Mosquitoes

ranges2004

Oct 16, 2005
I puttered about in the north coast of the DR in past years & learned, as much as the mosquitoes would drive me up the wall, to live with bug bites as part of life on the island. Now I have a couple of rugrats & would like to stay for the medium or long term in an area with fewer of these pests, if possible. I realize that there is no way to avoid them altogether, but from what I remember in some places they would eat me alive & others I could go for long stretches with nothing whether or not it had rained recently. I'm just trying to figure out the reasons behind that. Coastal breezes, maybe? I've heard somewhere that high altitudes help, but I really did prefer the north coast even after enjoying the beauty of the country's interior.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
north coast seaside is a low lying coastal plain with tons of pests. Up in the hills its much less with fabulous summer afternoon breezes. The summer winds are so strong I had to put door stops on all the doors to keep them from violently slamming. At about 15mph the moskys are grounded. In the hills we get a few but its no problem. Go down to the city, the beach, the seaside and out they come. Good news is that the new mosky sprays work great, are easy to apply and do not stink. The risks of getting chikungunya alone are enough to keep me in spray. So far its working for me. Very little standing water on steep hillsides.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
north coast seaside is a low lying coastal plain with tons of pests. Up in the hills its much less with fabulous summer afternoon breezes. The summer winds are so strong I had to put door stops on all the doors to keep them from violently slamming. At about 15mph the moskys are grounded. In the hills we get a few but its no problem. Go down to the city, the beach, the seaside and out they come. Good news is that the new mosky sprays work great, are easy to apply and do not stink. The risks of getting chikungunya alone are enough to keep me in spray. So far its working for me. Very little standing water on steep hillsides.

I found that this year there was MUCH more mozzies up here in the hills. Also it was very, very hot.
I never bothered with hunting the mozzies before, but this year it was an invasion.....
Locals say it was because this year, the finca next to my land didnt put cows or clean the fields....... and stuff doesnt half grow here in the hills......it seems to sprout up over night.

But the hills seems to be the best place climate wise in the dr. Hot and sunny most of the time, but not too hot. More than enough rain. Dew in the morning. Lovely breeze ( except when the doors slam and make the whole place vibrate :p ). Cooler nights, sometimes even cold in the winter.

ranges2004

Oct 16, 2005
Something like Cabarete beaches? If the ocean breezes are good enough for regular kite surfing then something along the waterside may come out pretty well, I'd guess. Otherwise a nice place as high as I could come across around Isabel de Torres may be relatively good?

Last edited: