Sosua or Cabarete?! Help!!

SadieLou

Sep 19, 2014
Hi all,

We're a young Canadian couple (mid-20s) who travel often. We are having a very tough time deciding between Sosua and Cabarete for our upcoming 2-week trip in Dec/Jan.

We are hoping to relax on the beach/by the pool, shop for trinkets, and venture into town in the evening for some drinks and dancing by the beach. By far the most important aspects are how nice the beach is and how close to town we are. We want to walk everywhere - and we are comfortable walking all day. We have narrowed it down to Viva Wynham in Cabarete or Casa Marina Reef in Sosua. We chose two all-inclusives because buying a package deal is much cheaper than buying a flight on it's own at that time of year. Help us decide!

From what I've read so far, Cabarete seems more our style...but the Wyndham is also about 30% more expensive than Casa Marina, so is it worth it?

Where should we stay, and why?

Thank you!
S

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
long time resident of cabarete here...

no contest between the two hotels in my opinion. viva wyndham.
cabarete center provides what you want at night and quiet relaxing beach during the day.

sosua is 15 minutes away by taxi... and worth a day trip or two to enjoy the beach and walk around the town, too.

so... stay in cabarete, but enjoy sosua as well!

sosuamatt

Bronze
Jul 29, 2013
We are older Canadians who vacation all winter in Sosua. The best fit for you by far is Cabarete but as has been suggested
previously take a day trip to Sosua to compare for future visits.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
As said in the previous posts, Cabarete suits you best. You will want to take a day trip to Sosua Beach as mentioned. This also follows the advise you got on TA.
I have a home in Sosua but Cabarete is for you. Be sure to stop in at Jose O'Shays for a whiskey or beer on the beach.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Same here, Cabarete is for you as I said on your TA posts.
I have a home in Sosua but you'll enjoy Cab more. Be sure to do a day trip to Sosua Beach (Playa Sosua) and in Cab stop in at Jose O'Shays for a cold one with Frank.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Glad you chose the Viva over the Casa Marina...both hotels are decent, but the Viva's a bit nicer and Cabarete is a much more lively place for a young couple. That being said, you may still want to look at other options in Cabarete besides the Viva Wyndham. Unlike Puerto Plata or Punta Cana, an All-Inclusive hotel isn't necessarily your best option as good food and drinks are relatively inexpensive (unless you eat and drink A LOT! :bunny:) Look into these places, all in or very near the center of town, with nice facilities and decent prices:

Millennium Hotel and Spa
Velero Resort
El Magnifico
Villa Taina

You may also want to consider renting a condo at either Ocean Dream or Ocean One...there are others worth looking at as well.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
I own in Sosua and I agree Cabaret is for you. I would look for a closer place then the resort you picked out. It's a walk to downtown and Cabaret isn't the town to be walking in the street. Be careful walking!

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
Its a shame that Sosua has been developed so much bigger and longer than Cabarete , But it's completely a NO brainer to go to Cabarete .Sosua other than a nice Beach , and more grocery shopping shows how poorly it's been handled over the years . It had its hey day in the late 1980s and never has it moved in any direction to give it a vote when compare to cabarete as the above posts show ..... Oh well Sh..tt happens! https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10152257279876290&id=721951289

Milo Mitt

Jul 21, 2014
I fully agree regarding the nightlife and the atmosphere in the evenings but is the food really better?

I have only eaten in Cabarete a handfull times so my experience is limited but none of those meals could be compared to my meals at Orchidee, La Costera, Scandinavian bar, New Cafe, El Rancho just to name a few very good restaurants in Sosua.

I do not mean to divert from the original question - a young couple is better off in Cabarete than in Sosua in general.

DonDR

Jul 14, 2010
I fully agree regarding the nightlife and the atmosphere in the evenings but is the food really better?

I have only eaten in Cabarete a handfull times so my experience is limited but none of those meals could be compared to my meals at Orchidee, La Costera, Scandinavian bar, New Cafe, El Rancho just to name a few very good restaurants in Sosua.

I do not mean to divert from the original question - a young couple is better off in Cabarete than in Sosua in general.

Have you eaten in Cabarete at Otra Cosa, Bliss, Maraja, La Papi (probably yes), Club 56 ? First you dine on the fine white cloth with excellent table decoration in those restaurants, secondly the food is excellent in all of them and thirdly - you can call all of them real restaurants. The ones you named in Sosua ... well, some of them are bars and cafes (and some dishes are really good there).

Milo Mitt

Jul 21, 2014
The restaurants I have eaten at in Cabarete were mainly located along the beach. I am not sure if I have eaten at the ones you have listed. I will check and if not I will try them next time.

The restaurant atmosphere is better in Cabarete than Sosua that I have noticed but I have not yet gotten better food in C.

The white cloth is not so important for me but it depends on the mood I am in and people have different opinions here

Thanks for the restaurant proposals in Cabarete.