which many private hospitals do not. I would also suspect that because they have developed such high volume of patients, they can afford to have modern equipment.

Thanks, I never knew that. One of my husband's cousins is a retired DR general with US citizenship, usually goes to NY for anything serious. Last year he chose Cedimat for his heart surgery, a Dr. Urena I think, and they raved about the facility, the doctor and the care - I assumed it was a pricy private institution. Live and learn!

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Update… my mother-in-law was not released today from Plaza de la Salud. My son was asked to donate blood so she could have a transfusion before leaving, we hope for tomorrow. But her anxiety is gone and she is in good spirits. I had bought her a lovely dress for her 90th in July that at a 10 was too small. I think she will have lost the extra 4-5 pounds so it will fit her well. She has a great figure.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Interesting that the first stop was Clinica Abreu....
was that because of proximity?

CA then passed her on to where the good doctor operated, as I read it..... is that right?

If so, CA diagnosed her and arranged for the operation at the other hospital.

Personally, I have great faith in CA - it would be my first stop too .

Glad to hear the good reports ...

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
When I had my heart attack first stop was CA(proximity), then to Cedimat, where Dr. Urena done the stents. No complaints whatsoever. He is a great cardiologist, and really cares about his patients.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Plaza de la salud in the capital regarded as the best hospital in the country for almost every problem and for children to the very elderly ..It enjoys a great reputation and many patients go there from other hospitals..The only problem is that on some occasions it does not have spare beds . The times that I have been there solely as a visitor , I have also been impressed .In this country I am also impressed with the cancer clinic in the capital and with La Romana Central Hospital . We only seem to have a shortage of first class orthopedic doctors here ,,By the way I am going to have surgery to remove cataracts in both eyes ,the first on wednesday and I am using Doctor Gonzales in Piantini , based on recommendations of writers here in DR1

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Interesting that the first stop was Clinica Abreu....
was that because of proximity?

CA then passed her on to where the good doctor operated, as I read it..... is that right?

If so, CA diagnosed her and arranged for the operation at the other hospital.

Personally, I have great faith in CA - it would be my first stop too .

Glad to hear the good reports ...

The first stop was Clinica Abreu because she was taken there by 911 ambulance. She was picked up at an apartment on Avenida Anacaona and the Clinica Abreu was assigned to that area for first care.

Dr. Martinez works at both Abreu and Plaza de la Salud. He arranged for the operation at Plaza de la Salud to where she was transferred two days later when her condition was stabilized.

My husband spoke well of Clinica Abreu and did not have complaints of the service received. When my mother in law was there she was in the Intensive Care Unit.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
When I had my heart attack first stop was CA(proximity), then to Cedimat, where Dr. Urena done the stents. No complaints whatsoever. He is a great cardiologist, and really cares about his patients.

Dr. Urena is no longer at Plaza de la Salud / Cedimat.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Plaza de la salud in the capital regarded as the best hospital in the country for almost every problem and for children to the very elderly ..It enjoys a great reputation and many patients go there from other hospitals..The only problem is that on some occasions it does not have spare beds . The times that I have been there solely as a visitor , I have also been impressed .In this country I am also impressed with the cancer clinic in the capital and with La Romana Central Hospital . We only seem to have a shortage of first class orthopedic doctors here ,,By the way I am going to have surgery to remove cataracts in both eyes ,the first on wednesday and I am using Doctor Gonzales in Piantini , based on recommendations of writers here in DR1
I think you're pushing it now. It's very good for a public hospital in DR, but I wouldn't dare to say it's the best hospital in the country. I'd prefer Abel Gonzalez, Hospiten, etc.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Dr. Urena is no longer at Plaza de la Salud / Cedimat.

Hope your not talking about Dr. Pedro Urena Velasquez as he is the director of cardiology at Cedimat. But will as at my next appointment.