price of a small tv?

Mullahman

Jun 26, 2011
Can anyone tell me the prices for small tvs? Either flat screen or regular. Any input is appreciated

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
At least in Super Lama and Corropio, they seem to start at $8000rd in the Bavaro area for the off-brands, and around $12,000rd for more brand names. I'm amazed at how many 4:3 TVs i see.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Tube type TVs can no longer be imported into the DR. The price for a small flat screen, in the 24 inch range, as mentioned is about the same as you would pay for a 32 inch model in the US. Why? The DR government likes it that way. TV's are the one thing (aside from vehicles) where you are really screwed if you import them.

The Under $200 exemption for some reason does not apply to TVs. They will tax you insanely if you import a TV on any given day. Best to bring them in with luggage or just go ahead and get one locally and pay the stupidly expensive price if you don't have a firm fixed price to import that is better than getting one here.

Aug 6, 2006
The lowest price for a new TV in Barahona was $8,500 U$187)for a 4:3 set that was rather cube-shaped. That is the bad news. The good news is that it is pretty easy to find a 16:9 small flatscreen in the US for under$100 in places like pawnshops. I got a 19" 16:9 Coby for $80 (RD$1860) that was both digital and NTSC and with a remote advertised in craigslist.org. It weighed about 7 lbs, and was easily buried in an regular sized suitcase.
European/Brazilian PAL format TVs will require an adapter.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The lowest price for a new TV in Barahona was $8,500 U$187)for a 4:3 set that was rather cube-shaped. That is the bad news. The good news is that it is pretty easy to find a 16:9 small flatscreen in the US for under$100 in places like pawnshops. I got a 19" 16:9 Coby for $80 (RD$1860) that was both digital and NTSC and with a remote advertised in craigslist.org. It weighed about 7 lbs, and was easily buried in an regular sized suitcase.
European/Brazilian PAL format TVs will require an adapter.

Was that TV still hot when you bought it?

Check out TigerDirect versus the price here and it will be a frustrating experience:

TV between $50.00 and $99.99 at TigerDirect.com

Aug 6, 2006
No, not to my knowledge. I bought it from a reputable pawnshop. I also got a nice digital Nikon camera there for $65, in the box with the manual and a 2Gig card included.

I tested both the camera and the TV before I bought it. I have bought a number of things from pawnshops and never have had a problem with malfunction or legality.

kaykat18987

Nov 25, 2013
i got a 28 inch LED tv/monitor from plaza lama. its a low Brand . thecnomaster. was 13,000. tvs are really expensive here. if you have a chance to get it from outside the country , go ahead. in canada at walmart a 32 led RCA is at 99$

at plaza lama prices for a 32 inch Brand like rca, sony, Samsung, were 17,000 -26,000

we got with autovolt. due to the power outage. the saleman really insisted on us taking with autovolt for the tv not to break when power goes out..... not really sure if its true. but power does go out alot so im happy we too it with auto volt.

Aug 6, 2006
Was that TV still hot when you bought it?

Check out TigerDirect versus the price here and it will be a frustrating experience:

TV between $50.00 and $99.99 at TigerDirect.com

$80 bucks tax included is still better than $89 for a refurb with another $6.39 sales tax. Tiger Direct often does not have what it advertises in the store, and then you have to pay shipping. I checked every store at the time, and the best price for a 19" was $119.88 plus tax. A 22" TV would have required me to buy another suitcase.

As a rule, Brands Mart in Miami has the best prices for new electrical stuff. They had the $119.88 price, which would have been $128.27. So I spent $48.27 less. True, a pawnshop TV might be a bigger gamble than a new set in a box that I could not test prior to buying, but so far it works just fine.

I also got a voltage surge protector online for around $12

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I have a 40 year old Luis Vutton suitcase. No wheels of course. I must have brought in at least 10 TV's with this. Last one a 28 inch TV with DVD player built in for $179 US. I take it out of the box of course and line the screen with towels.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
My next door neighbor in the States, manages a Pawn Shop, and I cannot believe the amount of new or near new stuff people turn in for just cash...no pawn. They have near-new John Deere zero radius lawn mowers for 1/3 the cost of a new one. It just goes on and on... Like you said, try it first to be sure it works as advertised.

Since the recession of 2007-2008, pawn shops have grown in great amounts. I always say keep some type of collateral just in case. Always pawn never sell. IMO

westom

Dec 4, 2009
we got with autovolt. due to the power outage. the saleman really insisted on us taking with autovolt for the tv not to break when power goes out..... not really sure if its true. but power does go out alot so im happy we too it with auto volt.
No low or no voltage will damage any properly designed electronics. As was true long before PCs existed. If a low or no voltage damages a TV, then the TV was defective before it was purchased.

Low voltage can be destructive to motorized appliances. Not harmful to electronics. If the salesman was technically honest, then the autovolt should have been recommended for a refrigerator. But these autovolt devices are often so cheaply made as to output 'dirty' electricity; that does not harm electronics but can be harmful to motorized appliances such as a refrigerator.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Actually I give a lot of TV's out for gifts. Maid, cook, people in need of one, etc. And I like the idea of beating the system.

The flat screen TV's that replaced the tube models in our apartments for rent were also imported in luggage at no additional charge.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The reason they SELL in a pawn shop, is because the item is stolen!!!!!!!
The pawn broker ?Cools? the item down for a month or so, then sells it!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Tube type TVs can no longer be imported into the DR. The price for a small flat screen, in the 24 inch range, as mentioned is about the same as you would pay for a 32 inch model in the US. Why? The DR government likes it that way. TV's are the one thing (aside from vehicles) where you are really screwed if you import them.

The Under $200 exemption for some reason does not apply to TVs. They will tax you insanely if you import a TV on any given day. Best to bring them in with luggage or just go ahead and get one locally and pay the stupidly expensive price if you don't have a firm fixed price to import that is better than getting one here.

My last TV I had shipped here and got screwed by aduanas. I just had the wife ask Jet Pack for details on their bringing in a TV bought on Amazon. They said 48% duties and 100 pesos per pound. I saw a decent 60" LED for like $800 USD. If I figure 1200 after customs and maybe 150 for shipping, that shouldn't hurt too much.

The problem is the one item I tried buying online with Mailboxes Etc turned into a nightmare and cost almost 80% in duties.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
My last TV I had shipped here and got screwed by aduanas. I just had the wife ask Jet Pack for details on their bringing in a TV bought on Amazon. They said 48% duties and 100 pesos per pound. I saw a decent 60" LED for like $800 USD. If I figure 1200 after customs and maybe 150 for shipping, that shouldn't hurt too much.

The problem is the one item I tried buying online with Mailboxes Etc turned into a nightmare and cost almost 80% in duties.

What you failed to ask was this. How does customs set the price of the TV? They set the price based upon a book that they have and NOT WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT! Otherwise you could import a 39" TV that is $199.99 US from the US for zero duty.

I ask Encargopaq from time to time about shipping a TV and they say, "No please do not do that, we do not want you to be mad at us." But it really is the non-transparent nature of DR customs that is at fault here.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Rafy, then what do you do when you plug in the TV and nothing happens?????????
You watch a blank screen!
And nobody will help you!
My Big Screen TV is 15 years old.
Every year I say I'm going to wait for the price of a flat screen to come down.
I waited through Plasma,LED, 3D,WIFI, now I'm waiting for the Samsung curved screens to go down in price!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

westom

Dec 4, 2009
Autovolt here is more for surges than low voltage situations. ...
It's amazing just how much the voltage fluctuates in the poorer areas.
Voltage can drop so low that incandescent lamps dim to 50% intensity. Even that is ideal voltage to all electronics. Voltage variations (watching voltage go up and down) as describes are near zero. Voltage will always vary only by near zero amounts because too much variation is harmful to motorized appliances (ie refrigerator).

What happens when AC voltage drops to less than 50%? Electronics simply power off - without damage. What happens if AC voltage varies more than near zero? AC utility cuts off power so that larger variations do not damage what is at greater risk (ie refrigerator, air conditioner, washing machine).

How does that Autovolt stop what three miles of sky could not? It doesn't. It does not even claim protection from sruges that typically do damage. Again, it protects from surges already made irrelevant by existing protection inside electronics and refrigerators. Autovolt was recommended by a salesman who forgot to mention what is always necessary - specification numbers. Why did a salesmen forget to mention normal voltage for electronics is even when lights dim to 50% intensity? Did he fear losing an obscenely profitable sale?

Where are spec numbers that says an autovolt will stop 2000+ volts - a destructive surge? None exist. Where does it claim to absorb (make harmless) surges that are hundreds of thousands of joules? It doesn't. But somehow it is recommended to do what even the manufacturer does not claim it will do.

Voltage variations do not damage electronics but can threaten motorized appliances. Surges require something completely different that, to create confusion, is also called a surge protector.