Using T-Mobile in DR

May 20, 2012
Anyone using T-Mobile in the DR? Since about 1 year back, it's supposed to work in 200 countries and DR is one.

What level of data do you get?

Calls OK?

Know what calls cost??

Thanks

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
If it works, no doubt you pay roaming rates. Expect $1-3 US per minute. That is what I would pay if I use the SIM I use in the US (Consumer Cellular).

Why would anyone want to use T-Mobile rather than get an Orange SIM and pay much less and only for outgoing calls?

DRdreaming

Jul 29, 2014
Have TMobile unlock your phone for you before you leave. You can then buy a sim card for a couple of dollars, and add internet and minutes. They sell internet packages for the week or month, no contract required. You will need your passport when you go to buy the sim card.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
My cousin has T-Mobile and their roaming is with VIVA, she never use it because is too expensive, so is better to buy a local SIM, Orange, Claro or VIVA if is unlocked your phone.

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
I have tmobile and the wifi calling is great when you have a strong signal. Also like the free data roaming

Gringonazo

Sep 27, 2014
When we were in the DR back in July, we had T-Mobile as our US carrier. I was hoping to be able to use the international data for Google Maps and Navigation. As has been stated, T-Mobile's Data Coverage partner in the DR is VIVA. We were able to have unlimited text and make calls to the US for 20 cents per minute. The data is unlimited, but it is SLOW; so slow that I went ahead and bought a SIM card from Orange and loaded it with minutes, texts, and 1GB of data in order to be able to stay connected, whatsapp, and navigate. If you are looking to be able to facebook, twitter, email, navigate, etc., I don't think it's worth it. If you are just looking to text all the time and receive and make phone calls when needed (albeit expensive), then T-Mobile will work for you. I hope this helps.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Have TMobile unlock your phone for you before you leave. You can then buy a sim card for a couple of dollars, and add internet and minutes. They sell internet packages for the week or month, no contract required. You will need your passport when you go to buy the sim card.

if the phone has a SIM card... not all do, I find

May 20, 2012
This is what I was wondering. The Simple Choice Plan with free unlimited data and text plus $0.20/min talk.
On paper, great, but how well does it actually work.
Sounds like not so much!
Thanks for the input.

When we were in the DR back in July, we had T-Mobile as our US carrier. I was hoping to be able to use the international data for Google Maps and Navigation. As has been stated, T-Mobile's Data Coverage partner in the DR is VIVA. We were able to have unlimited text and make calls to the US for 20 cents per minute. The data is unlimited, but it is SLOW; so slow that I went ahead and bought a SIM card from Orange and loaded it with minutes, texts, and 1GB of data in order to be able to stay connected, whatsapp, and navigate. If you are looking to be able to facebook, twitter, email, navigate, etc., I don't think it's worth it. If you are just looking to text all the time and receive and make phone calls when needed (albeit expensive), then T-Mobile will work for you. I hope this helps.

May 20, 2012
Where in the DR are the people using the data that have no complaints? Perhaps the data speed is location dependent?
I don't know the specifics but T-Mobile has a "Simple Choice Plan" where data and text is free and talk is 20 cents a minute. I know a couple of people who have been using this plan for almost a year and have no complaints.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
T-mobile plan - data

That is the catch. The data is unlimited but they only give you access to the slowest services known as "Edge" and "2G" It's acceptable for e-mail, whatsapp, and light Internet browsing but Skype, Viber, and any music or video streaming will take you back to the 1990s. As always, you get what you pay for.