dog ownership in the dr.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
As talked about on another thread, the ministerio de salud publica y asistencia social came round for the free anti rabies vaccine.....
This is campo, by the way. The 1 old lady based in the nearby local hospital, and 2 gvt workers are going around delivering the shots.
As they drove past on another day, they had already been around to our village the past week end, they stopped for a chat.
She praised us on the care we have for our dogs and also the fact that our dogs keep the "strays" away from our small village ( even if I never allow the dogs out ).
So we come to the notion of dog ownership in the dr.......... this is based on my own observations and from the conversation with the gvt team.

#1. At night the roads are FULL of dogs. The other night driving home, I counted over 20, yes TWENTY dogs congregating in a nearby village.
#2. They are all medium size or small, no big dogs.
#3. Dominicans either tie their dogs up on a chain or leave them free to roam the countryside.
#4. Tied up or free to roam, dr dogs look dirty and under fed, generally poorly cared for.
#5. If there is a problem due to a dog, he never has an owner.........
#6. During the day the dogs are very weary/scared of humans. But at night in packs they are downright a danger to humans.
#7. Dominicans will NEVER pay money for anything concerning their dogs.

So a couple of days ago a man in the nearby main village killed 3 dogs with a stick........ sick of them barking and whatever at night in front of his house.......kind of horrific.......
The gvt team admitted this was xtreme, but actually encourages people to poison the strays......... because, says they, the gvt neither has the means, neither the political will to vaccinate and sterilise the strays.......

Also the strays/chained up poor doggys, howl and bark all night long for no reason.
I am a dog lover, but a responsible one. Poorly fed, chained up dogs horrifies me. Free roaming dogs too.
Mine are well fed and enjoy free rein on about a 1000 sq meters of land, which enables me to "own" a pack of dogs.

So a year or 2 back I got into a squabble with a neighbour who lives, say 50 m down the road. He lives in wooden house, no gate or fence and has lile 5 dogs. They knock bins around, howl all night and scare the kids once the sun is down.
I went round for a talk about his dogs and also about his habit of burning plastic and medical waste in his garden ( and wonders why his wife is dying of a throat illness.......). He gruffly said his dogs could do what pleased them....... ok, so do mine I said.
That night I set 2 of my dogs on his who, as usal, were growling at my gate. Now they never come near my house.
Just an example of the lack of responsibilities of dog owners in the campo.

After that we had someones bitch chained to a wall. Of course dozens of strays turned up every time. Locals spoke to him. Keep her inside when in heat, spray her...... to no avail.
Result. A whole bunch of dead poisened dogs. Someone took the matters into their own hands. Not a very humane way to solve the problem, but nontheless problem solved.

So any ideas about how to solve the feral/stray dog problem in our campos ???

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
ya know.... it never fails to amaze

you learn things every day here

A friend in Canada eats squirrel pie..

Squirrel ?? they only eat nuts . fruit, etc.... good meat

now, skunk? not so much

hedgehog, groundhog - maybe

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
The govt people stopped by and gave my dog a rabies vaccination two days ago here in Puerto Plata. They also gave one to a free roaming dog and tried to give me the certificate. i turned that down.
Not dog related, but cat. Next door they are building a house. Haitians doing the work. A kid from the neighborhood took a video of them skinning a cat to cook and eat it.

Was it a Kitten Cacciatore... Delicious and very tender. :cheeky:

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
What gets me is that i've seen clans in the campo that have a few dogs that come and go as they please but always come back and are definately their pets. I guess they do not feed the dogs for they are sad lookingly thin. One of the smaller dogs had a litter of 5 puppies but could not nurse them when they got bigger due to lack of food. The kids sat there playing with the puppies till they died. The puppies were to far gone and any money i would have given to them would go for the cheapest Brugal on the shelf so i let it go. Just wish they drowned the puppies when born instead of letting them starve to death. The only good of it is that there are 5 less strays in that area.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I would LOVE to feed Strays, BUT, that only makes it worse.
They live, they breed, then more end up suffering and dying in the streets!
Like sending food aid to Ethiopia!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

What gets me is that i've seen clans in the campo that have a few dogs that come and go as they please but always come back and are definately their pets. I guess they do not feed the dogs for they are sad lookingly thin. One of the smaller dogs had a litter of 5 puppies but could not nurse them when they got bigger due to lack of food. The kids sat there playing with the puppies till they died. The puppies were to far gone and any money i would have given to them would go for the cheapest Brugal on the shelf so i let it go. Just wish they drowned the puppies when born instead of letting them starve to death. The only good of it is that there are 5 less strays in that area.

It's very sad to watch, next time you could give them dog food instead of money. Hopefully the people don't eat the dog food :D

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
tough, id like to do something to my neighbors dog. barks all afternoon....only wants to come in the house...never let a dog in the house unless its a toy thing...

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
I guess my question to you Malko is what are you doing to help change this problem in the barrio you live in??? I have worked with the dogs of this country now for almost 9 years and I can tell you first hand that with some work and education you CAN change many of these issues that are bothering you and you will also change your opinion of how Dominicans and Hatians veiw their dogs. Yes it does require some work but the end results are very worthwhile....tom

As talked about on another thread, the ministerio de salud publica y asistencia social came round for the free anti rabies vaccine.....
This is campo, by the way. The 1 old lady based in the nearby local hospital, and 2 gvt workers are going around delivering the shots.
As they drove past on another day, they had already been around to our village the past week end, they stopped for a chat.
She praised us on the care we have for our dogs and also the fact that our dogs keep the "strays" away from our small village ( even if I never allow the dogs out ).
So we come to the notion of dog ownership in the dr.......... this is based on my own observations and from the conversation with the gvt team.

#1. At night the roads are FULL of dogs. The other night driving home, I counted over 20, yes TWENTY dogs congregating in a nearby village.
#2. They are all medium size or small, no big dogs.
#3. Dominicans either tie their dogs up on a chain or leave them free to roam the countryside.
#4. Tied up or free to roam, dr dogs look dirty and under fed, generally poorly cared for.
#5. If there is a problem due to a dog, he never has an owner.........
#6. During the day the dogs are very weary/scared of humans. But at night in packs they are downright a danger to humans.
#7. Dominicans will NEVER pay money for anything concerning their dogs.

So a couple of days ago a man in the nearby main village killed 3 dogs with a stick........ sick of them barking and whatever at night in front of his house.......kind of horrific.......
The gvt team admitted this was xtreme, but actually encourages people to poison the strays......... because, says they, the gvt neither has the means, neither the political will to vaccinate and sterilise the strays.......

Also the strays/chained up poor doggys, howl and bark all night long for no reason.
I am a dog lover, but a responsible one. Poorly fed, chained up dogs horrifies me. Free roaming dogs too.
Mine are well fed and enjoy free rein on about a 1000 sq meters of land, which enables me to "own" a pack of dogs.

So a year or 2 back I got into a squabble with a neighbour who lives, say 50 m down the road. He lives in wooden house, no gate or fence and has lile 5 dogs. They knock bins around, howl all night and scare the kids once the sun is down.
I went round for a talk about his dogs and also about his habit of burning plastic and medical waste in his garden ( and wonders why his wife is dying of a throat illness.......). He gruffly said his dogs could do what pleased them....... ok, so do mine I said.
That night I set 2 of my dogs on his who, as usal, were growling at my gate. Now they never come near my house.
Just an example of the lack of responsibilities of dog owners in the campo.

After that we had someones bitch chained to a wall. Of course dozens of strays turned up every time. Locals spoke to him. Keep her inside when in heat, spray her...... to no avail.
Result. A whole bunch of dead poisened dogs. Someone took the matters into their own hands. Not a very humane way to solve the problem, but nontheless problem solved.

So any ideas about how to solve the feral/stray dog problem in our campos ???

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
HR, ?Mondongo? is made from boiled Cow Guts!!!!!
But if you want the Dominican ?Mondongo EXPERIENCE? without the trouble of cooking, just follow a cow around the pasture with a big spoon, and Wait for the proper moment!!!!

?Mondongo?can be prepared into a delicious stew, but Dominicans don't know how, or take the time, to clean the Cow Guts before cooking.
Venezuelans CAN cook it!!!
That's why it tastes like ?$HIT? here!!!!!!