Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Does ROKU work in the DR?

Upgrading from Chromecast to Roku3 this week. I'd expect Chrome works since it streams from your laptop, but wondering about Roku as a stand alone unit.. Of course, you'd still need a router and internet..

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't know about ROKU, but I'm told AppleTV works properly as long as you have a credit card on the iTunes account with a US billing address. And some of the early AppleTV boxes are very, very hackable.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jsimonson0 View Post
    Don't know about ROKU, but I'm told AppleTV works properly as long as you have a credit card on the iTunes account with a US billing address. And some of the early AppleTV boxes are very, very hackable.
    Apple tv works regardless if you have a US based iTunes account.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

It isn't much of an upgrade from chromecast. Stick with your chromecast here. The only way I got Hulu working was through chromecast. Just install a vpn on your phone, tablet, or laptop then stream to your tv. Plus whatever is in your browser can be streamed to your tv including fb videos. As others have said Apple tv is good too. I think the apple tv 2 is the hackable one.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

If you are only wanting to get HULU or NEXTFLIX.COM or any other country specific content can be watched by simply getting a Proxy add-in to the Browser Firefox, there are a few that are free to use, and work great:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/extensions/

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Use Roku daily, esp like cnet and NBC news updates + Netflix and Amazon Prime of course. But (there is always a but here) you need a good internet connection (works both on claro and delanncer, don't need a vpn) of 3 mb or higher to stream properly.

singletravel

7. Likes PeterInBrat liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Roku has one major disadvantage for those living in the DR, it does not permit reconfiguration of the DNS settings. It can be setup but you need a third party VPN such as US Unblocked to use it and it's relatively complicated if you are not too tech savvy.

Apple TV on the other hand is a dawdle to setup. The box allows you to set any DNS you care to. I use it with US Unblocked which permits me to watch anything from any part of the world on my TV set ie Hulu Plus, Netflix UK, US and Apple. In the case of Apple you merely open a US account without credit card and fund it with Apple Vouchers.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Works for me???

Quote Originally Posted by jinty05 View Post
    Roku has one major disadvantage for those living in the DR, it does not permit reconfiguration of the DNS settings. It can be setup but you need a third party VPN such as US Unblocked to use it and it's relatively complicated if you are not too tech savvy.

Apple TV on the other hand is a dawdle to setup. The box allows you to set any DNS you care to. I use it with US Unblocked which permits me to watch anything from any part of the world on my TV set ie Hulu Plus, Netflix UK, US and Apple. In the case of Apple you merely open a US account without credit card and fund it with Apple Vouchers.
    I have had both Claro and Delancer internet and Roku works fine with both, no problems and NO dns set-up. All programs work fine?

singletravel

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

There is no need for Roku-Apple TV-Google TV-Netflix-Hulu-

You can get all of that on XBMC and no need to buy any additional equipment-use your tablet to screen to your hdtv.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jimmythegreek View Post
    There is no need for Roku-Apple TV-Google TV-Netflix-Hulu-

You can get all of that on XBMC and no need to buy any additional equipment-use your tablet to screen to your hdtv.
    Exactly!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast