Claro Internet Modem - Which do you have?

Lothario666

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
I currently have the TG 580 but it does not allow me to access and change the DSN servers.

Looking for information on other modems supplied by Claro so I can change to one that gives me more control.

Specifically, access control and ability to enter DSN servers of my choice.

Thanks for any help!

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Comtrend 5374. I believe it is the newest one they have. I am not sure it will help you though. FYI you can use your own ADSL Router, Modem. But you need to get a Claro tech guy to hook it up. So you can buy one that works for you.

Lothario666

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
Just enter your DNS servers at network device properties on your pc/laptop/smartphone/etc.

I like "ONE STOP" shopping.

By having the DSN servers specified in the Modem, all devices will use those and you will not have to enter them in each device.

Plus some devices, such as NetTalk Duo does not have the ability to enter DSN servers, same I believe with MagicJack, thus if Claro decides to censor a webs site by name, you lose access to it. I have been a victim of Claro blocking web sites in the past. Fortunately it was on a computer and by entering my preferred DSN servers, I was able to access those sites.

Additionally, if a friend come over with their laptop, unless they specified their own choice of DSN servers in their laptop, they are at the mercy of Claro.

The less control by Claro, the better.

A Claro tech was here a few days ago due to a Internet speed problem, I discovered after he left that my desktop had my DSN servers removed. Claro does not allow you to enter DSN servers on the TG 580, even tho specs for the TG 580 states that you can.

Comtrend 5374. I believe it is the newest one they have. I am not sure it will help you though. FYI you can use your own ADSL Router, Modem. But you need to get a Claro tech guy to hook it up. So you can buy one that works for you.

I used to have a working Netgear DGN-1000 for a couple years, but it went bad.
I did not need a Claro tech to get it working, as I knew form years past what to enter for access.

I saved that information for future ref.

Just looking for the easy way out and buy from Claro if possible.

Last edited:

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
Use router

You CAN change DNS values in your TG580 modem. All different modems I tried ( 20 models +/- ) - all have abilities to use your preferred DNS servers. Some newer claro-taylored (locked) modems will not allow you do make major changes if you log in as "admin". You should login as C1@r0 using user name. I will not post superuser password here to avoid problems. You can either search for it in Google or PM me if needed.

If for some reason you can't, why don't keep your existing modem settings and add a router after the modem where you can easily enter your needed DNS.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Bred, I needed you back before I dumped CLARO and never looked back.

I would look into changing to a cable modem if that is possible. Aside from being faster and more reliable, it has a US based IP address. I can run SPOTIFY as if I am in the US and other sites that are sometimes blocked out of the US.

And I use VONAGE with an International plan that includes 250 minutes each month to DR cell phones along with unlimited minutes to DR land lines and to the US, Canada and many other countries.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I like "ONE STOP" shopping.

By having the DSN servers specified in the Modem, all devices will use those and you will not have to enter them in each device.

Plus some devices, such as NetTalk Duo does not have the ability to enter DSN servers, same I believe with MagicJack, thus if Claro decides to censor a webs site by name, you lose access to it. I have been a victim of Claro blocking web sites in the past. Fortunately it was on a computer and by entering my preferred DSN servers, I was able to access those sites.

Additionally, if a friend come over with their laptop, unless they specified their own choice of DSN servers in their laptop, they are at the mercy of Claro.

The less control by Claro, the better.

A Claro tech was here a few days ago due to a Internet speed problem, I discovered after he left that my desktop had my DSN servers removed. Claro does not allow you to enter DSN servers on the TG 580, even tho specs for the TG 580 states that you can.

I used to have a working Netgear DGN-1000 for a couple years, but it went bad.
I did not need a Claro tech to get it working, as I knew form years past what to enter for access.

I saved that information for future ref.

Just looking for the easy way out and buy from Claro if possible.
Change of DNS is for each device only.

All our computers have a different DNS so we can see which are working well and which are not.

NetTalk requires THEIR DNS for their system.

I'm not aware that any ADSL modem comes with no way to change the DNS.

Lothario666

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
I'm not aware that any ADSL modem comes with no way to change the DNS.

Welcome to the "World of Claro".....................

2saihsg.jpg

I can view the above information, but when in edit mode, the Primary DNS and Secondary DNS fields are not accessible.

I have been through all the instruction manuals for the TG 580 and according to the manuals, YES, you can change the DNS servers. HOWEVER, the modem as delivered to me by Claro does not give access to those fields for changing. I have been over and over the instructions of how to get to them, Claro has the option to change them blocked.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I had the same problem once Claro changed my modem. With the admin pass you can change some things, but not (anymore) the DNS servers (for all equipment) connected. I only used it for Netflix, and chose Apple TV over chromecast to make sure I can change DNS servers there.

@cobraboy, once you change DNS servers on your modem ALL computers / tablets / phones using that modem to connect with the internet will use that DNS server.