Canadian Robbed in SD

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
somebody knew was going to do his banking..... plain/simple

coming from the check cashing business, we always used different routes, different times , different people and different cars

you CANNOT be too careful about business banking anywhere in the world.

Those bank guards are useless in most countries.... even the Brinks/Armored guys are benign usually.
Window dressing......

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Not only robbed apparently, shot in the leg as well.

Surprises me they did this at that Scotiabank office, I used to work in that building the first 4 years I lived in this country, that place is always swamped with security personnel, not the sole guy with a shotgun, but several professional looking security guys.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
High Risk for Little Money

somebody knew was going to do his banking..... plain/simple (...)

True.
However, I think it's only Third-World countries where they kill you (all right the Canadian was lucky) for such little money.
The effectiveness of the DR police force of course also "helps".

donP

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
somebody knew was going to do his banking..... plain/simple

coming from the check cashing business, we always used different routes, different times , different people and different cars

Those bank guards are useless in most countries.... even the Brinks/Armored guys are benign usually.
Window dressing......

Agreed. My husband's first thought was someone in the bank made a phone call. Can't be too careful anywhere, but in DR you need eyes in the back of your head.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
However, I think it's only Third-World countries where they kill you (all right the Canadian was lucky) for such little money.

not true. first, in all countries of the world one can get killed for much less, if not for nothing at all. and second, 200k is most folks here make in a year. substantial amount, in other words.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
exactly deviate.

my territory was So Philadelphia in the check business..... good and scary

The RD criminals are amateurs mostly -- real criminals are much more deadly.

They rarely shoot to kill.... just to keep you still.... robbery and murder are two quite different offenses

Domdream

Jul 26, 2014
I always make sure my 9mm is with me any time I'm doing any banking in the dr. Unfortunately that's the way it has to be.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Sounds like Cowboy Ray. any one from the Boat House have any news???

sosuamatt

Bronze
Jul 29, 2013
not true. first, in all countries of the world one can get killed for much less, if not for nothing at all. and second, 200k is most folks here make in a year. substantial amount, in other words.
I agree with the polish princess ( I mean that in a good way. I will tell you about the polish neighbourhood I walked the beat in the late 70s). For that type of cash and knowing the number of people who probably knew he would be carrying I would have an armed trusted friend/guard with me at the very least. Not knowing the exact circumstances of the robbery I can comment no further.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
exactly deviate.

my territory was So Philadelphia in the check business..... good and scary

The RD criminals are amateurs mostly -- real criminals are much more deadly.

They rarely shoot to kill.... just to keep you still.... robbery and murder are two quite different offenses

I always make sure my 9mm is with me any time I'm doing any banking in the dr. Unfortunately that's the way it has to be.

Always a gun.... always.... and a baseball bat

in every car

sosuamatt

Bronze
Jul 29, 2013
Only a gun I can part with after using as most of us are not legal. A shottie is easier to use and either explain or dispose of after use as well as cheaper than a handgun. Then a plane ticket.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
Three hundred us? = 10grand. d,p.$...so it seems like 3000 us dollars... not sure but i think if it was me going in and out of that bank,,, a little security/company someone with me probably paid would be with me...
when i take out a couple hundred im still careful about being inside not counting it if im outside. you know careful.
ive done transactions at check cashing and aleways go in the back office...always divide the money into two or three packets places etc... i would've had that money wrapped in rubbers and stashed all over my person...

Rustxko

Aug 3, 2014
I'd be terrified to have that amount of cash on me even if I was in armored humvee. When I'm there, I don't leave my hotel room with more than 3000 pesos much less 3000 dollars. It's wrong that the guys got robbed, but I'd be thankful that I lived through that incident if it was me.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Was robbed by two criminals wearing security uniforms? Sounds more like he was robbed by two
security guards wearing their uniforms. The guy is lucky the bullet didn't hit him in the head. 200,000 RD$
is like $4,500 USD. People certainly die for a lot less around here.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013

For me too !!!!!

Since I have no knowledge of the case, I would just say that I doubt they rob and shoot people at random.
So either it means u have a bank employee who, an instant after the victim picks up the cash, phones his accomplices who are lurking outside, and they rob him.
Or the victim was indiscreet, and innocently let on that he was heading to the bank.

At any bank, anywhere, I am xtra careful.....

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I would just say that I doubt they rob and shoot people at random.

in general terms that is not exactly true because many dominicans fall victims of random crimes. in this particular case it is difficult to say. maybe it was enough that he was a gringo leaving a bank? or maybe he has certain routine he follows? or maybe the robbers were tipped by one of gringo's "frens" or someone in the bank. he's lucky to get out of this alive.

Last time we were in the Capital and had to take out around the same amount I was super vigilant in checking out what was going around me, brought the stun gun, had it ready and i think I may have told the wife to wait in the entrance while I pulled the car up and I checked non stop if people were following us. LOL The wife had her pepper spray ready, I don't know, it is kind of exciting actually living in the wild west not knowing what will happen?!