Fast track residency for retiree

artistdani

Mar 13, 2012
What kind of a price range can I expect to pay a lawyer for the fast track residency program for retirees? That is the one that goes straight to permanent residency. What I am looking for is the approximate price that has been paid by retirees. I want to know if the price I am being quoted is fair... app $2500US.

Thank you.
Danielle

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
You can do the entire process yourself, but if you do not speak Spanish, I'd recommend against it.

You will hear some say that $2500 is too much and others like me will say that amount is about right and in keeping with what some of us have paid. More people choose to follow the provisional residency route as the permanent residency does require some extra steps and a recommendation from the Dominican Foreign Affairs Dept.

A lawyer to do all of this for you is well worth the $$$ just for saving you the aggravation of having to deal with the inefficient and often inconsistent govt bureaucracy.

My recommendation, if you have the money, pay it. The process still takes an inordinate amount of time but at least you can spend it worrying about other things and not paperwork.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
some people enjoy the annual trip to Sto Domingo for 4 yrs running to keep renewing the temporary

others will pay to avoid that ...

how much is too much......
add up 4 yrs of renewal expenses to start with

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
some people enjoy the annual trip to Sto Domingo for 4 yrs running to keep renewing the temporary

others will pay to avoid that ...

how much is too much......
add up 4 yrs of renewal expenses to start with

What does getting the fast track initial residency have to do with not renewing every four years?

Does it just cut out having to go from provisional residency that is only good for two years to four year permanent residency renewals?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
my understanding is that the 'Retiree' program jumps to you to Permanent Residency

thereby avoiding the 4 yr waiting/renewal period of the hoi polloi....

I may be wrong....

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
OR, you can just overstay your visa, stay as long as you want, and pay NOTHING!!!!!
No paperwork, no wasted time, no lawyer, and Dominican idiots to deal with!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

artistdani

Mar 13, 2012
Just started the process myself and returned only this week from the Dominican Consulate in New Orleans. Had to take a "boat load" of Apostiled documents (Birth Certificates, Marriage Certificates, Proof of no Criminal Record, Income and retirement income information and Financial documents--Bank Statements, etc.) to the Consulate to have translated and emailed to the Immigration Office in Santo Domingo for approval. Once approved, the Vice Consul (a very personable Ms. Martinez) will issue the Visas with our submitted Passports via Fed Ex and then when we arrive in-country, we'll begin the local process through our attorney in Bavaro. You can do it by mail (Fed Ex), but as it turned-out, we didn't need all the documents that we brought with us. If you email your local Consulate, they will return email you a check-list to assemble your documents, etc. Be sure your current passport has enough time left on it for the process to occur. Total cost for the two of us at the Consulate was $600 US including the translations.

I have started the process when I was in Canada and I have all my papers with me which is the process you describe. I was looking for price range for getting the permanent residency once you are in the DR.

artistdani

Mar 13, 2012
Depends on how bad your lawyer wants to SCREW YOU!!!!
I was quoted $4,500 US for citizenship!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CC

Call me stupid if you want, but I just want to be in the country legally, drive legally and be covered by my car insurance. Living in this country is not easy to start with I dont want to complicate things by not being "legal". Yes it may cost some money, part of the price for living in "Paradise". I dont necessarily enjoy overpaying so I agree $4500 is more than I would be comfortable with. Thanks for sharing the quote you received. Any others?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I'm waiting to see how the ?Naturalization Plan? for foreigners, the Government put in place works out, but I hold out little hope for THAT ever working out!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Sane comments, Dani

the $4500 for citizenship may not be too far off.....but I believe you need residency first.

Go the residency route and decide later on citizenship.
some opt for it, some not.

The only advantage of citizenship that I see is no more residency renewals - for life.

artistdani

Mar 13, 2012
Sane comments, Dani

the $4500 for citizenship may not be too far off.....but I believe you need residency first.

Go the residency route and decide later on citizenship.
some opt for it, some not.

The only advantage of citizenship that I see is no more residency renewals - for life.

When the "permanent" residency renewals get to be too costly then I will advise. For now dominican citizenship is not in the cards. If I run into a problem either here or anywhere I still want Canada to help me however much that may or may not be.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
you can hold dual citizenship.... Canada won't abandon you

I carry a Cdn passport... my only one and I have lived in the US and now RD
My car has Cdn plates....in Canada

you're right about RD
you want the cedula, the drivers licence.... the whole bag
makes life easier

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Easier than doing nothing????????
Nothing is FREE, and NEVER needs to be renewed!!!!!!
ANY opportunity I have to NOT visit a DR Government office is a day well spent for me!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
CC - I know your opinion on this, but like the OP, the driving licence and car insurance issue are the only things that makes being legal important for me.

Dandman

May 17, 2004
What are the benefits of the retiree residency? I have been urged by my friends to apply. Some say it avoids the tourist card but I hardly think it is worth it to save $10 a few times a year. I do not own a car or drive here. Are there other benefits that I am missing?

Shackmack

Jun 9, 2014
What kind of a price range can I expect to pay a lawyer for the fast track residency program for retirees? That is the one that goes straight to permanent residency. What I am looking for is the approximate price that has been paid by retirees. I want to know if the price I am being quoted is fair... app $2500US.

Thank you.

Danielle

Its a multi-step process requiring two applications one year apart, a good lawyer will charge $2,500 per application you can have the permanent resident status in two years. I am making my second application this month.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
What are the benefits of the retiree residency? I have been urged by my friends to apply. Some say it avoids the tourist card but I hardly think it is worth it to save $10 a few times a year. I do not own a car or drive here. Are there other benefits that I am missing?

There are overstay fees depending upon how long you stay in the DR, not just the $10 entrance fee if you overstay. How long do you stay each time?

And technically you could be deported or not able to enter the country again at some point in the future. I think both of those are unlikely.

I think you can have a bank account with a passport, but there may be some things that are harder to do without residency. Having residency from day 1, I really don't know what those other things are.

artistdani

Mar 13, 2012
Its a multi-step process requiring two applications one year apart, a good lawyer will charge $2,500 per application you can have the permanent resident status in two years. I am making my second application this month.

2 applications? I thought it was just the one and it gets you permanent residency in something like 18 mths. Then you get to renew your permanent residency every 2 yrs like any other permanent residency. Am I mistaken?