What's Going on North Coast

Aug 21, 2007
Okay. So maybe this thread is not what you expected when you clicked on it. If Mods choose to move it, I am not offended. However, there are lots of good things going on in the Sosua area and they don't all involve alternative activities. Or maybe this is an alternative activity.....

My foundation, Strength for the Journey, has been operating in Sosua (working on the North Coast for almost 10 years) for almost a year now. We completed construction on an unfinished church that agreed to share the space in order for us to provide educational activities for kids from Monday through Thursday. These activities include homework help sessions, education via technology (25 iPads and laptops loaded with educational apps,) guitar, bongo and singing classes, (we provide the instruments) art class, and ballet. And we have a small children's lending library of books. All these activities are free to lower class Dominican and some Haitian kids in Sosua.

The parents of most these kids are not at home during the late afternoon/evening hours. If the kids did not engage in classes at our center, they would be out on the street. When our activities end, that is where I see some of them go. Perhaps some of "our" kids are children of the prostitutes or women friends whom the men on DR1 or elsewhere come to visit.

Tonight we had our first ballet class. It was a joy for me to see the 13 and 14 year-olds, placed next to the 6 and 7 year olds, yet respecting the discipline, gaining self esteem, learning what healthy activities are available for them, and challenging their bodies. Sadly, I knew two of the girls would leave the class to go on the street. Afterwards, as I returned home, I passed 6 more of "our" kids hanging out after dark.

Anyway, I go home tired each night, but knowing that good has been done. I am not doing this alone. Over the months and years, volunteers have helped to build this initiative. People from the North Coast and all over the world have donated money, art supplies, musical instruments, books, consultation services, and ballet clothes. These individuals do not write on dr1 what they do. They just dig in and help out. They are the unsung heroes.

So that is the other side of Sosua, the one you don't always hear about, the Sosua that many here slam the town officials for working to support.

When visitors leave, these are the individuals still here to pick up the pieces and help out those that have been left behind...the people working for a better Sosua.

I apologize for the length of this. Perhaps most won't read it. If you did, know that you are a better person for being aware of what goes on behind the scenes. Thank you.

~ Lindsey

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
It would help if the people that are making a difference and adding value would speak out in a forum sometimes ! sosua does have another Cheek ( hehe ) so let's see more of it shared from time to time ..... Not ads ,or requests for donations , just what's up and the decent things your involved in . thanks Lindsey K for sharing

It would help if the people that are making a difference and adding value would speak out in a forum sometimes ! sosua does have another Cheek ( hehe ) so let's see more of it shared from time to time ..... Not ads ,or requests for donations , just what's up and the decent things your involved in . thanks Lindsey K for sharing

Agreed, I wish more of the good peeps of Sosua(or anywhere in the DR) would post on here!

Aug 21, 2007
There are lots of these little groups working to help out in Sosua. Mine is only one. AAAS. DR Castaway Kids. Monkey Jungle. Back to the Beach. Dr. Bob's CrossRoads Mission. (LOT's of missions.) Even ISS gets involved, requiring volunteer hours for the students. These are the groups that come to mind. Sorry if I forgot one. Please add to the list.

But there are also many, many individuals on the North Coast who are not aligned with any one group, but just help out one way or another, tossing in a donation, buying food packets of beans and rice, giving volunteer hours working at the sight or in the field, donating clothes, shoes, and materials, and supporting charity events.

I would venture to guess that most living here full-time or visiting regularly who have gone beyond what is available for tourists have been involved with charity work at some point here on the North Coast. They just don't go around telling everyone about it.

But, perhaps your point is well taken. We who live here should post more on this board about what we have going on in our lives and in the area. There is much, much good.

~ Lindsey

Aug 21, 2007
Oh, my! And now other groups are coming to mind. I knew I would forget some.

Please, everyone, name your group and tell a little about what you do.

~ Lindsey

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
We are in Sosua but don't belong to a group. Every month we help a struggling young family who are working hard and trying to stay afloat.

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
It's great to hear what you, and many others, are doing, Lindsey. At New Life Church in La Mulata, we have a youth group for English speaking 13 year olds and upwards where they can get involved in all kinds of activities..... Sosua and Cabarete people help in the work I'm personally involved with at an orphanage in Haiti. There are many very kind and generous people in this area. Then there is Pauline Wren's Project Isobel up in El Choco where she helps rescue horses and provides a safe place for local kids to learn to care for animals and take on new responsibilities.... there are many, many more, as you say.

Jul 28, 2014
There are many good things in Sosua, even though it is a bit notorious for the "Shady side", for example, the folks who own the Jolly Roger would donate to many charities in and around the Sosua area too help children/folks in many ways. Also, the owner of Rumba, Robert Anechiarico (Bob), who has since been deported, also donated a lot to many great causes for children and community alike

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
Hey Lindsay,

You mentioned on another thread being upstairs a lot. Is what you are doing in conjunction with what Wilson is doing?

Okay. So maybe this thread is not what you expected when you clicked on it. If Mods choose to move it, I am not offended. However, there are lots of good things going on in the Sosua area and they don't all involve alternative activities. Or maybe this is an alternative activity.....

My foundation, Strength for the Journey, has been operating in Sosua (working on the North Coast for almost 10 years) for almost a year now. We completed construction on an unfinished church that agreed to share the space in order for us to provide educational activities for kids from Monday through Thursday. These activities include homework help sessions, education via technology (25 iPads and laptops loaded with educational apps,) guitar, bongo and singing classes, (we provide the instruments) art class, and ballet. And we have a small children's lending library of books. All these activities are free to lower class Dominican and some Haitian kids in Sosua.

The parents of most these kids are not at home during the late afternoon/evening hours. If the kids did not engage in classes at our center, they would be out on the street. When our activities end, that is where I see some of them go. Perhaps some of "our" kids are children of the prostitutes or women friends whom the men on DR1 or elsewhere come to visit.

Tonight we had our first ballet class. It was a joy for me to see the 13 and 14 year-olds, placed next to the 6 and 7 year olds, yet respecting the discipline, gaining self esteem, learning what healthy activities are available for them, and challenging their bodies. Sadly, I knew two of the girls would leave the class to go on the street. Afterwards, as I returned home, I passed 6 more of "our" kids hanging out after dark.

Anyway, I go home tired each night, but knowing that good has been done. I am not doing this alone. Over the months and years, volunteers have helped to build this initiative. People from the North Coast and all over the world have donated money, art supplies, musical instruments, books, consultation services, and ballet clothes. These individuals do not write on dr1 what they do. They just dig in and help out. They are the unsung heroes.

So that is the other side of Sosua, the one you don't always hear about, the Sosua that many here slam the town officials for working to support.

When visitors leave, these are the individuals still here to pick up the pieces and help out those that have been left behind...the people working for a better Sosua.

I apologize for the length of this. Perhaps most won't read it. If you did, know that you are a better person for being aware of what goes on behind the scenes. Thank you.

~ Lindsey

Aug 21, 2007
Hey Lindsay,

You mentioned on another thread being upstairs a lot. Is what you are doing in conjunction with what Wilson is doing?

Wilson uses the space for a church 2-3 nights a week. We are a separate group, not affiliated with his church but in a contractual agreement to share the space for our foundation's activities during other times. We completed construction of the shared space during the first 6 months of 2014.

Would still like to hear from other North Coast groups and not have this thread be only about mine.

~ Lindsey

nsgirl

Nov 4, 2008
I had no idea you volunteered with Project Esperanza Der Fish! I have been volunteering with them since 2010. They run a school and a hostel in Munoz as well as the art shop. There is another school in Padre Granero, as well as an English Immersion camp in the summer. There's a boys home for Haitian street kids in Puerto Plata as too. I made the trip to Cap Haitian and a small village near there this summer with Caitlin and her husband to visit the community he comes from and explore the possibility of helping at the school there. Caitlin is amazing and has gone above and beyond to help others.
I had the chance to visit with Pauline Wren at Project Isobel this summer as well and was very impressed! Definitely a project worth checking out!
There's also A Servant's Heart Ministries and A Serving Heart, both located near Sosua who are great.
And then the animal rescues!! AAAS, Animales en Peligro Sabaneta, Dogs and Cats of the Dominican Republic.... So many people trying to do good:)

Milo Mitt

Jul 21, 2014
Every time I have visited Sosua and the nearby cities - I have done my reflections and i will leave it with that.

I admire all of you who is trying to make a difference for the families and kids who struggle in their daily life.

Keep up the good work even though it might feel tough sometimes!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
rotary club or whatever it is called. i believe they have branches all over DR. here in POP area they did many medical projects with free consults and medicine.