Making bread in Santiago - success (,finally)

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
I had great success with making bread this week. Problems:Solution

Oven not calibrated and no measure of temp:oven thermometer used to some success with cakes. Final solution: bread machine (up to 2 lbs). Bob's in baggage, others at National and LS

No rise: replaced yeast, got 10 lbs of bob's redmill plus some gold medal; threw away all Blanquita.

Kitchen aid bread machine Amazon $60US in luggage. Price here 150.

I can now make bread using a repeatable/dependable process.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I was always trying to make good bread, to no avail. Wife brought me back from europe, packets of yeast and baking powder.
Miracle, it works !!!! Conclusion dr yeast is not for me.

Although she also brought back lots of "special" flour, I find the dr white colmado flour is just fine.
No machine for the dough either....... by hand....

I am now trying to master croissants.........

Aug 6, 2006
I think you can keep a colony of yeast going forever and thereby avoid having to buy it each time.

All you have to do is feed it flour.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Levapan Double Usage

There is very good fresh, imported yeast ("Levapan") available at about 75 Pesos/lb.
I only use 200 g for my rye sour dough bread (3 large loaves at a time).

The rest is used by my wife....... for a face mask..... :classic:

donP

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Yeast Colony

I think you can keep a colony of yeast going forever and thereby avoid having to buy it each time.
All you have to do is feed it flour.

+ sugar + water....

However, such a yeast colony can be infected with bacteria or mould spores.
In order to make a healthy good bread I'd not recommend that yeast recipe. :rolleyes:

donP

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the simplest recipe for bread machines:
1 and 1/3 cup of liquid
2 spoons of oil
2 spoons of sugar
2 teaspoons of salt
4 cups of flour
2 heaping teaspoons of yeast

for liquid i use beer, tomato juice or water from a can of olives (use less salt then). i also add herbs (fresh or dry), roughly cut up onions, garlic, cheese, olives,sun died tomatoes,capers and whatever else takes my fancy. you can mix the flour using up to 1/2 of wholewheat. if you put more you'd have to use wholewheat cycle that pre-heats the ingredients.

if you want to make it into sweet bread you can use apple juice for liquid (or other juices), grated apples, cranberries and/or raisins. replace oil with butter and add two more spoons of sugar.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
you can add stuff at the start or when there is a beep signaling that you can add it. basically it depends whether you like the machine to grind whatever you add (then at the start) or to have it chunkier (then at the beep). some additional ingredients can change the dough. for example i only use chopped or sliced garlic and crushed garlic is too oily. capers and olives are wet so you may want to check the dough and add a bit of flour if needed. you learn as you bake, basically :)

i am very lazy so i let the machine do the dough but i always take it out, put it in oiled baking pans, let rise for an hour and bake in the oven. much better results.

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
speaking of bread , I am in the US as we speak and a week ago I was in a dollar store "everything actually costs a dollar " and I saw a bag of Fleischmanns pre-mixed multi-grain bread so I figured hey what's a buck , So I figured lets check it out ? It came with a pack of yeast so all I had to do was proof the yeast add water let it rise for 48 mins. throw it in the oven 35 min. and I have to say it blew me away , better then anything I ever had made in the DR. so I looked it up on line and their are many companys that sell pre-mixed bread in bulk (you don't really think all of those places that claim to make ther own bread are making it from scratch) I think that's the way to go if you really w3ant good bread in the DR.