Does ROKU work in the DR?

May 29, 2006
Upgrading from Chromecast to Roku3 this week. I'd expect Chrome works since it streams from your laptop, but wondering about Roku as a stand alone unit.. Of course, you'd still need a router and internet..

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Don't know about ROKU, but I'm told AppleTV works properly as long as you have a credit card on the iTunes account with a US billing address. And some of the early AppleTV boxes are very, very hackable.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Don't know about ROKU, but I'm told AppleTV works properly as long as you have a credit card on the iTunes account with a US billing address. And some of the early AppleTV boxes are very, very hackable.

Apple tv works regardless if you have a US based iTunes account.

smitty777

Jul 21, 2013
It isn't much of an upgrade from chromecast. Stick with your chromecast here. The only way I got Hulu working was through chromecast. Just install a vpn on your phone, tablet, or laptop then stream to your tv. Plus whatever is in your browser can be streamed to your tv including fb videos. As others have said Apple tv is good too. I think the apple tv 2 is the hackable one.

singletravel

Oct 13, 2003
Use Roku daily, esp like cnet and NBC news updates + Netflix and Amazon Prime of course. But (there is always a but here) you need a good internet connection (works both on claro and delanncer, don't need a vpn) of 3 mb or higher to stream properly.

singletravel

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
Roku has one major disadvantage for those living in the DR, it does not permit reconfiguration of the DNS settings. It can be setup but you need a third party VPN such as US Unblocked to use it and it's relatively complicated if you are not too tech savvy.

Apple TV on the other hand is a dawdle to setup. The box allows you to set any DNS you care to. I use it with US Unblocked which permits me to watch anything from any part of the world on my TV set ie Hulu Plus, Netflix UK, US and Apple. In the case of Apple you merely open a US account without credit card and fund it with Apple Vouchers.

singletravel

Oct 13, 2003
Works for me???

Roku has one major disadvantage for those living in the DR, it does not permit reconfiguration of the DNS settings. It can be setup but you need a third party VPN such as US Unblocked to use it and it's relatively complicated if you are not too tech savvy.

Apple TV on the other hand is a dawdle to setup. The box allows you to set any DNS you care to. I use it with US Unblocked which permits me to watch anything from any part of the world on my TV set ie Hulu Plus, Netflix UK, US and Apple. In the case of Apple you merely open a US account without credit card and fund it with Apple Vouchers.

I have had both Claro and Delancer internet and Roku works fine with both, no problems and NO dns set-up. All programs work fine?

singletravel

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
There is no need for Roku-Apple TV-Google TV-Netflix-Hulu-

You can get all of that on XBMC and no need to buy any additional equipment-use your tablet to screen to your hdtv.

Aug 21, 2007
I had a Roku and now have Apple TV. I love the Apple TV. I play my music while my photos stream, and I love the channel options, especially PBS. If I want to show movies at my community center, I just take my Apple TV box and connect it to my projector. It's a dream. Would never go back to Roku.

~ Lindsey

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
There is no need for Roku-Apple TV-Google TV-Netflix-Hulu-

You can get all of that on XBMC and no need to buy any additional equipment-use your tablet to screen to your hdtv.

People dont realize with XBMC you can watch ANYTHING! Even 1st run movie theater movies. You can put the xbmc app/program on any pc or tablet or the apple tv2, and now the amazon fire tv.

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
People dont realize with XBMC you can watch ANYTHING! Even 1st run movie theater movies. You can put the xbmc app/program on any pc or tablet or the apple tv2, and now the amazon fire tv.

True enough-I often watch the new release movies (Cam'd) before they even hit the theaters here in SD.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Rabbit TV is great for all the wonderful shopping channels. I think I saw a 32dd bra for sale. ;)

May 29, 2006
Prob not on this trip... Maybe for a hotel room? My ChromeCast was only $35 so it wouldn't be a big deal if I lost it. Come to think of it, I have HDMI cable around somewhere...