Decision time TODAY, which AI??

May 20, 2012
Please help! Gotta make a decision right away....like now, even.
Never been to Punta Cana before or stayed at an AI before, so need your collective wisdom ASAP please. For 8 nights, it's about US$220 difference in total price, so not that different in cost.

RIU Palace Punta Cana
or
Gran Bahia Principe Punta Cana??

THANKS!!

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Seems that they both have four star ratings on Trip Advisor, which is what I use to make up my mind.

I went to the Grand Bahia Esmeralda in Bayahibe and it was excellent except for the a la carte restuarants in which the service was very rushed.

You may get some responses from posters who have been to both, but the responses on
Tripadvior are going to give you a better picture.

May 20, 2012
Yes, I looked at TripAdvisor. And they seem so equal. That's why I wanted DR1er's advice. Who knows which of those reviews are real or ??
Seems that they both have four star ratings on Trip Advisor, which is what I use to make up my mind.

I went to the Grand Bahia Esmeralda in Bayahibe and it was excellent except for the a la carte restuarants in which the service was very rushed.

You may get some responses from posters who have been to both, but the responses on
Tripadvior are going to give you a better picture.

DRdreaming

Jul 29, 2014
I have stayed at both, and I prefer Bahia. All rooms are suites, 10 restaurants to choose from, and if you upgrade to Golden Club, you have 24 hour room service, and a lounge with free wifi. Palace didn't have the free in room wifi when I was there, but I have heard that while it is available now, it isn't reliable.

DRdreaming

Jul 29, 2014
If you are looking for a long term rental I would assume you would be looking in El Cortecito or Los Corales and Bahia is closer.

DRdreaming

Jul 29, 2014
Taxi from El Cortecito to Riu is about $40 USD. About $30 USD to Bahia, if I remember correctly. I stayed at Iberostar, next to Riu for years before I bought my condo, and spent a lot on taxis going back and forth to El Cortecito. I finally stayed at Barcelo Dominican Beach, and while not 4 stars, comfortable, good price, and right in El Cortecito. Upgrading to a suite there was cheaper than staying in a regular room elsewhere.

DRdreaming

Jul 29, 2014
If you need any help looking for a place let me know. Long term rentals are a little hard to find right now as most units are booked for high season, but I know of a few.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Please help! Gotta make a decision right away....like now, even.
Never been to Punta Cana before or stayed at an AI before, so need your collective wisdom ASAP please. For 8 nights, it's about US$220 difference in total price, so not that different in cost.

RIU Palace Punta Cana
or
Gran Bahia Principe Punta Cana??

THANKS!!

RIU
Great place, also gives you access to the other RIU's which are connected by a beach promenade.

May 20, 2012
Thank you all for taking your time to help!!!

Different advantages to both.....this helped, now I don't think we can make a mistake here. That was kind of my fear.

So I actually flipped a coin! RIU won.

I will make a trip report afterward if anyone is interested?