Is wholesale priced chicken available

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
If I wish to purchase whole chickens, already frozen in large quantities, say 200+ pounds at a time, can this be done at the wholesale level in the Santiago area. This wouldn't be a one time purchase, it would be continuous..........If the best pricing requires more than 200 pds per purchase, this is not a problem.

I have long time friends in the Campo that are very poor and many times don't eat every day, and this includes the children. If I can pass the savings on to them with wholesale pricing it would help them considerably. If this can be done, I will look into an excellent quality deep freeze that will hold the temperature when there are power outages. Any help would be appreciated by me and by them..........

OOPS, didn't mean to put in Off Topic......
Seems like I live there........lol

B in Santiago

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
In my experience chicken is cheaper in the campo. In any decent sized village there is a "chicken shop", gringo chicken that go from egg to plate in 40 days....... In our campo they are bought by the lorry load once or twice a week ( from somewhere in POP), fed on premises and killed and cleaned on demand. Price at chick shop, 40 to 45 pesos la lb, less if u buy them alive.
Maybe u could go to the source in POP ??

Also, people in the campo prefer free raised chicken, that take much longer to raise, 10 to 12 months. Of course the price is higher. The meat has more taste and a much darker colour. Hence people in the campo raise chickens in the back yard.

Last year I heard of a place not to far from me who was clearing out hangars of chicken ( something to do with not being able to sell them the other side of the border ). They were selling at 100 pesos for a live chicken. Which is a bargain.
We bought loads, spread them around. Froze a whole lot for our own use too.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
If I wish to purchase whole chickens, already frozen in large quantities, say 200+ pounds at a time, can this be done at the wholesale level in the Santiago area. This wouldn't be a one time purchase, it would be continuous..........If the best pricing requires more than 200 pds per purchase, this is not a problem.

I have long time friends in the Campo that are very poor and many times don't eat every day, and this includes the children. If I can pass the savings on to them with wholesale pricing it would help them considerably. If this can be done, I will look into an excellent quality deep freeze that will hold the temperature when there are power outages. Any help would be appreciated by me and by them..........

OOPS, didn't mean to put in Off Topic......
Seems like I live there........lol

B in Santiago

I've seen imported chicken thighs in 20lb bags at Bravo for 29 pesos per lb.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I've seen imported chicken thighs in 20lb bags at Bravo for 29 pesos per lb.

That's a great price, Bravo is 5 minutes from me..............
Being imported they are most likely frozen, which is good.
The Colmados in Villa Bao sell their chicken at 50 per pound.
The best price I have found for thighs, cut and fresh is 43.95 at PriceSmart...........

B in Santiago