Please Help with location selection to move. My Needs/Profile attached

D

D.Ortiz

Hello all. I am in the process of moving out of the US. California to be exact. Prior military, medical field 2nd career and worked (3rd career) in the bar business the last 4 years. Yes, fighting the rat race for a while now.
I have been working on leaving the US the last 8 years, hence career change and unloading of debt and material things.
Here is my goal- Live a life that is relatively simple, low key, already have 3 mastiff type dogs (my ONLY kids), hippie/nerdy wife (M.A. Ed.), I plan to rent for at least a year, find a place to do business in the hospitality industry and enjoy life. By the way; I am fully bilingual and have a great social network next door in Puerto Rico.
What do we enjoy: Surfing, snorkling, bike mountain biking, working out 4-5 times per week, occasional nights out dancing, beer, etc.
Please advise and feel free to share your opinions and ask any questions you feel pertinent to better help.

THANK YOU in advance,

D

D

D.Ortiz

This is my ideal generally speaking

large.jpg

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I suggest the North Coast. Sosua/Cabarete area probably your best bet

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
It is best you to come to the island and explore and find the location that fits you. There will be many recommendations but you must follow your own recommendation based upon what your observe and experience.

Regards,

PJT

texan

Apr 1, 2014
It seems to be hard and and a lot of work involved to support yourself by having a business here. If you are just supplementing a retirement income that would be much easier. Cabarete has the best kitesurfing and that seems like a great sport to learn if you near a place that has good kitesurfing.

I haven't tried to learn yet but I also do not live here full time. Cabarete is a pretty cool area.

I am most familiar with the north coast and am in Puerto Plata. It seems to me there is just not a huge middle class here that goes out and spends a lot of money on entertainment. The locals just don't have the disposable income and the expats seem to drink and eat at places that are cheap.

Then a lot of the tourist come here and go to the all inclusive resorts. Unless something changes there is not a huge amount of tourist here spending money. Who knows if the cruise ships will have any impact or not.

You should definitely travel around the island to see what area you like. People have discussed budgets a lot here and a lot depends on what lifestyle you want to live here.

Do you want to have a car? Do you want to live in an apartment or house? How many rooms do you want to have AC in?

Don't forget gas, electricity, furnitures, bicycles, electronics are all more expensive here. Then you have the another discussion if you are going to buy stuff here or send it from the US.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
You will find Punta Cana much more expensive and not really a DR experience

Bob K

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hello all. I am in the process of moving out of the US. California to be exact. Prior military, medical field 2nd career and worked (3rd career) in the bar business the last 4 years. Yes, fighting the rat race for a while now.
I have been working on leaving the US the last 8 years, hence career change and unloading of debt and material things.
Here is my goal- Live a life that is relatively simple, low key, already have 3 mastiff type dogs (my ONLY kids), hippie/nerdy wife (M.A. Ed.), I plan to rent for at least a year, find a place to do business in the hospitality industry and enjoy life. By the way; I am fully bilingual and have a great social network next door in Puerto Rico.
What do we enjoy: Surfing, snorkling, bike mountain biking, working out 4-5 times per week, occasional nights out dancing, beer, etc.
Please advise and feel free to share your opinions and ask any questions you feel pertinent to better help.

THANK YOU in advance,

D

This is an easy choice. Go directly to the Samana Peninsula. Do not pass go or collect two hundred. Las Terrenas has a very large international population. In addition to your native Domincians and Haitians there are a large number of French, German, Italians and many other European nations. Also some Canadians and Americans. There is an International Airport (AZS) El Catey/Samana about 30 minutes away. Jet Blue Flies direct from Jfk Weds. and Sats. Go to the tourist guide on the Northeast thread in this website and check it out. There are many rental properties available in the area. Buenos Suarte.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The North Coast is your best bet. Surf, Kite Surf, Wind Surf. I too lived in California before I moved here and after seeing much of the island would still choose the area near Cabarete without question.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Socialromantic Idea?

You will find Punta Cana much more expensive and not really a DR experience

True, would not fit.
Let's not forget that he wants to...
... live as close as a local as poss.

I don't really know why he wants to do that, but I heard it before... :rolleyes:
{Probably some romantic view of the Dominican society...}

donP

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
From my vantage point Texan has said it all.

The joke about how to make 1 million quite accurate in this country.

Your hippy, nerdy wife might get a little bored at a lot of places along the shoreline without much intellectual stimulation.

I would think Puerto Plata, La Romana, or Barahona are places to be looked at. I certainly wish you good luck.

HB

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If you are coming here and still need to work to survive on anything but a business you can run on the Internet, I recommend you reconsider.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I came to the DR to SPEND money, Not to Make Money!!!!!!
I have been here for 20 years know, and have been wildly successful!!!!!
Your PLAN has been tried by thousands in that time, I am STILL here, THEY have long since left, except the ones who still can not afford a ticket out!
People who run from, The Rat Race, just find BIGGER RATS RACING here!
I know a few people from outside the DR who earn a living here, DAMN few, and NOT in the Hospitality business!
How many times have you been here, where, and for how long??????

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

LTSteve loved Las Terrenas Sooooooooooooooooooomuch, HE LEFT!!!!!
Sorry LT, but I gotta be truthful here!