Taking a cat or dog to the UK

sunlover23

Sep 13, 2005
I've just taken my pet back to the UK,so here are the latest requirements.
Firstly DEFRA is now called AHVLA.Check their website for the last info.You need to use a shipping agent and cannot do this yourself.It's best to travel direct with Thomson and their exclusive agent is AIA Pets.Go online,complete their form and they will give you a quote.It's not cheap.My medium size cat cost ?830.They will cover the ticket and all shipping documentation.Tel 0203 432 7828. email, pets@aiacargo.com
The animal needs a Serology Test (blood test) against rabies and the injection.If you have this done in the DR,allow 4 months as the testing is sent to the States or Europe.You need documentation.Then 3 days before travel go to a vet who is qualified to check the animal's health and give prevention for ticks and fleas.(Check if a dog needs something extra).The certificate costs around 2000RDS,depending on the animal.Photocopy all documentation.
You need a specific box for the pet to travel in.If you are already in the DR,you may need to have one made from wood.It must have one plastic bowl for water by the door and one fixed in at the back.There has to be a funnel with tube feeding into one of the bowls and fixed (although removable) onto the mesh door,It needs 2 carrying handles.Bedding must be shredded paper and you put a towel on top.Check the regs and sizes online.Don't feed the day of travel,but give water.
At POP airport,check in first,and make sure you jump the queue.Find the Rep if pos and say you have a pet with you.Then you have to visit the vet,who checks what your vet did and issues a Health Certificate costing 400RDS.You then go to Caribe Cargo ,and after a long walk,will arrive where they check all documents and take your pet to the plane.
When you get on board,ask a steward to check that the pilot knows there is an animal on board.At the UK end,you will have been told by AIA Pets where to collect your pet.Good luck