DR makes in onto a good list

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Nitpick - cava actually means cellar (usually a wine cellar) not cave. Cave is cueva, caverna or gruta.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Good that the DR got on the list and thank you for sharing. The Meson de la Cava is truly a special place. They also have a great Sunday brunch that serves many Dominican dishes among other international choices. And Tuesday evenings the outside Terrazas del Meson is always swarmed because there is live music.

On the list of great restaurants... had the pleasure to dine with my sister in July at Blue by Eric Ripert at the Ritz Carlton, said to be the most expensive place in Grand Cayman and having the reputation of being "the best." My sister, who lives in Dallas was drawn by the reputation of chef Le Barnardin in New York. We were staying at the Westin nearby, where I attended a conference.

The experience was good… but very over-rated.

It made me value even more a Punta Cana restaurant where a world famous chef has created a similar experience within a hotel... Passion at the Paradisus Punta Cana.

May I say that the experience of dining at Passion was very superior because the chef was much more creative, the dishes were more varied. And the price was half but for 100% more when ordering the taste menu with each dish coming with its own wine. At Blue my fish dish was overcooked. The sauce was very good, so had gotten through half when I commented this to our waiter who promptly took it back and the chef sent a new dish. Service was excellent and should be expected. The decor New York elegance, as observed in the review.

After that visit to Grand Cayman I can understand why Punta Cana resorts are doing so well. They are delivering value for money. In Grand Cayman I felt sorry for the American tourists who were paying so much.

Read about Passion… Dominican Republic Travel News - May 6, 2014

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
If you get to Meson de la Cava just as 4 tourist buses arrive, LEAVE!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
30 years ago it was great, now, not comparable!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
The restaurant at Hamaca de Dios is very hard to beat.

We ate there on Mom CB's last day here.

Simply an excellent meal & experience. Alida had a eggplant parmesean, I had churassco, and Mom CB had a filet with bacon, cheese and an excellent Bearnaise sauce. Flan for desert. Her filet was amazing-I'll have that next time.

Really interesting, eclectic menu.

Seriously, as good a meal as I've had in the DR.

And completely agree about Meson de la Cava. Excellent experience, spendy but worth it. It's a "must do" for folks traveling through StoDgo.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
If you get to Meson de la Cava just as 4 tourist buses arrive, LEAVE!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
30 years ago it was great, now, not comparable!
I've eaten there maybe 12 times and except for once it's not been packed at all. Lucky I guess.

Ate there 3 months ago. Excellent.

Got to spend time with the owner, a really interesting guy with some real history of the capital.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
The restaurant at Hamaca de Dios is very hard to beat.

We ate there on Mom CB's last day here.

Simply an excellent meal & experience. Alida had a eggplant parmesean, I had churassco, and Mom CB had a filet with bacon, cheese and an excellent Bearnaise sauce. Flan for desert. Her filet was amazing-I'll have that next time.

Really interesting, eclectic menu.

Seriously, as good a meal as I've had in the DR.

And completely agree about Meson de la Cava. Excellent experience, spendy but worth it. It's a "must do" for folks traveling through StoDgo.

I think the food could be better (I'm probably jaded from eating at so many different good restaurants), but the setting is hard to beat for sure. The best thing for me is the wife still thinks this was the best anniversary we've had so far...Stay at Gran Jimenoa and then go to Hamaca de Dios and timed it to be there for the sunset.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I think the food could be better (I'm probably jaded from eating at so many different good restaurants), but the setting is hard to beat for sure. The best thing for me is the wife still thinks this was the best anniversary we've had so far...Stay at Gran Jimenoa and then go to Hamaca de Dios and timed it to be there for the sunset.
When did you eat there last?

They've changed chefs.

I understand the "jaded" thing. Maybe I'm "unjaded" from not living in the states where good restaurants are everywhere. We don't eat out much anymore except on tour or on business away from Jarabacoa.