Old Bay Seasoning

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Is Old Bay Seasoning like a unicorn in the DR?

Anyone know if/where I can find some?

Or, like Jimmy Dean Sausage, will I have to get some imported by friends?

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
I will keep my eyes open for this in santiago and let you know. I use this a lot for crab cakes.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I will keep my eyes open for this in santiago and let you know. I use this a lot for crab cakes.
That, and some shrimp recipes, is what I'm looking to do.

Crab cakes without OBS are pretty lame.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Something in the deep recesses of my memory tells me I've seen it at Playero. It is a must for Crab Cakes and as a Marylander I can say that with confidence. It's sold in small packs as well as the tins. I put it on deviled eggs as well.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
SOMEHOW?????????
The last box I shipped from Boston, had a tin of ?Old Bay? inside, and it was broken open.
Customs???
It was spread through out the entire box, especially the clothes!!!!!!!!!
Smelled GREAT, looked orange!
Try Amazon online, they have EVERYTHING!!!!!
I try not to have any on hand, it makes TOO MANY things taste TOO GOOD!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

The problem with the, ?Tastes Just Like OBS", is that if you bought all the ingredients here, it would cost $100 US to make it!!!!!

Amazon price,...$4.34 for a 6 oz. can.
Free Shipping IF part of a $35.00 order!
Cant beat THAT!!!!!!

Last edited:

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
I have a case of Old Bay seasoning (large cans for restaurants) sitting here in our storage room. You can have a can for free if you know someone passing through Cabarete and heading to Jarabacoa.

Frank

May 29, 2006
Frank, that's insane. Try it on some Home Fries, already salted French Fries, or Fries with some melted cheese on it. Having a case of it sitting around is a crime when it is such a great multi-tasker.

I keep a one pound tin of it in my cupboard and that will be about a one year supply(just for me). Mostly celery salt, but about ten other ingredients. Also adds some nice zip to wing sauce~ I use a cup every time I make a half gallon of sauce: enough for 30 pounds of wings. That's a teaspoon and a half per serving.

As for seafood, I make a compound butter with a half cup of Old Bay mixed with a pound of softened butter. Saute your shrimp(butterflied) in a 1/4c of the butter then arrange the shrimp around a mound of rice. Finish by pouring the rest of the melted butter over the rice. The butter is also great on corn on the cob..

Now I wonder if there's an unused case of Montreal Steak Seasoning around somewhere..

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I have a case of Old Bay seasoning (large cans for restaurants) sitting here in our storage room. You can have a can for free if you know someone passing through Cabarete and heading to Jarabacoa.

Frank
Very generous, Frank, but I'd prefer to buy it. I'd also pay shipping and handling to Jarabacoa via CT, since I don't know when someone will be coming between the towns. Just let me know how much and I'll get some $$$ to you right away.

:)

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
I love Old Bay, too. Assuming you find it try it on corn on the cob. If you really want to be indulgent put mayo on the corn and then Old Bay.

May 29, 2006
As for Jimmy Dean sausage, check my recent post on the recipe thread. I'll be making my own next time I come down. About $50 for the equipment and not hard at all to make in small batches. Don't know about the casings, so I'll bring some down. Old Bay is pretty good with pork too!

Long time ago I brought Marco a pound of Montreal Steak Seasoning at Rocky's. He was very appreciative.

Recipe for Jimmy Dean type sausage:
http://lpoli.50webs.com/index_files/Link-JDean.pdf

Last edited:

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Thanks, but I found that these "just like" recipes tend not to be "just like."

I tried a "just like" JD, Church's & Hooter's wings recipes. Not "just like."

Besides, I don't even know what cardamom is. That may be a DR unicorn, too...

I have cardamom. I'll put some on Caribe if you want.

Matilda

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
I love Old Bay, too. If you really want to be indulgent put mayo and then Old Bay.

oh yeah!!

Ingredients

Shrimp Burgers:

1 pound peeled and deveined medium shrimp
1/3 cup panko breadcrumbs
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 scallions, white and green parts, thinly sliced
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/4 cup canola oil
Old Bay Mayo:
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon Old Bay seasoning

4 brioche buns, halved and lightly toasted
Avocado slices, for topping
Lettuce leaves, for topping
Tomato slices, for topping
Directions
For the shrimp burgers: Coarsely chop half of the shrimp. Put the remaining shrimp in a food processor and pulse until smooth. Combine both shrimp in a large bowl with the breadcrumbs, lemon juice, salt, garlic powder, pepper, scallions and egg and mix. Refrigerate for 10 minutes, and then form into 4 patties. Refrigerate 10 more minutes.

Heat the oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the burgers, about 3 minutes per side.

For the Old Bay mayo: Combine the mayonnaise and Old Bay to taste in a small bowl.

To serve, spread the buns with the mayo and place the burgers on the buns. Top the burgers with the avocado slices, lettuce leaves and tomato slices.

Read more at: Shrimp Burgers with Old Bay Mayo Recipe : Katie Lee : Food Network

Last edited:

Shackmack

Jun 9, 2014

Frank

If its of any interest.. OLD BAY was a product made from a german immigrant with a last name of Brunn who sold it to the women at the fishmarket in what is now the Inner Harbor of Baltimore. The family guarded the recipe fiercely as many people attempted to copy it, including the Mc Cormick Spice Company headquarted there.

Eventually his son Ralph Brunn expanded the company operations to various locations where the spices were grown including as I recall Minnesota. Ralph sold the company for $40M to I beleive a german company in mid 1980's. (Mc Cormick bought it later from them.)

While Ralph was a bit eccentric one would have never guessed his wealth. In 2007 I bought a one story rambler style home in an average neighborhood just outside the city from a man who identified himself only as "Mr Brunn".

Last edited:
May 29, 2006
It would be nice to see a Unicorn thread here along with things you can get but at more than four times the price.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
If you'll be through Bavaro in late October, I can have some brought over in luggage. I do the same with jerk seasoning (the locals I know have never tasted it before and they love it on chicken, fish, and burgers).