Need a computer technician Puerto Plata

Status
Not open for further replies.

white light

Sep 25, 2006
I use a program Windows Moviemaker and I’ve been using Windows X. P. and am about to convert to Windows 7. The computer technician I use does not know how to use Windows Movie Maker and cannot show me the differences. If you know someone who has experience please give me their name and number. I need someone who speaks English if possible, I speak Spanish, but it’s limited. Appreciate your help. Thank you, White Light

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
ill hep u...free car fare lunch dinner hotel 2 nights included...no garantees...money up front

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I'm quite knowledgeable, perhaps I can help.

Let's start at the beginning. You run XP on an ancient POS computer (I assume). You didn't say you purchased a new computer so I am assuming that you are going to try and install Win7 on that same computer running XP. If that computer is more than 3 years old, don't proceed any further. You may be able to find new Win7 hardware drivers for some of your components but not all.

Download and run this before proceeding to determine if your box can be upgraded to Win7 and to get an idea of some of the problems you may encounter:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20

Moviemaker is a Microsoft product and is compatible with win7, 8, 8.1 and eventually Win10.

If you are able to upgrade to Win7 as advised in the above link, go ahead and install Win7. If you need to buy a new computer in order to install win7, I'd wait for Win10 to be released and then purchase a new system that has that OS installed. Win10 will be a more familiar environment. Win7 is now a little behind the times (but still a very good OS). Win8 takes a few weeks to get used to and Win10 will revert back to a more familair WinXP, Win7 look & feel.

Sorry to be a bit of a downer, but anyone still running XP, needs a new system before upgrading. Both the OS and the chipset on the motherboard are no longer supported by the manufactures, Microsoft and third party hardware/software vendors.

You will find your upgrade options going forward with that hardware very limited.

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
To piggyback on what Cdn_Gringo says.

You can also get a newish desktop or laptop for pretty cheap. Under $200 there are plenty of deals so you don't have to pay tax, even a bit over $200 the tax isn't too bad at 18%

Micro Center - Computers, Electronics, Computer Parts, Networking, Gaming, Software, and more! they have ok online deals but most are in store only. If you have someone in the States that can ship it to you that'd be best.

Computer Parts, Laptops, Electronics, and More - Newegg.com! has great deals online. You can get a decent laptop for around $200 or an even better desktop for that price.

According to some articles Windows 8.1 will have an update to Windows 10 when it's released. Not sure how reliable that information is but seeming as Microsoft understood their Windows 8.1 launch wasn't received well they'll probably have a free upgrade or cheap upgrade cost to Windows 10

white light

Sep 25, 2006
@Cdn_Gringo You are not a downer; You just gave me the straight facts. I appreciate this greatly. I have consulted two different computer guys here and they do not seem to know what they?re doing in regards to upgrading my system. Everything you said makes perfect sense. My only problem is not having the funds to pay for a new computer. All I can do is hope that this one pulls out a bit longer than that I can get the money together. Thank you so much, White Light

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
white light,

You're not the first I've help with computer issues on DR1 and I am sure you wont be the last. Glad I could help. If you have any future questions, feel free to contact me.

Rgds.

Status
Not open for further replies.