Five Gallon Drinking Water - Improvement

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
Today I implemented my solution to my 5 gallon jug problem: used space on kitchen counter; awkward to handle without spilling.

Solution: a pump. The bottle is under the counter. The electric pump supplies a faucet on the sink and refrigerator ice and cold water. I also got a second bottle to add to the rotation of bottles.

I had considered a purification system RO with UV. Cascada water is so cheap and the RO is expensive and requires maintenance too.

The pump brand is FloJet. I purchased it on my last trip to US. They have a few products including a two bottle system.

Tom

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
We also have a flojet pump connected to the fridge. Make sure you remove the installed water filter from your refrigerator, if not, by time it will damage your pump.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
this is from the supplier:

Can I connect the pump to my refrigerator that has a built-in water filter?
Do not use any external filtration devices. These will cause the pump to over-cycle, possibly causing premature pump failure, not covered under warranty. If your refrigerator has factory installed internal filtration that must remain in place as part of the water line, this too may cause over-cycling resulting in pump failure. Contact the refrigerator maker and inquire about obtaining an empty or dummy filter housing for use instead of the standard filter model. If none is available, the use of a mini- accumulator tank will be necessary and can be ordered on our website.

The instructions that come with the flojet also tell you to remove it, and they provide a dummy water filter in case your refrigerator needs a filter installed to be able to function.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
We also have a flojet pump connected to the fridge. Make sure you remove the installed water filter from your refrigerator, if not, by time it will damage your pump.

nonsense. ours have been working well for years until miesposo dropped the siphon while changing the bottles and we had to buy a new pump. fridge filter is there and changed regularly.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
nonsense. ours have been working well for years until miesposo dropped the siphon while changing the bottles and we had to buy a new pump. fridge filter is there and changed regularly.

It will probably depend on the type of fridge and filter. Flojet probably not taking any chances (and neither am I). I could imagine some filters make the flow slower to the water dispenser and cause the pump to have to work too hard.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
hmmm... our fridge is amana but the filter is whirlpool (i think). it's inside the fridge. the pump along with the bottles is in one of the cupboards. works neatly. i do not understand how would the fridge filter mess up the connection? the pump is made to work with modern fridges and they normally have built in filters? did you encounter any issues yourself?

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
hmmm... our fridge is amana but the filter is whirlpool (i think). it's inside the fridge. the pump along with the bottles is in one of the cupboards. works neatly. i do not understand how would the fridge filter mess up the connection? the pump is made to work with modern fridges and they normally have built in filters? did you encounter any issues yourself?
I just removed it because the instructions said so and also the sales guy who sold us the fridge (Corripio) recommended it (the flojet I bought on amazon for I think USD100, while here they cost 8000 pesos). The first pump died after about a year, I bought a new one that also died, than had both repaired here. I suppose that had to do with electricity peaks.

I never had it working with the filter, so I can't say if it would give any issues. But since the water is supposed to be clean, I removed it. Those filters are more for when you connect your fridge to the faucet in countries where you can do that.

Aug 21, 2007
About 3 years ago, I had EcoServe install a filter system under my sink. I get filtered water at the sink and from the frig. Love it. They come 3 times a year and service it. It's not cheap, but it is worth it, in my opinion.

~ Lindsey

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
About 3 years ago, I had EcoServe install a filter system under my sink. I get filtered water at the sink and from the frig. Love it. They come 3 times a year and service it. It's not cheap, but it is worth it, in my opinion.

~ Lindsey

So, from the faucet, through the filter to the fridge? I thought about fringing the reverse osmosis system I had in Europe but decided not to bring it since I'd be the only one drinking that water, I'm sure my wife would still buy Agua crystal and insist that our children drink it also.

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago

~ Lindsey
Filtering water is not enough. RO plus UV for city water is necessary to remove the microbes. RO + RV is expensive imported and 2x that if bought locally. Total cost of ownership includes hardware, install and maintenance. Was not right for me.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
i bought a 'as seen on tv siphon pump' on sale with no batteries...i dont like cold water so i just stuck it in + taped it and think im doing fuel...(siphon) of course i tip the bottle when batteries are dead ...

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
i bought a 'as seen on tv siphon pump' on sale with no batteries...i dont like cold water so i just stuck it in + taped it and think im doing fuel...(siphon) of course i tip the bottle when batteries are dead ...

I get the feeling you have a BRUGAL barrel on the rack, not water bottles.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
of course i tip the bottle when batteries are dead ...

i think it's possible that you tip the bottle all the time.

21jvsax.gif

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
I had a pump connected to our fridge awhile ago and I still remember the first day.
I know it was all in my head but somehow water, juice and Barcelo tasted better that day.
To those are on fense, having iced anything without having to call and wait for colmador to come made it worth every penny.
I highly recommend it.

P. S.
We removed our filter, actually the guy who installed it removed it for us. It had been working good for us so I have no complaint.