Shipping in a blue barrel, wondering if the items I'm bringing will pass customs

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
I'm building a house here in Santiago and was planning on importing all of the trim items for my house such as door handles, specialty light bulbs, shower fixtures, faucets etc and planned on sending it all in one of the blue barrels that companies ship in for 100$ or whatever. I was wondering if those types of items would get stopped at customs for suspicion of resale. I hear a lot of people bring in rice and different cheaper items to get the barrels to pass customs easier. Anyone have experience bringing in barrels with items of high value such as these?

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Bb # 8

... Anyone have experience bringing in barrels with items of high value such as these?

The other day we received our 8th barrel. :bunny:
In one there were 2 very expensive items for a friend of ours, went through without any 'impuestos'.

We once also had 4 bicycles shipped. :classic:

I believe it also depends whom you have as a shipping agent.
Our agency in NJ charges more than 100$, BTW.

donP

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
I usually leave 2 bags of chocolate on the top. Bags are always opened but stuff never gone thru. I find the customs guys like the Kit Kats the best.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If you find a company shipping barrels for only $100 us please let us know who that is.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
If you find a company shipping barrels for only $100 us please let us know who that is.

our shipper would do it for a 100 bucks if you bring your own barrel ;) otherwise he charges 125 dollars, 25 being a cost of a barrel itself. from miami to your door in POP.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
yeh, probably best to give chocolates, hair shampoo, body wash put it on top...(where did it go?)

donP

Dec 14, 2008
BB Agencies

And how to you get it from where ever to Miami ??

It need not be Miami; there are many agencies doing BB's (mainly East Coast, however.)
Some deliver the empty BB to your address and collect it when full; a service we like.
We pay 30$ for the barrel itself.

donP

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
our shipper would do it for a 100 bucks if you bring your own barrel ;) otherwise he charges 125 dollars, 25 being a cost of a barrel itself. from miami to your door in POP.

Wow.. 25.00 for a barrel? Now I know why everybody keeps asking for our empties. I should start charging for them.

Aug 6, 2006
In the Opa-Locka Hialeah Flea Market, they sell the 40 gallon blue barrels with the lid and hoop to close them for $30. The first time I paid $25, the second one cost me $30. Shipping cost me $125 to San Cristobal, via SD.

The price in the DR is a bit higher, from what I hear. They are useful when the water is off for a couple of days and the tinaco is empty. They are very useful to save rainwater or an extra supply of water for a non rainy day.

I would say that it would be wise to get the ones used for shampoo ingredients like Sodium Laurel Sulfate,as opposed to something toxic like MEK.

In Santiago, people used to use barrels that had tobacco pest insecticide in them. They were metal barrels in those days, and people put three or four inches of concrete in the bottom to prevent rust out. They were usually labelled "DANGER! POISON DO NOT REUSE" in English and German.

I imagine these days, a skull and crossbones would be seen as a bold fashion statement.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We've shipped all sorts of expensive kitchen and bathroom fixtures, tools , kitchen appliances , tower fans, etc., in the blue barrels. Never a problem.. We do send bag of rice and 2.5 gallon oil with each shipment. From NJ we pay $115 for shipping , plus the cost of the barrel (which varies).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 6, 2006
Is it really cost effective to ship rice?
50 pounds goes for RD $900. In Miami, on sale, it is $20 for the brands they always put on sale.

Perhaps it is not the same rice. The rice they sell in Miami for $20 for 50 lbs. is long grain Louisiana grown.
I have not looked carefully at what they sell in the RD to compare it exactly.
It tastes the same to me.

Aug 6, 2006
Wild rice is not actually rice at all (though I really like it), and it is expensive everywhere.
I have yet to try pink or red rice.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
50 pounds goes for RD $900. In Miami, on sale, it is $20 for the brands they always put on sale.

Perhaps it is not the same rice. The rice they sell in Miami for $20 for 50 lbs. is long grain Louisiana grown.
I have not looked carefully at what they sell in the RD to compare it exactly.
It tastes the same to me.

They do not charge extra for shipping the rice and oil , they're loose outside the barrel/box. We like jasmine rice so we send a 50 pound bag with each shipment We buy it at SAMs Club along with the giant oil jugs in boxes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Rice + Oil with BB

It can be.
When you ship a blue barrel they allow you to add (outside the barrel and free of charge) a bag of rice and cooking oil (max. sizes I do not know).

10 lbs. of rice cost about 200/250 Pesos (depending on brand/quality) here.

donP

Edited:
Ah, just saw that AE said that.....

Last edited: