Moving to the Dominican Republic Soon

Gringonazo

Sep 27, 2014
Good Evening!

My family and I are moving to the Dominican Republic (Santo Domingo) by the end of the year. Without going into too much detail, I have secured employment, and we will be making Santo Domingo our home for the foreseeable future. We've narrowed down our apartment search to the Pol?gono Central. It seems that as I've been doing my research and due diligence, I've compiled quite the list of questions. I've also been fortunate to stumble across this site; and I must say that this community has been of great help since I first starting reading sometime in early March of this year. Would you all be willing to help me with some of my questions? I'm gringo de pura cepa, sin embargo hablo castellano con fluidez y sin problema. Era gerente de un equipo de 20 hispanos donde trabaj? mientras estudiaba espa?ol y relaciones p?blicas en la universidad. He pasado tiempo en Venezuela trabajando en los Andes. He viajado extensamente. jMi esposa habla con fluidez, tambi?n, debido a sus estudios en Sevilla.

But enough with that. We have a mont?n de preguntas, and you guys are the experts. I'm humble enough to realize that I'm no expert and need to remain vigilant. In all, I've spent about 30 days in all in the DR over about three different trips over the past two years. As I'll be posting more as time allows, I do have one quick question. What are some of the restrictions on the importation of a brand new vehicle? I know that a vehicle that is over five years old is not allowed, but what are the tax/duty implications? My employer in the DR will be obtaining my residency. I've heard conflicting stories, so could you guys please shed some light?

?Much?simas gracias desde el fondo de mi coraz?n!

Gringonazo

Sep 27, 2014
Thank you, Tashi, for your response. My employer is, in fact, taking care of the residency process for each of us. That looks like a tremendous blessing. We've not yet bought a car, but I do know that the car that I currently drive does not meet the requirements (1999 year/model with 109k miles). Some of our biggest, least clear questions are those centered on our move. More than likely, we'll be shipping our items in a container. Will we have to pay duty on all of our possessions (furniture, appliances, clothing, electronics, etc.)?

Gringonazo

Sep 27, 2014
Concerning taxes: What are you US expats who have a US income and DR income doing? How does the IRS treat the income that you earn in the US and in the DR? I've read that one is responsible for reporting his or her income from all external sources. I know I'll have to pay US Federal Income tax on the US side of my income but what about the Dominican side? Also, what are the Dominican tax brackets? I've read, also, that benefits (cell phone, housing allowance, for example) are subject to income tax in the DR. Is this true? Thanks, again, for your help. You guys are certainly a tremendous aide.

Aug 6, 2006
If you check with IRS.gov, you will find extensive tax information. If you live abroad, your tax brackets will be higher than if you lived in the US and and I believe that there is an exemption for taxes paid in the DR. IRS.gov is quite helpful if you ask them specific questions.

Gringonazo

Sep 27, 2014
I've poked around on the IRS site a bit, and it does have some good information. It seems, though, that everything is not quite as clear as it could be. Lots of "may" and "perhaps" are included in the language. I'm to the point where I'm going to pay to meet with a local accountant who specializes in expats with dual sources of income (in my case a US side and a DR side). Great recommendation, though. I appreciate it.

Aug 6, 2006
You can call the IRS on the phone and get more specific info as well. Write down the exact question and take notes.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
It is my understanding that the IRS will tax you on your US income and your worldwide income, minus the taxes paid to the Dominican Republic.

If you want an brand new car you are probably better off buying it here. As mentioned you need to own your vehicle for at least one year before importing it. Then there is the cost of shipping and taxes. The availability of parts and a qualified mechanic might be an issue for some makes and models that are not commonly seen here.

You will most definitely be expected to pay tax on your personal effects when they arrive at the port unless you immigrate under the "retiree" program. The climate here will destroy most of your north american furniture unless you have A/C running 24/7 (mold/mildew). 220V electrical service for NA stoves, clothes driers is rare. I'd recommend shipping as little as possible and no big furniture/appliances. I have yet to see a kitchen with a space big enough for my old KitchenAid stove.

Bring TV's, stereos, computers, clothes, fans, lots of prescription medication and a 55 gallon drum of peanut butter.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Do not bring a car from the US. Bite the bullet and buy one here. Trust me on this one.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Do not bring a car from the US. Bite the bullet and buy one here. Trust me on this one.

Huh? I'd give the exact opposite advice. I've had 5 cars bought here and 1 used car imported from the US, I'll probably never buy a used car locally again.

Firefighter

Apr 18, 2014
I was planning on importing my 2011 Ford Ranger pickup truck. Turns out it was cheaper to purchase a used newer vehicle in the RD than to pay transport and the taxes required. Might be worth looking at this area and not worrying about having your new imported vehicle being constantly "dented" by the local drivers

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
Concerning taxes: What are you US expats who have a US income and DR income doing? How does the IRS treat the income that you earn in the US and in the DR? I've read that one is responsible for reporting his or her income from all external sources. I know I'll have to pay US Federal Income tax on the US side of my income but what about the Dominican side? Also, what are the Dominican tax brackets? I've read, also, that benefits (cell phone, housing allowance, for example) are subject to income tax in the DR. Is this true? Thanks, again, for your help. You guys are certainly a tremendous aide.
Your employer may have a tax equalization program. The way they worked for me was to assure that I neither paid more or less taxes when I was outside the US. More: they paid, less: i paid the company. It also covered tax preparation for both countries.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
On the tax issue, you can exempt $97,000 of the money that you make here from the US taxes. But an accountant is a good idea. If you are smart enough to have landed a good paying job here in the DR, you do not need a whole lot of advice (clearly conflicting!) from us! Congrats and welcome///

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If you have the car for less than one year, then the tax breaks provided to new residents will not apply. It will be a painful process to import a new car, so consider the costs and aggravation.

Foreign earned income has an exemption from US taxes and that is best checked on the IRS website or calling them directly. The first $97 K is also the number I recall for the exemption as was already posted.

You will be exempt from, and in fact not even eligible for Obamacare in the US once you reside permanently in the DR, so keep that in mind. You may want to pick up an international plan if you think you might want to go to the US for any medical issues. Definitely have a good DR medical plan in any event.

Good luck.

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
On the tax issue, you can exempt $97,000 of the money that you make here from the US taxes. But an accountant is a good idea. If you are smart enough to have landed a good paying job here in the DR, you do not need a whole lot of advice (clearly conflicting!) from us! Congrats and welcome///

Be careful about that exemption i believe there are conditions that must be met or many US citizens would work here for simply 1 day per year.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Be careful about that exemption i believe there are conditions that must be met or many US citizens would work here for simply 1 day per year.

Clearly the person has to be a resident in the DR and not in the US for the exemption to apply.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Damaging Climate

You will most definitely be expected to pay tax on your personal effects when they arrive at the port unless you immigrate under the "retiree" program.
I was able to import household goods in a 40-ft container without paying taxes. That was long ago and then one could bring in 'personal effects' in the first 6 months while applying for residency.

The climate here will destroy most of your north american furniture ...

Good solid wood furniture will not suffer much (at least ours did not). We had more damage done to metal appliances (corrosion), bicycles, electronics (printed circuit boards, capacitators, etc.) Even plastic items became brittle and broke.
And mind you, we do not live at the beach... :ermm:

donP

Gringonazo

Sep 27, 2014
Thanks, panas, for all the replies. I knew that you all would be a wealth of information. My employer will be help with the move costs, a tremendous blessing. One of my friends in the DR who has dual citizenship and has just recently moved back to the DR from the US (shipped all items on one of the half-size containers) told me that it according to his experience and investigation, it's not much more expensive to ship the full-size container. That (and the horror stories I've read on this site about vehicles in the DR being flood vehicles or odometer roll back vehicles or damaged vehicles, etc.) is what was driving my decision-making process on a car. We were actually thinking about something like a KIA Soul or Sportage or a Toyota RAV4. We were planning on buying in the States due to the fact that we'd know the exact history of the car. What are the tax implications on a $17,000 KIA Soul, for example? I seem to have some a decent amount of these vehicles in the DR during my various trips.

Concerning taxes, the info I've gathered concurs with much of what you guys are saying. My tax situation will actually begin at the beginning of 2015 as I start January 1st. To receive the +/- $100,000 tax exemption on foreign-earned income, one has to be a "bonafide" resident (in my case in the DR). I'll meet the qualifications of bonafide residency in the DR. It looks like I'll also be able to deduct reasonable housing expenses. And, mountainannie, it looks like we think similarly. I'm meeting with an accountant soon, one who specializes in expat cases. I should have a better idea of the tax situation soon.

It looks like the income tax brackets in the DR are graduated up to 25%. That is, the highest income tax that an individual can expect to pay on his or her income is 25%. I've also read (although this is a bit fuzzy) that benefits are also taxable (benefits like a housing allowance or a cell phone). Is this true? Thanks guys for all the help. I really appreciate it.

Gringonazo

Sep 27, 2014
According to Fabio J. Guzman, our resident legal expert, in his article "An Overview of Dominican Tax Law" in Tax Notes International in February 2008: Dominican income tax law is primarily territorial. All income derived from work or business activities in the D.R. is taxable, no matter if the person is a Dominican, a resident foreigner, or a non-resident foreigner. Income derived from work done OUTSIDE the Dominican Republic by Dominicans or resident foreigner, is NOT taxable in the Dominican Republic. For tax purposes, any person residing in the Dominican Republic for MORE THAN 182 days in a year is considered a resident. The article is VERY informative about Dominican Tax Law. You can PM Dr. Guzman if you have any further questions regarding the laws here in the D.R.

For some reason, I skipped over this response. This is very informative. Thanks for the post.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I think the suggestion about a car was if you were buying a new car in RD.

Used ones can be problematic and to import, the car must be owned for 1 year before importing.

New is no problem and is not significantly more than importing a new one... w/ less hassle.
(so most people say)