Torre Veiramar II on the Malecon, Santo Domingo

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I have a friend who I'm helping to find a nice apartment on the Malecon in Santo Domingo. We've rejected the Malecon Center as is really sad and badly maintained now, and I think he's going to settle on Torre Veiramar II, the one just past Malecon Center on the right if you're heading from the Colonial Zone towards Lincoln.

Has anyone got any thoughts - positive or negative - or recommendations? The rent is US$2000 per month, the apartment is on the 20th floor with a sea view from all the rooms and it is brand new, never been lived in. The building seems to be very secure, but I would also really like anyone to let me know their thoughts on security issues.

Thanks

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Drive by it a night and check it out from the Malec?n and from Independencia.

That apartments with lights on will give you an idea of how occupied it is.

Ask for a report on apartments that are behind on their maintenance fees. If the renter refuses or tries to BS you walk away.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Drive by it a night and check it out from the Malec?n and from Independencia.

That apartments with lights on will give you an idea of how occupied it is.

Ask for a report on apartments that are behind on their maintenance fees. If the renter refuses or tries to BS you walk away.

We did have a look around the car park at the weekend to count how many spaces were occupied. It's a good idea to check the lights at night and I guess that will also show if there are any discos or loud bars nearby.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
We did have a look around the car park at the weekend to count how many spaces were occupied. It's a good idea to check the lights at night and I guess that will also show if there are any discos or loud bars nearby.

There are no discos or loud bars nearby. The building is sparsely occupied.

A huge problem here is irresponsible landlords who do not pay their maintenance fees if their unit is not rented. It's also a problem with owner occupied units.

When that happens the essential common services are neglected.

If you cannot determine what percentage of apartments are current with payments for common services and what percentage are chronically delinquent don't even consider the building.

You can locked into a lease in an extremely undesirable situation.

Common services can include electricity in the common areas, cleaning of common areas and SECURITY.

Some buildings have common water and common cooking gas; central supply, one bill to the building management. If owners are dragging their feet on paying their fees any of the common services can and will deteriorate.

If there are roadblocks to obtaining this information reliably walk away.

That's a beautiful building and spectacular location but the sparseness of the occupancy is a huge red flag.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Malecon Center suffered damage to the parking garages during the Haitian earthquake. The US governtment moved out any of their employees who rented there.

About the Torres Veirmar, I have heard from a couple of Dominicans, one an architect, that they do not like the construction. One friend said that they went to see an apartment and "did not like the way the wind blew through" while the architect said that the buildings were built for the Mediterranean, not the Caribbean, and do not have the proper facade for facing hurricanes.

As it your friend is just looking for a rental, it might be fine, certainly the apartments LOOK like they are beautiful.

But I would make sure that he has a lease that he, the tenant, can break at any time with 30 days notice.

For myself, I would be concerned about the heat in the apartments with all that glass. I do not know anything about the "blue glass" and perhaps that does not absorb the heat or even let the sunlight in.

I would also be sure that the apartment has hurricane shutters, the metal ones? I do not know if they do.

The Torre on the corner of Pasteur, the numbe 1, seems very sparsely inhabited, which is odd for this neighborhood but may just be because of the high prices.

It certainly will have a great view.

I would not worry about the security there, inside the apartment on the 20th floor, no one is likely to get in. I would perhaps be a little concerned about what the street lights are like at night .. the back of that building, on Independencia, is poorly lit and would scare me a little.

And, of course, I would be concerned about living on the 20th floor in case of blackouts. I would not like to be trapped in an elevator even for the time that it takes for the planta to kick in. I may be unduly concerned about this and perhaps others who live in high Torre's can reassure you on this. Gazcue used to be a zone of 24/7 electric but the black outs are getting longer. That building is not technically in Gazcue, more like the Zona Universitad?

If possible, I would talk to other tenants before renting.

Shackmack

Jun 9, 2014
Malecon Center suffered damage to the parking garages during the Haitian earthquake. The US governtment moved out any of their employees who rented there.

About the Torres Veirmar, I have heard from a couple of Dominicans, one an architect, that they do not like the construction. One friend said that they went to see an apartment and "did not like the way the wind blew through" while the architect said that the buildings were built for the Mediterranean, not the Caribbean, and do not have the proper facade for facing hurricanes.

As it your friend is just looking for a rental, it might be fine, certainly the apartments LOOK like they are beautiful.

But I would make sure that he has a lease that he, the tenant, can break at any time with 30 days notice.

For myself, I would be concerned about the heat in the apartments with all that glass. I do not know anything about the "blue glass" and perhaps that does not absorb the heat or even let the sunlight in.

I would also be sure that the apartment has hurricane shutters, the metal ones? I do not know if they do.

The Torre on the corner of Pasteur, the numbe 1, seems very sparsely inhabited, which is odd for this neighborhood but may just be because of the high prices.

It certainly will have a great view.

I would not worry about the security there, inside the apartment on the 20th floor, no one is likely to get in. I would perhaps be a little concerned about what the street lights are like at night .. the back of that building, on Independencia, is poorly lit and would scare me a little.

And, of course, I would be concerned about living on the 20th floor in case of blackouts. I would not like to be trapped in an elevator even for the time that it takes for the planta to kick in. I may be unduly concerned about this and perhaps others who live in high Torre's can reassure you on this. Gazcue used to be a zone of 24/7 electric but the black outs are getting longer. That building is not technically in Gazcue, more like the Zona Universitad?

If possible, I would talk to other tenants before renting.

Honestly I would be sure he can stand the stench of the waste dumped into the Malecon, its especially bad in August and September.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
I am acquainted with an owner in the V1 building. I've seen a couple of the apartments. They are modern and fully climatized. Potable water and cooking gas are central. Common areas and services, including security, are of high international standards. Residents appear to be predominately foreign. I don't know the details common charges payment status. I've had occasion to speak with the management. I would be surprised if they don't make the information available to anyone who inquires legitimately.

I agree with mountainanne that the seafront glass facade is vulnerable to storm damage. I don't think that is a big deal for a renter. If I owned a unit, I would likely invest in storm shutters. I would not personally pay the premium to for the waterfront view. The novelty wears off much sooner than the higher payments.