Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Night Rider

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Night Rider

I drove home to Santiago from Sosua last evening and will never do it again.

These are just some of the reasons why I will never make that trip after sunset.

1) No road markings for long stretches. (The reflective plastic markers showing the lanes are missing from large sections of the road).

2) Drivers coming at you with their brights. Manfred Mann's song was the theme of last night.

3) Drivers behind you with their brights on. Double whammy felt like I was in a disco with strobes on me.

4) Piles of dirt/sand in the road with no signage warning of their presence.

5) Rain. The wipers on our vehicle weren't too bad but they left some steaks. That compounded with the lights made for a fun, "Game Of Life"

6) There was NO ELECTRICITY from Sosua until we reached about 2km before the Brugal warehouse on the outskirts of Santiago. Relying on the taillights of other vehicles was very handy.

7) Drunk people. Too many vehicles swerving and nearly causing accidents.

We made it home safe but my goodness that wasn't something I'd like to repeat.

2. Likes RV429, ramesses, frank12, Jumbo liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to night travel Dominican style.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

It sure isn't relaxing driving here at night, well or in the day!
    I hate that drive from Santiago to Sosua on that highway, I may be crazy but I much prefer the Moca!

5. Likes LindseyKaufman liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harleysrock View Post
    It sure isn't relaxing driving here at night, well or in the day!
    I hate that drive from Santiago to Sosua on that highway, I may be crazy but I much prefer the Moca!
    During the day I also take the Moca route. At night I tend to stick to the 'highway'...

7. Likes Harleysrock liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by amp View Post
    I drove home to Santiago from Sosua last evening and will never do it again.

These are just some of the reasons why I will never make that trip after sunset.

1) No road markings for long stretches. (The reflective plastic markers showing the lanes are missing from large sections of the road).

2) Drivers coming at you with their brights. Manfred Mann's song was the theme of last night.

3) Drivers behind you with their brights on. Double whammy felt like I was in a disco with strobes on me.

4) Piles of dirt/sand in the road with no signage warning of their presence.

5) Rain. The wipers on our vehicle weren't too bad but they left some steaks. That compounded with the lights made for a fun, "Game Of Life"

6) There was NO ELECTRICITY from Sosua until we reached about 2km before the Brugal warehouse on the outskirts of Santiago. Relying on the taillights of other vehicles was very handy.

7) Drunk people. Too many vehicles swerving and nearly causing accidents.

We made it home safe but my goodness that wasn't something I'd like to repeat.
    Driving here at night is always an adventure. Its certainly not for everyone.

9. Likes Harleysrock liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Ha, try to road to Jarabacoa on Friday to Sunday night. Multiple passing on blind corners on steep hills, some with their high beams, some without any lights at all, Semis cutting the same corners, lots of drunks in their Lexus's, BMWs,....etc. I always pressure my wife to finish her shopping or business before dark.

11. Likes frank12 liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

And it's only going to get worse....

The other day, in sunny daylight, a Jeep type SUV was coming toward me and had a "WHITE L.E.D. LIGHT" that was about 18 inches wide and maybe 3 inches tall. It was blinding, and that was in sunny daylight.

This light was in the center of the vehicle, just that one light, brightest light I have ever seen.

13. Likes frank12 liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

sometimes i wonder how did you guys manage to drive in your home countries? DR driving is fine once you establish all other road users are complete idiots. it really helps to mentally relax. all i can say is that i am glad there is no snow or ice in DR because then the only option would be tank. as is i am not so bothered anymore. granted, i do not like driving at night because i'm myopic and i cannot see all that well but it does not faze me.

15. Likes N/A liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

You forgot a few I think:
    Motos without any lights whatsoever
    Tractor Trailers without any lights whatsoever
    Cars without any lights whatsoever
    Cars without any lights whatsoever passing another car and in your lane doing 180 km/hr

17. Likes Harleysrock liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Last December

Quote Originally Posted by Shackmack View Post
    You forgot a few I think:
    Motos without any lights whatsoever
    Tractor Trailers without any lights whatsoever
    Cars without any lights whatsoever
    Cars without any lights whatsoever passing another car and in your lane doing 180 km/hr
    Last December, I was driving a rental on the new Coral Highway heading to the Punta Cana Airport to pick up my cousing flying in from Paris to hang out for the Holidays.

I nearly killed a man on a moped with no lights whatsoever, saw him the last possible moment; swerved to the median and ended up with a flat tire. Luckily I wasn't going that fast and the flight was late. It was a cheap rental one of those "channa" things, not sure who makes them. However I'm sorry to say, I drove all the way back to Playa Nueva with my high beams on. I was courteous to turn them off whenever I was passing and had oncoming traffic.

Never again for me, it will have to be a life or death emergency to drive at night on any highway in the DR.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast