New banknotes circulating since yesterday

Aug 6, 2006
Are they going to be plastic, like the discontinued $20 peso note?
It seemed to me that they circulated those as some sort of test of acceptance and durability, and that it did not work out.

Aug 6, 2006
They appear to all be the same size. There is a special mark in the upper left to make partially sighted people or perhaps color blind people to distinguish them more easily. They do not seem to be plastic, like the $20 peso note, which will not be reissued.

They are prettier than Euros or dollars (if you ignore the value of course). It is nice to see someone other than politicians on money (as in the case of the Mirabal sisters and Henriquez Ure?a and wife). I would like to imagine Mark Twain on the $2 bill, perhaps Hemingway on the Hundred and Frost on the Fifty.

Duarte is ideal, since he said and did heroic things, but never was allowed to run the country, and all his enemies were far less idealistic than he was. Rather like Marti in that respect.

Costa Rica had the prettiest examples long ago, when ten colones was worth something worthy of a bill.

For the blind, the design of the Euro is hard to beat: each one has a different size.

The lack of imagination prize has to go to the PRC, with Mao, Mao and more Mao on all the money.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
different size of the notes is a smart move. we have this in poland too:

34s5nhj.jpg

yes, dominican money is rather pretty.

Aug 6, 2006
I see that Zloty notes have changed to more ancient national heroes. Guys with crowns rather than guys with those eight-sided military hats.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
it's polish kings. probably the only characters with universal recognition and appreciation.

Aug 6, 2006
They claim they made some subtle changes in the colors. I imagine when you get a new bill and an old one and compare them side by side, this will be more notable.

Aug 6, 2006
There was a topic not covered in all my years of education" the kings of Poland.
They never mentioned the Mormon War or had much to say about either President Harrison, either. I think they did mention Trujillo, once, in high school.