Huge strike/ huelga in Gaspar Hernandez today Tursday

Bob Boyd

Feb 3, 2004
It seems that the local syndicato is upset because the government won?t let them steal sand off the beach or from the Yassica River. The main road is blocked in both directions.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Cascos Negros

Once they bring in the 'cascos negros' and shoot 2 or 3, the sand will be left untouched.

donP

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
And it is the best possible sand for building because the high salt content.

NOT!!!!

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
And it is the best possible sand for building because the high salt content.

NOT!!!!

Is that something you have to watch for when buying sand? Or are the building yards good about not selling salty sand?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Supposedly, they wash the beach sand before they sell it??????????
Taking sand from rivers & beaches has been going on for decades here, and will continue.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
we just came back from there. started off to samana this morning. miesposo had to go back. we saw lots of police in sabaneta too, probably to be sent to GH.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
The road's blocked in Ca?a Dulce and at the bridge in central GH.......police are here doing the usual......standing around watching......

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
GH is the place where the mayor went prostrate on the street to stop the trucks from hauling sand to Cabarete

won re-election after that

caribeman

Dec 26, 2011
Enjoy meeting new people/cultures
I hope the keep them from doing it. Total $hit. They roll trucks down the road our road dredging it out and thinking no one knows at 4 or 5 AM when they roll by. Look at the beaches over here an see how far it has receded...

I hope the get their party broken up.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2003
In order to stop this practice, they would have to execute extra-judiciously some of these truckers and burn their trucks in plain sight for all to see that if they continue this practice there next. They were given a warning about the executions. Since we all know the Trujillismos of the past are long dead for the most part, sand will continue to be hauled away.

It'll stop for a time and then just as the tide, it will come right back. Burning the goods and executing the perpetrators are savageries of the past but they were darn effective at least within the DR. The crooks know the law don't mean business so it'll be the usual cat and mouse game. It will continue until they permanently destroy the environment.

Aug 6, 2006
I would imagine that some spikes in the places where the trucks get off the road to get to the beach might discourage them a bit. Tires are expensive, especially in sets of ten.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The truck drivers just haul the sand for a pay check.
Get the guys who pay them.
And the guys who buy the sand!
No Hope!!!!
They steal clothes of dead people here!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
There always seems to be a lot of activity on the highway when I go through GH to get to Playa Grande, Its usually a bunch of people with a rope across the road looking for some pesos. I pay up and roll through.