Trajabadora?

Jenny429

Oct 10, 2005
The one thing I know for sure is that they don't come easy.. it's tough to find one that is honest, loyal, and really does a good job. When you do find one you've found a gem.

I've come across quite a few gems here in the DR, but unfortunately they are all working now and I'm stuck with having to try new people. This really puts me un easy..

Any tips you all have for finding a good woman to work? It's a small apartment in San Francisco.. but looking for a Live-in that will stay with me for about 3 months. (Till Christmas)..

Where do I look? I used to use my sister in-law but she's way too Dominican for me.. I asked for her to get me a cook for today so I could finish cleaning up, un packing, etc.. and she told me she couldn't find anyone for 200 pesos.. It's just to cook!! Most don't make that! When I agreed (stupidly) for 500 (I am desperate) the woman came and told me it was very little for what I was asking her to do.. (Cook comida and then peel my platanos for tonight.. ) And sweep and mop the kitchen before she leaves.. Wow.. I realize I was being taken advantage of with even 500... but it really put a sour taste in my mouth for my sister inlaw finding anyone else..

I'd love some ideas..

Thanks

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I guess the problem is those 500 pesos just don't go as far as they used to.....

There is no question you are on a search for what is nearly "unabtanium".

Jenny429

Oct 10, 2005
Did you mention the four chihuahuas?

4 Chihuahuas? They don't have to do anything with the chihuahuas.. They are all under 6 pounds and hardly an issue.. They don't go to the bathroom in the house, or dirty anything... nor will they be sleeping with her.. lol.. Not sure how it affects much? Honestly it's like have 1 medium sized dog. :) They are spoiled for sure, but the family does the spoiling.. :)

Jenny429

Oct 10, 2005
Yeah not a big deal, right? But to a Dominican woman it would normally be money well made. Cooking? Cleaning up after herself and mopping the kitchen floor? Not a tough job to make 12.00..

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I pay 450 for a whole day... to her ---- him, ? 550

the church, the schools..... just need a good introduction/reference.
there are a million of them

Jenny429

Oct 10, 2005
I think you've got it Windeguy! You are right 500 pesos just don't go as far as it used to.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
For 500 pesos my maid does the shopping, cooks 3 meats, 2 vegetables, and rice (food for 3 days) plus pays her own transport. A half day, about 4 hours work.

I do pay her for cleaning also... same rate. It's about equivalent hourly to what a bi-lingual call center worker makes. I consider it to be a gringo rate, but reliable and honest are worth it.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Too bad you are not on the north coast. Tia just lost her position at D'Pieros and is a true trabajadora. Cooks awesome too.

cccccc, 10,000 per month is more than most make anywhere but it's still barely a "living wage". cccccccccccc

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
500 a day is 10,000 pesos a month.
More than most maids earn here in SD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

ya know , its funny -- big cities are different

good chance help is cheaper in SD

for instance
in NYC.... shoe repair, nail salons.....
many of them and very affordable - PLUS, the work isgood

cheapest shoe repair you will find in NoAmerica.... my take

not saying you're wrong Cologne.... lucky , maybe

about 400/day is normal in Cabrera I think...

I'm just 3 days /week

Jenny429

Oct 10, 2005
not sure, I'd think the campo would be cheaper.. well it always was for me.. more than the city. I'm in a fairly big city, and most workers get 3-5,000. depending on days, hours, and what work.

2011 I paid 5,000 which was a LOT (supposedly) for an awesome worker in the campo.. I also gave her insurance. She went to the resorts with us, and everywhere we went on the island. She was awesome, and worked quickly she'd come in at 10am and leave by 3pm. Even days that she washed the clothes.. A true woman de campo.. super good.. I would totally tempt her with 10,000 right now if she were to come and live with us, BUT I know that right now I'm not here permanently and I know how tough it is to find a job in the campo, so I don't want her to give that up for fast cash ;) She is gonna come visit for a few days as me and the kids got close to her when she worked for us.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I do have the experience that Dominicans are not willing to work anymore for little money. An hour of work and you offer 200 pesos and they think they should get 500. 500 pesos is 11 dollars, why would I pay 11 dollars for an hour of low level work??! In DR? It's not my problem that they prefer to do two jobs like that per day and sit the rest of the day in the Colmado. Haitians are more willing to do a (heavier) job for less money than Dominicans.

Last week I called a carpenter to quote a plywood top of 100" (to use as a long desktop) and another plywood shelf of the same length, it was plywood of oak or mahogany and of a thick width so I knew it wasn't going to be 2000 or 3000 pesos, but he quoted 21,000. He considers himself a professional and won't do it for less.

Two weeks earlier I asked some guys to install two glass screens and a glass door in my bathroom, they wanted 5000 pesos for half day work. I had no one else, and they were recommended by the company that made the glass screens, so I paid it, but they did a crappy job.

They often like to be paid like professionals but work like ......

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
"They often like to be paid like professionals but work like ......"

Unfortunately totally true most of the times... :(

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Here in my campo,
Today I needed someone to broom, mop and dust, I didnt feel like doing it myself as I normaly would.
2/3 hours work. 2 master bedrooms, 4 guest rooms amd same number of bathrooms. Plus dishes and clean the outhouse kitchen.100 pesos each and lunch ( nothing fancy, pollo & venehena & of course rice ). The 2 of them left happy..........

PanfilodeVaca

Jan 12, 2014
Here in my campo,
Today I needed someone to broom, mop and dust, I didnt feel like doing it myself as I normaly would.
2/3 hours work. 2 master bedrooms, 4 guest rooms amd same number of bathrooms. Plus dishes and clean the outhouse kitchen.100 pesos each and lunch ( nothing fancy, pollo & venehena & of course rice ). The 2 of them left happy..........

venehena...que es?