American Airlines losing interest in POP

Jerry K

Jan 1, 2002
CAP-HAITIEN, Haiti (HCNN) -- A Boeing 757 aircraft landed on Thursday at the newly built international airport in Haiti's northern provincial town of Cap Haitien, as American Airlines operated its inaugural international flight to a Haitian airport other than the one in the Caribbean country's capital Port-au-Prince.

Haitian President Michel Martelly, Prime Minister Laurent Lamothe, Tourism Minister Stephanie Villedrouin, the Minister of Public Works, and several other members of the government as well as high-ranking representatives of American Airlines attended the event at the new international airport renamed after late Venezuelan leader Hugo Chavez.

Martelly, who wore a T-shirt with the legend "Cap Haitien is open for business", left Port-au-Prince on Wednesday evening to board, in Miami, Florida, the first international commercial flight to Haiti's second largest city of Cap Haitien.

"This is not just a flight, this is the beginning of a series of activities that will bring economic opportunities, investments, jobs and development to the whole greater northern region," Martelly told the Haitian-Caribbean News Network (HCNN) on Thursday.

"We are proud to be able to achieve this after several unsuccessful attempts by previous government, since 1952," said Martelly, who thanked the Venezuelan government, which provided most of the funds for the project.

The Cap -Haitien airport had been operated for decades as a local paved airfield serving several areas in the northern region.

American Airlines senior Vice-president, Art Torno, said his company had its sights on the Cap Haitien destination for a long time and expressed satisfaction with the realisation of such a dream.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
This is very big and good news for Capo but I don't see this having anything to do with POP. AA continues to operate MIA to POP. JFK and SJU routes are gone due to other reasons (Jet Blue, high costs, etc.).
Interesting that Venezuela footed the bill.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
American Airlines flying their dirty planes to Haitian destinations and funded by Venezuela? Seriously,what could go wrong? I somehow missed where AA is losing interest in PP. Haiti president Martelly is a real smoothy saying this will "bring economic oppoetunities, investments, jobs and development to the whole greater northern region". How do you figure that I wonder. Flying drugs in and out maybe? Some real pr b.s.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
This is very big and good news for Capo but I don't see this having anything to do with POP. AA continues to operate MIA to POP. JFK and SJU routes are gone due to other reasons (Jet Blue, high costs, etc.).
Interesting that Venezuela footed the bill.

Thus the ridiculous name of Hugo Ch?vez International Airport, in Haiti.
They may as well have named it Duvalier or Napoleon Airport.
As usual it's all about the money.

"On 18 April 2013 a spokesman for Haitian Prime Minister Laurent Lamothe announced that the airport will be renamed to "Hugo Ch?vez International Airport" in honour of the late Venezuelan President, a day before Haitian President Michel Martelly was scheduled to attend Nicolas Maduro's inauguration ceremony in Caracas. A statement by the Prime Minister's spokesman Gary Bodeau said "President Ch?vez has done his best to help Haiti in the most difficult times. He has contributed over $1 billion to assist Haiti and is beloved by the Haitian people. As a tribute to him, and for his work to Haiti, we have decided to name the airport in Cap-Ha?tien in his honour."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugo_Ch?vez_International_Airport

May 29, 2006
What does this have to do with POP?

I avoid AA when going to the DR. Last time I took them they miss connecting flights coming and going which resulted in my going to Santiago instead of POP on the way there(arriving at 7pm instead of 3PM), and Miami instead of Hartford Conn on the way back. They couldn't get me to Hartford the next day, so I had to go to Boston instead and then pay my own way for a three hour $50 bus ride. I had to go directly from the bus station to work.. At least they didn't lose my luggage, on the way back, that is...

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Explain what?The original poster tried to pretend it was about POP, but in actuality it was about Haiti. Maybe to be on topic? And to pretend it was DR related?

Give the op a break. You gotta be kidding?? Come on...

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
not only dirty planes but old dirty planes. Getting to the DR via Miami one is stuck with AA unless you want to arrive in Santiago at three in the morning.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
not only dirty old planes, but nasty old employees .... add to that you have to fly with predominately Dominican passengers :)

not only dirty planes but old dirty planes. Getting to the DR via Miami one is stuck with AA unless you want to arrive in Santiago at three in the morning.

Aug 6, 2006
I have flown with AA four times in the past year and a half and have not noticed that the planes were dirty or old. Once, they took four days to get my luggage to me, otherwise I have no complaints.

GWOZOZO

Bronze
Dec 7, 2011
Haiti is a country of 10 million with a large north-american diaspora.

A northern international destination is not a big deal. The planning started under Preval.

Diasporas heading to the north and latibonit with no business in potoprens now have an alternative.

Venezuela footed most of the bill....so the name Hugo Chavez.