american man drowns in playa encuentro

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
rough water at times, with areas of undertow. Most locals know but some overestimate their swim ability in the ocean. Every drowning is a needless tragedy. No lifeguards, no signs.

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
Dan from Chicago? Any article with passport? RIP and condolences to his family.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Playa Sosua seems to be pretty harmless. Does this kind of stuff happen there as well?

Wherever there is even 3 inches of water, people can drown. The actual cause of this poor man's demise is as yet unstated. He was 53, so he might have had a heart attack and then drowned, undertow could have caused him not to reach the shore, or something else..

jkc

Jun 24, 2013
Sorry for his family's loss.

sorry! But, those gringos need to understand that this is not the us where there is lifeguard and other help! They went in those islands, they see women and they are going crazy! Chill out gringos! The weather is attracting, there are women everywhere, but these bunch of islands can as dangerious as well! Be careful guys

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Sad and probably avoidable. Many times people who are not good swimmers enter the ocean and encounter rip tides and panic sets in. The details were not stated but many times this is the cause.

I am a good swimmer and I have encountered waters (playa publico in Juan Dolio, boca grandi in Aruba, Negril cliffs, cave swimming and most notably Cupecoy beach in Sint Maarten where a wave threw a 370 lb friend 15' into the air) where I literally had to swim for my life, planning a tack across waves and currents to maneuver to safety. Tragedy can befall the best prepared among us. Off color remarks about possible mistakes on the part of the swimmer are hardly appropriate (even when edited if someone quotes them before the edit).

I don't doubt for a minute that this victim was an accomplished swimmer and he may have done everything right but sometimes mother nature puts up a greater challenge than any of us can manage. Condolences to his Friends and Family.

sorry! But, those gringos need to understand that this is not the us where there is lifeguard and other help! They went in those islands, they see women and they are going crazy! Chill out gringos! The weather is attracting, there are women everywhere, but these bunch of islands can as dangerious as well! Be careful guys

This guy lived here for a long time I am sure he knew the drill. I am a great swimmer but got taken under once by a rip tide in Hawaii, scariest thing that ever happened to me! I was lucky, many are not! I am now a lot more cautious where I swim! (Usually in pools)
Rip!