British Cizitens married in Dominican want divorce but no marriage cert.

susanian

Oct 8, 2014
Whats the best way of either getting divorced, or getting a copy of the marrige certificate.
Any help would be great.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
It is simple to get a copy of the certificate as the system is now computerized and centralised. You simply need to ask someone to go to the nearest provincial office of the Junta Electoral Central with details of the names, ID details, location and date of marriage and pick up a copy. Cost is around RD$700 plus legalisation stamp. If you need someone to go and get it for you and send to you then pm me.

Matilda

susanian

Oct 8, 2014
Matilda it will not allow me to p.m you maybe as i am new. Could you please p.m me and i will reply that way?

susanian

Oct 8, 2014
Why would i want a lawyer at this stage. I just need to find the certificate, as matilda has said its an easy process with help.

exeurodominican

Feb 1, 2014
Getting your certificate is indeed easy. But believe me; divorcing from a Dominican (a) can be very complicated. We deal with it all the time because my wife is a lawyer.

exeurodominican

Feb 1, 2014
Do you still have contact with him and know where he lives? If you don’t, there is an easier way to divorce here.

If so, he has to officially agree with the divorce. In both cases you should find yourself a lawyer I’m afraid.

susanian

Oct 8, 2014
Do you still have contact with him and know where he lives? If you don?t, there is an easier way to divorce here.

If so, he has to officially agree with the divorce. In both cases you should find yourself a lawyer I?m afraid.

I am still very intrested in the details of this post.... what is the easier way to divorce

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Quickie Dominican divorce takes around 3 months. Get a lawyer to submit the papers to the relevant departments. If I recall there are six or seven of them. You also have to publish an announcement in the national newspaper. Once done the judge will issue the decree which you can get legalised and translated into English.

The scary thing is that all this can be done without the other spouse's knowledge (hence the reason for the newspaper notice)

I am a Brit who was married to a Brit. We married in Barbados. I had to send the Barbados marriage cert back to Barbados to get it apostilled.

BTW I hate this new apostille business, it's was designed to make international bureaucracy easier, instead it's created yet another level of complication!

susanian

Oct 8, 2014
ok it may still be best to just get the marriage certificate then, as we can get it cheaper than that in uk.
Matilda i have emailed you, look forward to hearing from you