DR1 search function - Need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I'm all for searching for previously posted questions and answers and admit to doing it multiple times so far. However, the number of results returned is just too voluminous to be of any practical help.

Every search function I have ever used would allow one to employ specific string modifiers to narrow down the results returned. I can't seem to make this work on DR1.

I've tried enclosing the search string in quotes ("flu shot"). I've tried (+flu +shot) and I have tried (flu and shot) and still get threads and posts that contain only one or the other of the search terms and none that contain the entire string in the order the words are listed.

Is the search function broken? Is there some special voodoo that needs to be employed? Is there a help file available for this forum software that explains the capabilities and limitations?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I'm all for searching for previously posted questions and answers and admit to doing it multiple times so far. However, the number of results returned is just too voluminous to be of any practical help.

Every search function I have ever used would allow one to employ specific string modifiers to narrow down the results returned. I can't seem to make this work on DR1.

I've tried enclosing the search string in quotes ("flu shot"). I've tried (+flu +shot) and I have tried (flu and shot) and still get threads and posts that contain only one or the other of the search terms and none that contain the entire string in the order the words are listed.

Is the search function broken? Is there some special voodoo that needs to be employed? Is there a help file available for this forum software that explains the capabilities and limitations?

Not broken but tricky. I did a search for flu shot and as you can imagine the word shot brought up 66 threads. I searched for thread "titles only" if you search the default of ( search posts) you'll be looking at many posts.

Anyway,I only one relevant thread that's close but not what you want I'm sure. When you can't find the answer just start a new thread as you have.;)

All I found was this http://dr1.com/forums/general-stuff/96405-flu-shot-h1n1-available-dr.html which isn't what you are looking for

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
The search function pretty much SUCKS... (can I say that ?), personally I have never found what I'm looking for EVER ! & now jump to google as mentioned above.
Lot's & lot's too love about & with/for DR1 but 'search' is not one of them.

Could it be fixed to be more user friendly ?, I would think it's an important part of a forum such as we have here.
Have a great day !
cg

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
and all along I thought it was me. Never once found what I was searching for and finally just gave up every time.

sosuamatt

Bronze
Jul 29, 2013
I agree with all of the above. Prior to posting I try to find the answer in a previous thread. I always thought that it was just my semi-luddite capabilities.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
search function on dr1 is tragically bad. i also use google and write: "something something dr1 forum". this is usually good enough. of course people stray off topic so much that finding a right thread may be a bit of a challenge but it's easier that this site's search function.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Great idea CaribeMike.

Actually the syntax for a site specific search is:

site:dr1.com "whatever you are searching for with or without the quotes"

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
site:dr1.com "whatever you are searching for with or without the quotes"

or

"whatever you are searching for with or without the quotes" site:dr1.com

delivers the same results...

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
It delivers, "flu shots" 70 post where the flu shot is mentioned.

This is obviously why you are "Super Mod" - nobody else can get the thing to work. The consensus is that Google works better. Google is still evil, but I've got a work around for that.

FredBlogs

Jun 18, 2009
The truth is, although it seems people are reluctant to say, is that the 'search' function is very poor.

It rarely produces the results anyone is looking for, the amount of negative comments confirm this.

Can those in charge not fine tune this system so numerous spurious results do not appear?

Thanks.

FB.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
The truth is, although it seems people are reluctant to say, is that the 'search' function is very poor.

It rarely produces the results anyone is looking for, the amount of negative comments confirm this.

Can those in charge not fine tune this system so numerous spurious results do not appear?

Thanks.

FB.

Not going to happen, the board is developed by vBulletin, not DR1.

As I said, use Google.

Status
Not open for further replies.