Anyone have Actual Experience with new Model Prisons?

intedserve

Mar 24, 2014
Does anyone have actual experience with the new Model Prisons? Are the claims that food, water, beds, bedding, clothes, etc. are provided to the inmates true, or is it a lie?

I have family in La Victoria (old style prison) - no food, water, bed, etc. provided. Police corruption and extortion is 100% throughout.

We may try to move our family member to one of the Model Prisons if the conditions are actually better and not just lie as unfortunately so many things here tend to be ...

Thank you in advance for any insights or experience you may have.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
A close family member visits the Moca facility regularly.

From what I've been told, it's a far cry from Victoria, but the worst of the worst weren't stored there, mainly non-violent drug dealers and such. If your friend was violent, it may be difficult to transfer there.

Clean and neat, they make items to sell, have a small colmado & garden area.

But it's still prison.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
we did regular deliveries to POP prison so probably not all the basics were covered (medicine, cleaning). supposedly that is a model prison. seems like it's fairly easy to break free from, thou. something to consider, eh?

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
If your friend can be transferred to a model prison, will feel has arrived in heaven coming from hell. Had a high school classmate who did two years in Najayo Womens. She always referred to it as "the resort." The understanding I have is that it would be comparable in austerity to a religious retreat. My friend taught English and kept busy until getting out half way through her sentence. From what I understand inmates are provided with basics in the understanding that all inmates are equal.

Read more about them here:
http://www.pgr.gob.do/Portal/Fernan...-Trato-humano-personas-privadas-libertad.ashx

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
It's much better than the old system. If you can get approval to get them transferred, do. It's still a prison in a third world country but conditions are much better, there's less corruption and blackmail (note I say less and not no) and they usually get 3 ok meals a day. And no, I havent been in prison.