Motorcycle accidents in the DR

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
In Santo Domingo news site it is reported that AMET top cop says motorcycles involved in 75% of DR road accidents. Anyone shocked by this? Knew it was high but this is crazy. Give me a large car anyday. Now that I think of it I have been hit twice be by motos. Never reported anything so the 75% number is most likely higher as many must go unreported. Guess its not true that " loud pipes save lives" since most Dom motos have really loud pipes. Talk about needless deaths and injuries.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Do not FRET, It is Improving the Gene Pool !!!!!!!!
In a hundred years here the average IQ could reach 80!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bicyclists USED to be the lowest thing on the road pecking order here, now they are ALL GONE, so it's the Motos!!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
In Santo Domingo news site it is reported that AMET top cop says motorcycles involved in 75% of DR road accidents. Anyone shocked by this? Knew it was high but this is crazy. Give me a large car anyday. Now that I think of it I have been hit twice be by motos. Never reported anything so the 75% number is most likely higher as many must go unreported. Guess its not true that " loud pipes save lives" since most Dom motos have really loud pipes. Talk about needless deaths and injuries.
There is progress, because the number used to be 80%.

Additionally 80% of moto accidents involve the pilot and alcohol.

And 80% are at night.

Moto accidents are the #1 cause if death to under 25 y.o. males in the DR.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
oh, so its improving. Excellent. My favorite is when they gather around for the stare of death over the cadaver. While we are on the motorcycle topic- there is one common moto driver behavior that I cannot understand. I am driving along on the higway and put on my turn signal to turn right. I slow down and as I make the right turn a moto tries to pass me on my right. They gotta know what a turn signal means. Who wants to be hit by a big car? Happens all the time. I have learned that turn signals mean nothing. Why would anyone be so suicidal?

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
ha ha ha you are on two wheels... you have to be twice as careful or twice as good...
i've had accidents, mishaps, and i can safely say (some people will differ ) if you ride a bike with two wheels and have a accident....involved in one (im sure that there is an exception) it is your fault...
oh...that person ran the stop sign and i hit them....
that truck made a sudden right turn.
i didnt see the car moving over...
i only had two beers.
i was looking at the chicks a--. your fault. you in hospital...sorry...

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
I'm not sure why this is crazy. There are are large percentage of motorcycles on the island. Isn't this like saying that "95% of the auto accidents in the Dominican Republic involve Dominicans", or "99% of marine accidents involve a boat"?

If the number is going down, it just means that less people are driving motorcycles, and more are driving cars.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
don't go trying to apply logic in your analysis. That's never helpful.

I'm not sure why this is crazy. There are are large percentage of motorcycles on the island. Isn't this like saying that "95% of the auto accidents in the Dominican Republic involve Dominicans", or "99% of marine accidents involve a boat"?

If the number is going down, it just means that less people are driving motorcycles, and more are driving cars.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

Probably the majority of vehicles on the road are motos so it should be no surprise that they are involved in most accidents. The problem is that many of these people never really learned how to drive correctly, don't get right of way and are not paying attention to traffic. If you are driving a car you really need to drive defensively and have your head on a 360 swivel. I've always felt that driving in traffic in the DR is like being in a real life video game. Sometimes you just want to run over or into these aggrevating moto drivers.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
I can understand not being a skilled driver. How do you not know that a flashing directional signal means that the vehicle is going to turn in that direction? Other bizarre practice is the way pedestrians walk behing your car as you are backing up. They do it all the time.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
oh, so its improving. Excellent. My favorite is when they gather around for the stare of death over the cadaver. While we are on the motorcycle topic- there is one common moto driver behavior that I cannot understand. I am driving along on the higway and put on my turn signal to turn right. I slow down and as I make the right turn a moto tries to pass me on my right. They gotta know what a turn signal means. Who wants to be hit by a big car? Happens all the time. I have learned that turn signals mean nothing. Why would anyone be so suicidal?

I have came so close to swiping on motos on both left and right turns. Dominicans on motos have no patience and no brains.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
and they use those bikes so much more than we do...and sometimes they have to ride them evan if they are not road worthy...bad shocks. bearings etc...

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I stopped in front of a colmado on the "main" country road. Of course no parking spots, u just pull over on the side of the road.
The pavement is more or less inexistant. My wife gets out the right hand door. I reach over and pull the door closed as a motorbike whizzes past on our right........dr aquired reflexes....:laugh:

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I also love the way they park their bikes 20 cm of ure front or back bumper, at a right angle......
A few times I have had one in front, one at the back...... I asked the guys what they thought the big xtra steel bumpers on my SUV were for........
It gets me twitching, the urge too run the bikes over....

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
bud of mine was driving to their campo and they had a huge plymouth .just driving along nice and peaceful when a bike hits them in the right front fender... driver dead...he was going to take the bike for the damage to the car but left it as he figured other peeps would dispose of it... police came to his place next day and asked questions....he left the scene...well known in area...
his wife never really got over it...