Birthrate down in the Dominican Republic

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Birthrate down in the Dominican Republic

A recent study by the National Statistics Office (ONE) has found that while from 1990 to 2010 the number of births was around 200,000 a year, the trend shown during 2010-2015 suggests there could be a slowdown to around 100,000 births a year by the end of this century. The report says that in the 1950s each woman would have around seven children on average, but this declined to three by the 1990s and as of 2010, Dominican women were having around two children. ONE speculates that the birthrate could decline to one child per woman by the end of the century.

The research also found that the infant mortality rate was also down in 2010. In 1950 the infant mortality rate was 155 deaths of children under the age of one per every 1,000 live births. By 2010 this had declined by 83%, with 27 deaths per every 1,000 births.

Source: DR1, DiarioLibre

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Something is happening with the "go forth and multiply" situation.

Speculation that it could turn into "division" by the end of the century.

May 29, 2006
Dominican women were having over 6 kids per capita in 1960 and it's down to just over 2 nowadays.

It's happening all over the world regardless of religion. The number of worldwide births is stabilizing and is expected to do so for the next century. Much of the population growth in the next century will come from more people living longer and population growth in Africa, which has yet to stabilize. We'll peak around 10 billion around 2050.

Religions and babies

May 29, 2006
it's ok. haitians are making up for it as we speak.

It's about 3 kids per woman in Haiti, down by about half since 1960. Education and work for women along with access to family planning is far behind the DR.

Aug 6, 2006
They say that when rural places in Brazil had electrification and could receive TV, the birth rate dropped from 6 or 7 to two.
Telenovelas trumped sex.

May 29, 2006
They imply that because the birth rate has dropped to 2, it may drop to one. This hasn't been the case in most of the world with a few over-populated Asian countries as the exceptions. What happens is once the birth rate drops to about 2, women spend more time getting an education and better jobs and delay having kids until they're in their 20s or 30s and are more careful about who they will let get them pregnant. It would be nice if the birth rate for girls under 15 dropped to near zero..

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
My wife is pregnant with our fourth....when I was a child (one of 6) we were considered a big family (probably rightly so), but 4? that was a normal family. Nowadays when we go somewhere with our 3 children and my pregnant wife you see people looking at us in unbelief: ANOTHER ONE?!

"Ahora me imagino que cierran la fabrica, no?"

I was happy to be raised in a big family and I am happy to have three and soon four children, God willing. And I'm not closing any factory.

Another comment (we have two boys and one girl):
- "Que va ser, ya saben?"
- "Si, es un var?n."
- "Ay guacala!"
:rolleyes:

Birdman

Jan 29, 2013
I thought you were Dominican the other day now I know that you are Haitian.

My wife is pregnant with our fourth....when I was a child (one of 6) we were considered a big family (probably rightly so), but 4? that was a normal family. Nowadays when we go somewhere with our 3 children and my pregnant wife you see people looking at us in unbelief: ANOTHER ONE?!

I was happy to be raised in a big family and I am happy to have three and soon four children, God willing. And I'm not closing any factory.

- "Si, es un var?n."
- "Ay guacala!"

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009

- "Si, es un var?n."
- "Ay guacala!"

I am surprised, didn't think you would get this type of reaction in the DR.

Congrats on your 4th one ! Would have loved a big family as well.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i don't like kids. never did. some people tell me i was once a child myself. so? it's like a difference between wiping your own ass and an ass of a homeless man who lives on a diet of prunes and metamucil. besides, even as a child i hated other kids with a passion and i spent most of my young years wishing that by brother was given up for adoption.

i remember that wen i was in primary school a mother of one of my friends had two more kids back to back. and she already had 3 kids, the oldest one being 20 or so. i still wonder about the conception process since that woman looked like mama june with a mustache. even then i thought that more than two kids was a pathology and i stand my this notion. i fail to understand the purpose of having kids altogether. ever since childhood i always said i did not want to had kids and i kept my word.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
only reason to have a bunch of kids is you own a chicken ranch and need the labor.

That's the Chinese model. In the school of my inlaws there are a bunch of Chinese kids, they all have to work in their parents businesses in the afternoon and some parents would prefer they don't go to school to work in the morning as well.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
here is our final objective:

D0015-492.jpg

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
like an orchestra

I like your family station wagon back in the upper left corner of the photo

Good point.....anyone knows where I can have a third row build in an American version Santa Fe of 2010? (Or who would change a Toyota Sienna for a Peugeot 307......:knockedou )