Help Giving Back in Sosua

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
Hey all,

I have a question and thought where better to ask =)

By now you know from my other thread about the restaurant. We are finding ourselves with some food to discard almost daily. Because food is prepared fresh daily, if we don't sell all the food and have left overs at the end of the day we wont serve it the next day and I hate to waste. Sometimes vegetables, fruits, meats, breads, rice etc... These foods when discarded are in no way bad - but we discard well before they go bad. Some food is cooked - some is not.

I would like to donate these foods - some days are less than others but I need to find an arrangement that:

- Involves a local charity or a couple of really poor families (and I am not talking avg. Dominican families we see in Sosua Abajo) - I am talking poor, if I donate directly

- There has to be a way for them to come by when we close to see what we have - so I would think it should be an organization or family in Sousa. I need this to be convenient.

If you know what direction to point me in, that would be very helpful. Thanks

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
If you have any food that is left over or is about to spoil my housekeeper could use any scraps to feed her pigs as she now has 20 to feed and the cost of buying sacks of pig food is getting expensive.

She will even donate a pig at Christmas to whoever supplies an ongoing supply of scraps / garbage and we will pickup for your convenience

829 729 2959

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
Yep for food about to spoil or on the line, I have been feeding dogs - I have 4 regulars now lol... but they stay down the block because I don't feed them out front. Let me check with the guys on volume to see if I have enough to do pigs too. Do pigs eat rice?

I will also check in the Mustard Seeds community thing too for food that people could eat.

I just don't want to waste but need something convenient if we give it away.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
CJ

After all your White ASS men stuff - some of us will offer advice - there is a Childrens home that collects food at Playero but I dont know the details but will try to find out for you. Many of the other organisations are well catered for but there are some that need a helping hand.
It may be called El Casa Del Ninos and they are always asking for food, toilet roll etc.
It depends if you want to be in the "High" profile stuff or just give a helping hand!

Olly nd the Team

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
No - not looking to be high profile. Just want to make sure I help someone in a more desperate situation and that I don't have to deliver the food - that the organization or family pick it up.

CJ

After all your White ASS men stuff - some of us will offer advice - there is a Childrens home that collects food at Playero but I dont know the details but will try to find out for you. Many of the other organisations are well catered for but there are some that need a helping hand.
It may be called El Casa Del Ninos and they are always asking for food, toilet roll etc.
It depends if you want to be in the "High" profile stuff or just give a helping hand!

Olly nd the Team

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Do pigs eat rice?

pigs eat humans, as long as they are chopped to bite sized pieces. just an idea, you know, if you want someone to disappear :)

when i worked in a small cafe inside a gym in london i was responsible for disposing of all foods after closing. i would take some home and give the rest to the staff. maybe you can look at feeding some folks who work nearby? eventually you should have little to no food left at the end of the day, when you get a hang of food management. cook smaller portions of meat, for example: marinated raw meat can be stored without any issues. cut up less veggies, cook smaller batches of salsa.

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
Yeah right now I think its maybe enough food for dinner for 1 or two families and then a bunch of rice. We haven't been so bad with meat and produce management but the rice has been a night mare to estimate and there always seems to be tons left over - then some fruit, vegetables and meats

pigs eat humans, as long as they are chopped to bite sized pieces. just an idea, you know, if you want someone to disappear :)

when i worked in a small cafe inside a gym in london i was responsible for disposing of all foods after closing. i would take some home and give the rest to the staff. maybe you can look at feeding some folks who work nearby? eventually you should have little to no food left at the end of the day, when you get a hang of food management. cook smaller portions of meat, for example: marinated raw meat can be stored without any issues. cut up less veggies, cook smaller batches of salsa.

Aug 21, 2007
Yeah right now I think its maybe enough food for dinner for 1 or two families and then a bunch of rice. We haven't been so bad with meat and produce management but the rice has been a night mare to estimate and there always seems to be tons left over - then some fruit, vegetables and meats

Your restaurant is in an area where they are many poor people less than a block away. (There are rich people in the area, too, but this is not about them.) Thus, I think you have opportunities to be a good neighbor by getting to know the neighborhoods and who is who, and then helping those in greatest need. I have a foundation nearby. We give out food packets of beans and rice on a temporary basis to those in crisis - your restaurant's neighbors. Your landlord also regularly feeds some nearby poor. I believe if you speak to your landlord, he can give you good direction. And he could give the food away for you so you don't become the place where the poor come to mooch food.

Just a suggestion. Wishing you best of luck.

~ Lindsey

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
Yes I am aware of Wilsons work with the church and in the area.

As far as the local needy are you referencing the people who live in Villa Carolinas? I am talking about giving the food to the homeless... or is there a different barrio near by that I am unaware of?

We have enjoyed getting to know the folks in the community and have been giving work to the locals where ever possible, water etc... Do you live in Infiniti Blu Lindsay? A younger guy was in 2 weeks ago - internet marketing guy who mentioned I should meet someone named Lindsay who lives over there?? Same person?

Your restaurant is in an area where they are many poor people less than a block away. (There are rich people in the area, too, but this is not about them.) Thus, I think you have opportunities to be a good neighbor by getting to know the neighborhoods and who is who, and then helping those in greatest need. I have a foundation nearby. We give out food packets of beans and rice on a temporary basis to those in crisis - your restaurant's neighbors. Your landlord also regularly feeds some nearby poor. I believe if you speak to your landlord, he can give you good direction. And he could give the food away for you so you don't become the place where the poor come to mooch food.

Just a suggestion. Wishing you best of luck.

~ Lindsey

Aug 21, 2007
No, there are other neighborhoods within a block or so - 3 of them. Not so many homeless in the DR, as most just all pack into a one room flat, all living together. There is a woman who is mentally ill who lives on the street within a block. She will not accept anything from men, and I usually ask what she needs before giving, approaching her gently.

Yes, I live in Infiniti Blu. I am upstairs, above you, every weekday and at least one weekend day. Just stop by and introduce yourself.

We ate lunch at your place today. I have no idea who the internet guy was, though.

~ Lindsey

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
Sounds great!! I am back in a couple of weeks, I will be sure to come and introduce myself. Maybe you can show me who you're talking about. Thanks for the advice and thank you so much for your business today =)

No, there are other neighborhoods within a block or so - 3 of them. Not so many homeless in the DR, as most just all pack into a one room flat, all living together. There is a woman who is mentally ill who lives on the street within a block. She will not accept anything from men, and I usually ask what she needs before giving, approaching her gently.

Yes, I live in Infiniti Blu. I am upstairs, above you, every weekday and at least one weekend day. Just stop by and introduce yourself.

We ate lunch at your place today. I have no idea who the internet guy was, though.

~ Lindsey

msmfgf

Jul 12, 2013
Sounds great!! I am back in a couple of weeks, I will be sure to come and introduce myself. Maybe you can show me who you're talking about. Thanks for the advice and thank you so much for your business today =)

hang on ........
am i reading this right?
you just opened your new business & have left it for a couple of weeks?

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
hang on ........
am i reading this right?

Yup - we drove by twice in the last 3 days, hoping to try it out - CLOSED both times. And now we hear gone for a couple of weeks ??? maybe not the best business model.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Mustard Seed Communities has more than just a children's orphanage, they also have a ministry for people living at the garbage dump who no doubt eat scraps. I highly recommend you contact them at before considering donating this food to animals.

Their number is 809-309-9110, ask for Johanna.

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
Yes unfortunately. I have a business in Toronto and had to return here to tend to a couple of things.

Its not that big of a deal. Its only a couple of weeks and we have cameras set up. Also, I am very active on social media and am diligent about requesting feedback to ensure that we stay on the right track.

Finally, my sister is also involved in the business and we are looking at a rotation to ensure she is there when I am not =)

I really had no choice.

hang on ........
am i reading this right?

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
Hi Astucia,

Thank you for your post. I am sorry we missed you. I am not sure what times you have driven by - however in the past week we were only closed yesterday for the religious holiday - and last Wed for a different religious holiday.

We are open Mon-Thurs 9am-9pm, Fri and Sat 10am-10pm and Sunday 9am-8pm. If you visit on those days during those times we will sure to be open. Also, if you follow our Facebook page facebook.com.sosuarestaurant we post when we are closed due to holidays.

Finally, if it is during the day the windows in the front have advertising on them it looks dim inside. Some people have actually come in after previously thinking we were closed. I have thought of putting a plastic sign on the outside of the door with the hours in large print.

I hope you try us again :)

Yup - we drove by twice in the last 3 days, hoping to try it out - CLOSED both times. And now we hear gone for a couple of weeks ??? maybe not the best business model.

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
Thanks Chip. When I get back I will be reach out. I have to make an inventory of exactly what and how much food is being discarded daily and edible vs. not edible. It sounds like a great cause and perhaps we can do a drive or a little something extra for them as well.

Mustard Seed Communities has more than just a children's orphanage, they also have a ministry for people living at the garbage dump who no doubt eat scraps. I highly recommend you contact them at before considering donating this food to animals.

Their number is 809-309-9110, ask for Johanna.