Rent in Santiago

SkyBlues

Apr 8, 2011
Moving to Santiago so I'm looking for an apt/small house to rent. Which are the safe areas and which should I avoid? Need a quiet area and my budget is 10,000 pesos.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I live in El En Sueno, Santiago, an older established area, safe, with older but nice homes.
You shouldn't have to much trouble in that price range, maybe 1 or 2 thousand a month more, max....
Avenida Francia is the main street that runs through this neighborhood............
Been here a few years and I have never had a problem...............
2 minute walk to 5 different colmados, butcher with fresh meat, excellent bakery, pharmacy, EMI taxi stand, conchos.........
5 minute walk to the Monument, 5 minute taxi ride to the Metro Bus Line, and a 1 minute walk to a great BBQ stand.
A very convenient and safe area.............
If interested in this area, PM me for more details...........

B in Santiago

SkyBlues

Apr 8, 2011
I work from home so I need reliable orange internet connection with minimal luz blackouts. Live with my spouse and mom. Quiet area day and night is a must.

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
I work from home so I need reliable orange internet connection with minimal luz blackouts. Live with my spouse and mom. Quiet area day and night is a must.

To make sure you have electricity you will need to invest in a power inverter (inversor). There is no way around that.

You can find a quiet area but for RD$10,000 you'll be hard pressed to find a 3 bedroom. A 3 bedroom in a decent area with some noise will be in that price range for sure, probably one bathroom though.

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
For more reliable electricity get a place with an inverter or get one.

For better internet get orange AND tricom or get an orange USB to cellular as back up.

For quiet go to another country.

Where do you live now?

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
Electricity service comes with a predicted level of availability A thru D I think. A is most available. With the circuit number you can use the Edenorte web site to determine availability and average usage for the area.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
waytogo, doesn't power go out in that area only once a week?

Pretty much so.......
The one thing EdeNorte likes to do, almost daily.........
Is turn the power off, on, off, on, off on, in 5 second increments........
Like they are purposely trying to burn up your appliances.........
The one pulling the switch must be getting kickbacks from the store chains.........
The house I am in is properly grounded, so far so good, nothing has been destroyed.........

B in Santiago

shorts

Dec 3, 2012
^^^^^But a small UPS solves that.

So it's not completely necessary to invest in an inverter setup.

Feb 7, 2007
My Inverter has a waiting period of about 60 seconds after the power comes in. So on-off-on-off somebody having fun at Ede would make it stay in inverter mode.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
The budget is a deal breaker.. I can't recommend anything remotely safe or quiet that a foreigner will be able to rent for 10k or below. If your wife is Dominican and has connections here that would be your best bet if someone will give you a deal knowing you or your wife are reliable and respectable. In my area (gated community), 3 bedroom rentals start at 30,000 and there is no rentals available. Previously I lived in a small, newish 3 bedroom in El Dorado II (kinda safe and kinda quiet area) and paid 17,000 monthly which was a bit overpriced but not much. With 10k as a budget I'd be prepared to live in a fairly unsafe area or TINY apartment.. the only exception is if you have connections that can hook you up with a huge discount.

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
The budget is a deal breaker.. I can't recommend anything remotely safe or quiet that a foreigner will be able to rent for 10k or below. If your wife is Dominican and has connections here that would be your best bet if someone will give you a deal knowing you or your wife are reliable and respectable. In my area (gated community), 3 bedroom rentals start at 30,000 and there is no rentals available. Previously I lived in a small, newish 3 bedroom in El Dorado II (kinda safe and kinda quiet area) and paid 17,000 monthly which was a bit overpriced but not much. With 10k as a budget I'd be prepared to live in a fairly unsafe area or TINY apartment.. the only exception is if you have connections that can hook you up with a huge discount.

I'm within the budget and live in a safe area. The only problem is the noise sometimes.

It's able to be found, just can't settle on the first thing you see and listen to Gutierrez for a few weeks to pinpoint the hotspots for crime.

Apr 7, 2014

There are plenty of GATED areas for 10K pesos. I just saw one in, in person, in Urbanizacion Henriquez, brand new 3rd floor, 3 BR, 3 Banos, with a watchy and a cameras and what not. Of course I dont know if the cameras work, but it is a nice cosmetic touch. I dont know how you got into a 17K El Dorado place. I have a female friend who lives over there and she also is paying 10K for her 3Br place. I thought the place in Henriquez was great with the 3 banos and all, tile floor and outlets and closets.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
10k sounds like an exceptional deal for a "livable place". My luz is double that.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
el dorado...walk the streets.... lots of apts.... deal breakers...$ i loved it there...up high nice breezes...good views...

fr0gman

Aug 5, 2012
Two years ago we got a nice, new, 2 story, 3 bed, 2 bath, with service quarters, with security gate in Gurabo for $12500/mo. We had to put in a water tank and inverter. It is a typical working class neighborhood with older homes. Super quiet at night, but about 6:00 am things wake up and the constant buzz of motos can be hard to ignore at first.

We are very happy. The only thing I wish was better is the internet. I have a mobile unit from WIND. On a good day I can gt uploads in the .9 range and downloads in the .35 to .55 range. Problem is that I often need to video conference with people back in the States and that can be frustrating. Any ideas on better internet.

Back on topic, if you care still looking, my neighbor's cousin has a lot of rental property. I can connect you two and see what he can find for you.

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
Totally agree with Sayanora......I have lived in Santiago for approximately 8 years and the area, Monte Verde, I live runs from $(US)1,000 to $(US)3,000 per month but the houses/solares are large. To buy a house here starts at $20M pesos and that's for the smaller ones.

May 12, 2005
Your budget does seem a little low but anyways, I suggest you have a trusted Dominican local scout a few places for you and get quoted rents. Then go back with him to see those places. Helps avoid the gringo pricing, although in Santiago that is less of a concern than in other locales in the country.