Indignation over false news of Ebola death in Dominican Republic

Viajero

Bronze
Dec 16, 2011
Indignation over false news of Ebola death in Dominican Republic - DiarioLibre.com

SD. Dominicans showed yesterday on the social networks their indignation over false information which circulated on the Internet which said that the country had registered a death from the Ebola virus.

The false news expanded through an image with the logo of the Hispanic television chain Univision and the face of its reporter Jorge Ramos, who denied any ties with this information on his Twitter account.

"I have published absolutely nothing regarding the Ebola or regarding the Dominican Republic. I have just returned from an interview with the Mayor of New York," he noted two hours after the Ministry of Public Health also denied this alleged news through the same social media.

"Through this media we declare, we deny and we accuse as fallacious the note which circulated through some social networks regarding a supposed case of Ebola in the Dominican Republic," said the ministry.

"We repeat this is totally false, with no basis, with the intention to disorient and alarm the population, information of a supposed case of Ebola," he reiterated. After a search on the Internet, the Diario Libre could identify as a possible origin of this information a text published on the page "loscontroladores.com," and which attributed to Minister of Public Health, Freddy Hidalgo, this statement over a fatality from Ebola.

This note was shared by the administrators of this page on their account in twitter, with the image of the reporter Ramos, at 1:49 in the afternoon.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
so? kerisa was making fun of ebola in DR ages ago...

26xvl.jpg

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
Oh good lord... Interestingly enough, I got myself a job on a fancy new rig cause they are no longer letting Nigerians get work visas. I'm in a non-Ebola African country right now, and when I got off the plane there were a bunch of people in full Tyvex suits with masks and gloves on. They had infrared scanners and thermal scanners, they took our temps before they let us into immigration. I went to Ebola training before I came, and was told that it will most likely stay in the countries it is in, and has been in because it is spread by the animals. People eat uncooked bush meat and bats and contract the disease. It is of course also spread from person to person, but it is easy to contain in a country that it was brought to by a person, like Nigeria, not so much where people continue to eat the meat and hide from the authorities and the hospitals like Liberia and Sierra Lieone.

Anywho... I promise to not bring Ebola back with me. Of course, the whole island was infected with Chicky, and I didn't get that so maybe I am immune.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Where did you get your training in Ebola? They apparently gave you some bum information on the route of transmission of the virus--it is not transmitted by eating contaminated meat or vegetables. .

They think it originated in the Fruit Bats. Then onto monkeys and pigs. And spread to people from eating the monkeys and pigs. Then yes, people spread it after that. (I'm an expert too)

My daughter just got back on the Sept 7th after being there for 3 months. She didn't have internet so I was sending her three text updates a day re ebola.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Transmission Not Fully Known

....bum information on the route of transmission of the virus--it is not transmitted by eating contaminated meat....

Bush meat is suspected to carry the virus and an animal probably transmitted the virus initially to a young child in late 2013 (in this latest outbreak).

This is NOT the first Ebola Epidemic that the World has dealt with.

True.
But it is "the worst single Ebola outbreak in history, it has now killed more than all the others combined."

BBC News - Ebola: Mapping the outbreak
BBC News - Ebola outbreak: Guinea health team killed

Transmission | Ebola Hemorrhagic Fever | CDC

From Pigs to Monkeys, Ebola Goes Airborne | HealthMap
Estimating the fatality of the 2014 West African Ebola Outbreak | HealthMap

donP

Last edited:

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
Where did you get your training in Ebola?
From the Medical Director of the Middle East and African division of a huge medical staffing company with boots on the ground.

They apparently gave you some bum information on the route of transmission of the virus--it is not transmitted by eating contaminated meat or vegetables. It is spread by direct contact from one human being's bodily fluids to another's. Blood, saliva, mucous, semen... It's ALL OVER the news here in the States.
I'll be sure to mention that some guy on the internet watched a lot of CNN, and is available on DR1 for advice. It starts with the animals (bats) and is then spread by direct human contact.
Universal Infection Control precautions are the only way to avoid it...constant hand washing, not using someone else's glass, spoon, fork, etc. and avoiding direct skin-to-skin contact with infected or suspected infected individuals. They wear the HAZMAT suits to protect their skin and mucous membranes from infection. This is NOT the first Ebola Epidemic that the World has dealt with.
Duh, duh, duh...

My point, or their point rather, was that it is more difficult to contain in the countries where the animals are infected, and people are continuing to consume infected, undercooked meat. Also, the people in these countries feel that it is the white man bringing the disease, so they will not seek medical attention. In countries that it has been transmitted to via people, or if it ended up in the DR, it would easy to contain and stop in it's tracks.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
My point, or their point rather, was that it is more difficult to contain in the countries where the animals are infected, and people are continuing to consume infected, undercooked meat. Also, the people in these countries feel that it is the white man bringing the disease, so they will not seek medical attention. In countries that it has been transmitted to via people, or if it ended up in the DR, it would easy to contain and stop in it's tracks.

first, dominicans already ate most of the wild life in DR. whatever remains would be cooked to point of resembling a chankleta so no risk there,no such thing as "under cooked" exists here. second, people would surely believe that ebola originated on some mysterious ship in haina so they would not likely seek medical help.

it would probably be easy enough to contain to a certain degree, like cholera: limited to the poorest area and rare but present nonetheless.