Night Rider

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
I drove home to Santiago from Sosua last evening and will never do it again.

These are just some of the reasons why I will never make that trip after sunset.

1) No road markings for long stretches. (The reflective plastic markers showing the lanes are missing from large sections of the road).

2) Drivers coming at you with their brights. Manfred Mann's song was the theme of last night.

3) Drivers behind you with their brights on. Double whammy felt like I was in a disco with strobes on me.

4) Piles of dirt/sand in the road with no signage warning of their presence.

5) Rain. The wipers on our vehicle weren't too bad but they left some steaks. That compounded with the lights made for a fun, "Game Of Life"

6) There was NO ELECTRICITY from Sosua until we reached about 2km before the Brugal warehouse on the outskirts of Santiago. Relying on the taillights of other vehicles was very handy.

7) Drunk people. Too many vehicles swerving and nearly causing accidents.

We made it home safe but my goodness that wasn't something I'd like to repeat.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I drove home to Santiago from Sosua last evening and will never do it again.

These are just some of the reasons why I will never make that trip after sunset.

1) No road markings for long stretches. (The reflective plastic markers showing the lanes are missing from large sections of the road).

2) Drivers coming at you with their brights. Manfred Mann's song was the theme of last night.

3) Drivers behind you with their brights on. Double whammy felt like I was in a disco with strobes on me.

4) Piles of dirt/sand in the road with no signage warning of their presence.

5) Rain. The wipers on our vehicle weren't too bad but they left some steaks. That compounded with the lights made for a fun, "Game Of Life"

6) There was NO ELECTRICITY from Sosua until we reached about 2km before the Brugal warehouse on the outskirts of Santiago. Relying on the taillights of other vehicles was very handy.

7) Drunk people. Too many vehicles swerving and nearly causing accidents.

We made it home safe but my goodness that wasn't something I'd like to repeat.

Driving here at night is always an adventure. Its certainly not for everyone.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Ha, try to road to Jarabacoa on Friday to Sunday night. Multiple passing on blind corners on steep hills, some with their high beams, some without any lights at all, Semis cutting the same corners, lots of drunks in their Lexus's, BMWs,....etc. I always pressure my wife to finish her shopping or business before dark.

Lothario666

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
And it's only going to get worse....

The other day, in sunny daylight, a Jeep type SUV was coming toward me and had a "WHITE L.E.D. LIGHT" that was about 18 inches wide and maybe 3 inches tall. It was blinding, and that was in sunny daylight.

This light was in the center of the vehicle, just that one light, brightest light I have ever seen.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
sometimes i wonder how did you guys manage to drive in your home countries? DR driving is fine once you establish all other road users are complete idiots. it really helps to mentally relax. all i can say is that i am glad there is no snow or ice in DR because then the only option would be tank. as is i am not so bothered anymore. granted, i do not like driving at night because i'm myopic and i cannot see all that well but it does not faze me.

Shackmack

Jun 9, 2014
You forgot a few I think:
Motos without any lights whatsoever
Tractor Trailers without any lights whatsoever
Cars without any lights whatsoever
Cars without any lights whatsoever passing another car and in your lane doing 180 km/hr

Jeepito

Dec 22, 2011
Last December

You forgot a few I think:
Motos without any lights whatsoever
Tractor Trailers without any lights whatsoever
Cars without any lights whatsoever
Cars without any lights whatsoever passing another car and in your lane doing 180 km/hr

Last December, I was driving a rental on the new Coral Highway heading to the Punta Cana Airport to pick up my cousing flying in from Paris to hang out for the Holidays.

I nearly killed a man on a moped with no lights whatsoever, saw him the last possible moment; swerved to the median and ended up with a flat tire. Luckily I wasn't going that fast and the flight was late. It was a cheap rental one of those "channa" things, not sure who makes them. However I'm sorry to say, I drove all the way back to Playa Nueva with my high beams on. I was courteous to turn them off whenever I was passing and had oncoming traffic.

Never again for me, it will have to be a life or death emergency to drive at night on any highway in the DR.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
at night it is best to drive a bit slower and a bit more towards the middle of the road to avoid motos, people and parked cars.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Almost hitting a giant horse sleeping in the middle of the road at 1 am in the mountains on the way to SD was the final near death straw of driving in the DR at night. Its bad enough for me in the light of day.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
And it's only going to get worse....

The other day, in sunny daylight, a Jeep type SUV was coming toward me and had a "WHITE L.E.D. LIGHT" that was about 18 inches wide and maybe 3 inches tall. It was blinding, and that was in sunny daylight.

This light was in the center of the vehicle, just that one light, brightest light I have ever seen.

I've seen this idiot I think. And it's a gringo....

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Almost hitting a giant horse sleeping in the middle of the road at 1 am in the mountains on the way to SD was the final near death straw of driving in the DR at night. Its bad enough for me in the light of day.

the consensus here , normally, to avoid night driving ....PERIOD

now there's a thread on night driving.....
like the game my children used to play

Backwards Day

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
If you HAVE to drive at night, try after 9pm. Most of the drunks are home after a snoot full after work. There are still some out, but not as many.

After 9 pm, the ones that are out there on the roads are REALLY drunk...so drunk they can't find the ignition switch or the cigarette lighter!

I find it much better after 10-11pm, really not that many people on the road and most are drunk all the time anyways or drive like it so it really isn't much different.

I don't get this not driving at night thing here you just have to be more careful.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
as the old saying goes.

Let's have one for the road.......

what for , ?? the road's laid out already.....

one for the ditch is more like it

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
if you happen to drive at night while "under" influence, drive slowly with your flashers on at the side of the road and try to avoid all objects....everyone knows u are having a problem....