Generator

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
What is a good reliable brand of Generator, and where to purchase one? Is there a way to quiet down a generator?

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
Diesel, size is yet to be determined. More concerned with knowing the better manufactors , and if they can be quieter this point.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Put the generator in a pool house or other ventilated enclosure to reduce noise pollution. As already mentioned an after market muffler is an option but is not as good as concrete walls.

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
I am definitely housing the unit, I know kabota products, they are good. I would be hesitant to buy a Chinese unit. Am I mistaken?

21yearsinDR

May 29, 2013
I think I wrote this before in some other treat …
I would highly recommend the brand “Himoinsa”.
We have a Himoinsa generator for several years now and it is the best I have ever bought. (We had a small Kubota before and Himoinsa is better..)
We bought the generator at Ferreteria Ochoa in Santiago . It is big - around 18 kilo - diesel and LOW noise.
It is insolated and it is standing in the yard without any cover and the noise is far lower than many generators standing inside a “house”. You can stand next to it - talking - without going crazy..
We NEVER had any serious issues with that generator. It is automatic, so it goes on automatically if the light goes out. Not even the transfer system, which is build into the generator has given us any issues.
The only issue is the fact that the fuel tank is small for a 18 kilo generator, so we bought a separate tank for 200 gallons diesel - and it is standing next to the generator.
We paid around 300.000 pesos for the generator 6 or 7 years ago.
The service from Ochoa was very good and the guy, who installed the generator was surprisingly professional.
Himoinsa makes smaller generators too - 11 kilo I remember for sure and I think an even smaller one too. Important is to say you want a LOW noise generator ( they are not all insolated)

21yearsinDR

May 29, 2013
Well, the link I posted is for a very commercial webpage - sorry for that, but at least you can see, that the brand is not some weird Chinese stuff :bunny:

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
drescape24 ,
Also bear in mind that most of these Genratos are THREE Phase and most houses only wired for TWO Phase ! So a 18 kWatt/KVA Genrator will only provide about 12 kWatt on Two of its three phases without overloading the working phases.
Most houses use a max of about 12 kWatt for a three or four bed villa with AC and electric water heating.

Olly and the Team

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Idle Diesel

I would be hesitant to buy a Chinese unit. Am I mistaken?

Well, I replaced my 6-cylinder 16-kW Kubota machine with a Chinese model. It has a Yanmar diesel in it, however, that may also have been built in China.

I went for a cheaper back-up solution after we had the solar system installed.
In fact, I only run the diesel every 2 months for 20 minutes for its lubrication.

I might as well sell it...but then you never know... :paranoid:

donP

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
Thanks for the great insight everone! I know yanmar engines for sailing, and the good reputation that have. I am glad to see they are being used in generators.