Need Help about Moving to D.R. ???

JuanGonzo19

Dec 23, 2010
Hello everyone,

I am new on here. I need some info please and help from anyone that has made the move to D.R

I am planning on moving to D.R. in the next year or so. I will be moving with my mother, who is retired and recieves a total of of about 2,800 dollars a month with about 30 thousand in savings.

We both are native Spanish speaking, she is from Spain and I am half Spaniard and American,
most people assume I am Puerto Rican or Dominican. I work in Radio here in the U.S and
looking to possibly get a job there in Radio or even in a big hotel where can use my bilingual
skills.

We do have a good friend of ours that lives there. Is there a way to get a good decent
paying job ? We will be selling our home here in USA and more than likely get about 100
thousand dollars for it. Can we get a nice 3 bedroom home with a pool in a gated community for about 60-80 thousand there ?

What cities would you recommend living in DR ? We are looking at being close to the beach or somewhat close, safe area and not too expensive.

Does it cost alot to send your vehicle, clothes and furniture ?

We are looking to buying a home there with cash.

Thanks so much:)

Last edited:

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
First off, if your Mother applies to be a resident of the DR as a retired person and sponsors you at the same time, you wont be permitted to legally work here. It sounds like your family does not have any legal ties to the DR so your options are limited.

You have two choices:

1) Apply for legal residency by contacting the DR embassy closest to you.

2) Come here as a tourist and not leave when your visa expires.

Neither is a path to employment and one could see you asked to leave at some inopportune time.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hello everyone,

I am new on here. I need some info please and help from anyone that has made the move to D.R

I am planning on moving to D.R. in the next year or so. I will be moving with my mother, who is retired and recieves a total of of about 2,800 dollars a month with about 30 thousand in savings.

We both are native Spanish speaking, she is from Spain and I am half Spaniard and American,
most people assume I am Puerto Rican or Dominican. I work in Radio here in the U.S and
looking to possibly get a job there in Radio or even in a big hotel where can use my bilingual
skills.

We do have a good friend of ours that lives there. Is there a way to get a good decent
paying job ? We will be selling our home here in USA and more than likely get about 100
thousand dollars for it. Can we get a nice 3 bedroom home with a pool in a gated community for about 60-80 thousand there ?

What cities would you recommend living in DR ? We are looking at being close to the beach or somewhat close, safe area and not too expensive.

Does it cost alot to send your vehicle, clothes and furniture ?

We are looking to buying a home there with cash.

Thanks so much:)

First things first. If you are planning a move to the DR you need to contact the closest Dominican Consulate and find out the requirements (documents needed) in the DR. You will need to bring these with you when you move. You will need these to apply for residency. The next thing I would do is plan a vacation there for a least 2 weeks to check out a few areas. I would go on line and google various real estate web sites and see what the prices look like If your friend lives here I am sure he or she could make recommendations. Your price range looks low for a 3 bedroom house in a gated community. Remember when buying a property in the DR security considerations should be near the top of your list. If you ship your vehicle and possessions it could cost you upward of a few thousand dollars or more. As far as a job, being bi-lingual and Spanish is a definite plus but the salary range that you have in the US will probably not be anywhere close in the DR. You may want to consider trying to find a US company doing business in the DR and looking for someone. It sounds like you know very little about the DR. Nothing beats coming here to check it out. It will be a quick learning curve. If you want to be close to the ocean and also relatively close to Santo Domingo you might consider Juan Dolio. If you are interested in being in an area where there are many Europeans than perhaps Las Terrenas on the Samana Peninsula is for you. You need to due some homework while you are in the process of selling your US residence. Refining your wish list and where you actually want to be in the DR would help. I would suggest renting for a least 6 months to a year before buying anything here. Buenos Suarte.

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
You will hear this again: rent for 6 months before buying.

What I have seen is that the cost of renting is lower than buying; the opposite of the US.

You may want to check on what US taxes you will have from the sale of your house. So you net after taxes may not = net of sale.

Consider Santiago.

Tom

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I think that you need to check out some different places first. Probably see about getting a job. (get your papers for residency) and look around. The north coast and Punta Cana might have good employment opportunities for you but not suit your Mom. I don't think that you dream for a villa for that amount is realistic. You could get an apartment? That might even be better for your Mom as she would have closer neighbors and not be so isolated and car dependendent. Punta Cana certainly NEEDS English speakers. Where does your friend live and does he have any connections to find you work?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Why not return to Spain????????
How much time have BOTH of you spent here in the DR???????
Just because they speak a FORM of Spanish here doesn't make it a good place for everyone to retire, OR WORK!!!!
Your House budget won't get much of a house here!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

JuanGonzo19

Dec 23, 2010
Thanks so much for you advice, we have plans to go to DR next March for two weeks. Where would I apply for residency here or in DR ? Can I work then ? For apartments, how much would it cost for a 3 bedroom to rent ? We are actually interested in living close to the ocean.

JuanGonzo19

Dec 23, 2010
It's very expensive to live in Spain, the dollar is worthless there. we have never been to DR but going for vacation in March for 2 weeks

JuanGonzo19

Dec 23, 2010
I think that you need to check out some different places first. Probably see about getting a job. (get your papers for residency) and look around. The north coast and Punta Cana might have good employment opportunities for you but not suit your Mom. I don't think that you dream for a villa for that amount is realistic. You could get an apartment? That might even be better for your Mom as she would have closer neighbors and not be so isolated and car dependendent. Punta Cana certainly NEEDS English speakers. Where does your friend live and does he have any connections to find you work?

Why would the north coast not suit my mom ?

JuanGonzo19

Dec 23, 2010

My friend lives in Santo Domingo, and yes he could help me find work

JuanGonzo19

Dec 23, 2010
How is Sousa to live rent a 2 bedroom or 3 bedroom apartment with security ? Or do you recommend any others and how much per month, safety of course is important

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Well, if you have never been here, you may be in for a shock. What with the garbage and the hookers and the stray dogs. As to the North Coast... I do not know most of the towns but it is far away from the Capital, far away from cultural activities, and will not perhaps have that much company for your Mom. Also it does not have the best medical care, which is located either in the Capital or Santiago.

Here in the Capital, for instance, there are regular activities from the Embassy of Spain and many Spaniards, as well as the International Womne's Club, and the English library, among other things. There she could perhaps make friends with others of her age group and interests.

I am not saying that she might not adapt to life in Puerto Plata or Sosua or Las Terrenas, which has a large expat community from many countries, but they are primarily beach resort towns and after the beach, there is not that much to do. I think that there is a movie theater now in Puerto Plata, but she will not find theater, or malls or much else. Plus, she will be car dependent.. unless she is good at riding on the back of a concho.

There are parts of Juan Dolio that are nice// the little village is charming. But most of the apartment buildings are empty and there is a sense of a ghost town about it.

Bavaro might suit her, and you, but again, there is the car issue. Evidently there is a growing community outside the resorts of both educated Dominicans of middle management and foreigners. That might be your best bet in terms of both job opportunities and being close to the beach. There is also a branch of one of the biggest hospitals there. It is flat land, beaches for miles and miles, and not a lot going on, but it is near some fairly big towns.

Santo Domingo is right on the water, and although there are a couple of beaches, I would not swim in the water there. The nearest really good beach, Guayacanes, is forty minutes by car.. and car is really the best way to get there.

Rents really depend on where you live. Three bedrooms are harder to find than the two bedrooms as family size has gotten smaller. Go to supercasas.com and take a look. If you want to stay under the one third for rent, you probably can find things. And I know that everyone here says rent rent rent.. which you certainly need to do for the first year. But they are pretty strict about the rent increases in the Capital which go up either five or ten percent a year. I would suggest that you start out looking for a two bedroom, just to get your feet on the ground. Also, you would be able to buy a two bedroom apartment within your 100k price range.. an older one, perhaps, but still in a good neighborhood.

I am an elder myself and lived on the beach for two years or so and found that I was sort of shriveling up for lack of intellectual companionship. A single woman is not invited out that much, except, of course, by the much younger Dominican men who are looking for a Sugar Mama. Plus Dominicans are very family oriented and tend to avoid tourists in general and newcomers. It will take a while to make any friends and ex pat gathering clubs are good places.

But the most important thing is for you to find work, as you need the money and be bored out of your skull if you do not work. You need to start the residency process back in States... Google DR1 residency and you will find our 18,000 threads on that subject. I suspect that hotels will be your best bet, but the salaries will depress you. Do not expect more than US $500 a month and hope to work your way up. If you have experience, or classes or whatever, you will have a better chance but they do really need English speakers. It will not give you a living to start but you are in a situation which might allow you to take something less and grow.

The dream of a villa with three bedrooms by the beach in your price range, is, I think, long gone. Perhaps in a more isolated place in the Island, like Pedernales or Luperon, you might find something like that but it would be hard for you to find work.

Those are just my thoughts. First you have to come see the place. It is an Afro Latin Carribean island, the Spanish spoken here is not the Spanish of Spain, and many Europeans (I am just saying this in general, not about your Mom) seem to think that the place is "beneath them". (I am trying to find a nice way to put that. Spaniards are not particularly personally beloved here even though they are worshipped in principal. One of my friends said "in they end, they always remind you that they were the colonial rulers".

So come and see the place. But also consider perhaps other countries where the living is even cheaper.... $2800 is good here but it is nothing to write home about.. it will not bring a Huge lifestyle.. a good one, certainly, for one person. Local health insurance is primarily available only if one buys it before the age of 65, although there are companies who will write policies for other elders if they are in good health.

I do not want to discourage you. I came here 10 years ago and it was the best move of my life. But I knew the Caribbean well and had also looked and travelled in Central America and eliminated several countries before I came.

If you are only coming for two weeks, I would suggest that you stay in the Capital for at least three or four days, then rent a car and drive the North Coast a bit, from Puerto Plata to Las Terrenas, and see how you like it. Then, next trip, you can perhaps stay at an A1 in Punta Cana. Like that.. paso a paso

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
You will hear this again: rent for 6 months before buying.

What I have seen is that the cost of renting is lower than buying; the opposite of the US.

You may want to check on what US taxes you will have from the sale of your house. So you net after taxes may not = net of sale.

Consider Santiago.

Tom

Since the mother is of retirement age she will probably not have to pay any taxes on the sale of the house.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Neither of you have ever been here, but want to live here????????
That does not bode well for success!
After 2 weeks here things might look different!
You CAN live here cheaply, but you would not enjoy yourselves!!!!!!!
Health care might become an issue.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Back to E?

It's very expensive to live in Spain, the dollar is worthless there. we have never been to DR but going for vacation in March for 2 weeks

Well, when you are here, you'll see that life isn't that much cheaper than in Europe.
So why the DR?

Nowadays - due to the economic crisis - you can buy a nice little house in a civilized, much safer European country and your mother may like to come back to her homeland.

Your $ is worth 0,7872 EURO (today), quite a good rate as the Euro has been falling against the $.

In Spain you both would get residency easier.

donP

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Yeah, it definitely doesn't make sense to come to DR because Spain is expensive. DR is more expensive and no social provisions. Especially with an elder, you better be in a country with better, affordable health care than DR.

USD2,800 gives you EUR2,150. That's not bad in Europe. Several of my family in Europe live on that with 2 or more children. Not the most comfortable life, but everything covered and in good hands if something happens.

USD2,800 gives you 122,640 pesos in DR. That's a good income for two persons, but the big problem is there are no good provisions here. Health care is expensive, a GOOD insurance is expensive and than still they dont cover everything.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Strongly suggest you get to know some people who have lived here for more then just a few months out of the
year. I would never bring my mother down to this country to live. To many things going on here to list off. Villa's are
the least safe housing to live on the north coast. You should look at gated apartment communities with 24 hour security.
This country is survival of the fittest.

JuanGonzo19

Dec 23, 2010
Well, if you have never been here, you may be in for a shock. What with the garbage and the hookers and the stray dogs. As to the North Coast... I do not know most of the towns but it is far away from the Capital, far away from cultural activities, and will not perhaps have that much company for your Mom. Also it does not have the best medical care, which is located either in the Capital or Santiago.

Here in the Capital, for instance, there are regular activities from the Embassy of Spain and many Spaniards, as well as the International Womne's Club, and the English library, among other things. There she could perhaps make friends with others of her age group and interests.

I am not saying that she might not adapt to life in Puerto Plata or Sosua or Las Terrenas, which has a large expat community from many countries, but they are primarily beach resort towns and after the beach, there is not that much to do. I think that there is a movie theater now in Puerto Plata, but she will not find theater, or malls or much else. Plus, she will be car dependent.. unless she is good at riding on the back of a concho.

There are parts of Juan Dolio that are nice// the little village is charming. But most of the apartment buildings are empty and there is a sense of a ghost town about it.

Bavaro might suit her, and you, but again, there is the car issue. Evidently there is a growing community outside the resorts of both educated Dominicans of middle management and foreigners. That might be your best bet in terms of both job opportunities and being close to the beach. There is also a branch of one of the biggest hospitals there. It is flat land, beaches for miles and miles, and not a lot going on, but it is near some fairly big towns.

Santo Domingo is right on the water, and although there are a couple of beaches, I would not swim in the water there. The nearest really good beach, Guayacanes, is forty minutes by car.. and car is really the best way to get there.

Rents really depend on where you live. Three bedrooms are harder to find than the two bedrooms as family size has gotten smaller. Go to supercasas.com and take a look. If you want to stay under the one third for rent, you probably can find things. And I know that everyone here says rent rent rent.. which you certainly need to do for the first year. But they are pretty strict about the rent increases in the Capital which go up either five or ten percent a year. I would suggest that you start out looking for a two bedroom, just to get your feet on the ground. Also, you would be able to buy a two bedroom apartment within your 100k price range.. an older one, perhaps, but still in a good neighborhood.

I am an elder myself and lived on the beach for two years or so and found that I was sort of shriveling up for lack of intellectual companionship. A single woman is not invited out that much, except, of course, by the much younger Dominican men who are looking for a Sugar Mama. Plus Dominicans are very family oriented and tend to avoid tourists in general and newcomers. It will take a while to make any friends and ex pat gathering clubs are good places.

But the most important thing is for you to find work, as you need the money and be bored out of your skull if you do not work. You need to start the residency process back in States... Google DR1 residency and you will find our 18,000 threads on that subject. I suspect that hotels will be your best bet, but the salaries will depress you. Do not expect more than US $500 a month and hope to work your way up. If you have experience, or classes or whatever, you will have a better chance but they do really need English speakers. It will not give you a living to start but you are in a situation which might allow you to take something less and grow.

The dream of a villa with three bedrooms by the beach in your price range, is, I think, long gone. Perhaps in a more isolated place in the Island, like Pedernales or Luperon, you might find something like that but it would be hard for you to find work.

Those are just my thoughts. First you have to come see the place. It is an Afro Latin Carribean island, the Spanish spoken here is not the Spanish of Spain, and many Europeans (I am just saying this in general, not about your Mom) seem to think that the place is "beneath them". (I am trying to find a nice way to put that. Spaniards are not particularly personally beloved here even though they are worshipped in principal. One of my friends said "in they end, they always remind you that they were the colonial rulers".

So come and see the place. But also consider perhaps other countries where the living is even cheaper.... $2800 is good here but it is nothing to write home about.. it will not bring a Huge lifestyle.. a good one, certainly, for one person. Local health insurance is primarily available only if one buys it before the age of 65, although there are companies who will write policies for other elders if they are in good health.

I do not want to discourage you. I came here 10 years ago and it was the best move of my life. But I knew the Caribbean well and had also looked and travelled in Central America and eliminated several countries before I came.

If you are only coming for two weeks, I would suggest that you stay in the Capital for at least three or four days, then rent a car and drive the North Coast a bit, from Puerto Plata to Las Terrenas, and see how you like it. Then, next trip, you can perhaps stay at an A1 in Punta Cana. Like that.. paso a paso

Thanks Annie so much for your advice, it was very kind of you....