Obtaining or renewing Residency

K

KenDP

Several reasons for this post:

1. To confirm what has been said previously about how much better organized the process of renewing residency is now that Migracion (Immigration) has its own building.

2. The new building is located quite a distance from center of city on the Malecon. It is next to the Agua and Luz Theater. You must take a taxi to get there if you don't have other pesonal transportation. When you give driver your destination, BE SURE TO TELL HIM it is on Malecon next to Agua & Luz. Otherwise you may end up at old location. This was my experience; drivers who have not taken passengers to new location yet may not be aware of the move. My driver certainly wasn't.

3. When you pay your renewal fees, after buying your tax stamps, BE SURE TO tell the cashier you want the VIP service if you want to get your card in 15 minutes instead of a week. Otherwise she won't collect the additional RD$500 and you won't get this service. The person who tended to me did not ask if I wanted VIP service, something I wouldn't have known about if I hadn't read of it in a previous posting. She just wrote on the form the basic things, minus the VIP. My wife and I considered the additional RD$500 money very well spent.

I found the employees very helpful and eager to please. If anything, they appeared overstaffed, but it meant almost no waiting in line. This renewal was the best experience we have had. The only disappointment was that again we were allowed to renew for only two years.

A

aristoba

renewal residency.

thank you Ken.
now this was a usefull posting.
instead having to read about TW complaining about Hatians.
This indeed helps.This is good to know for all the expats here.

A

aristoba

more usefull information please.

where and how do you renew the cedula..?
is there a VIP service available as well..?
where and how do you obtain your driverslicense.
where and how do you get a gun permit.

K

KenDP

Where Renew Cedula?.

I'd very much like to find this out myself. The question was asked on this message board previously, but I don't think it was ever answered. At least I didn't see the answer if it was.

D

DR1

Re: more usefull information please.

Cedula renewal is at the Junta Central Electoral (off Plaza de la Bandera). Call to confirm, but the last I was aware you could wait for it.

Driver's license can be renewed at the La Sirena Mall at Gustavo Mejia Ricart and Winston Churchill, as well as many other locations in Santo Domingo. Also fast service.

Gun permit renewal is at the Ministry of Interior and Police.

H

hillbilly

Ken, it is a piece of cake

Fortunately I had my own guide- PIB, but it really is a piece of cake.
You go over to the big arch, go around to the Junta Central Electoral, and in BACK of the main building there is this little temp building where they make the cedulas for the foreigners. it took us all of 20 minutes. Just ask if you get confused, since, apparently they are asked twenty times a day.

HB