Job Opportunity in Small Sosua Restaurant

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
This is a very small business that just opened. I need an ex-pat or someone with experience in first world countries to understand the differences is customs as it relates to taking care of a restaurant, clients and food.
I am looking for some who:

? Knows his was around the kitchen and doesn?t have a problem preparing food
? Doesn?t have an issue with basic cleaning (mopping, washing dishes, sweeping ? basic stuff)
? Attending clients ? we serve a lot of food to go but we have 6 tables so attending clients both at the counter and at the tables

This is very much like a Subway Sandwich type of restaurant and we don?t have a massive kitchen. Everything is open and in your role you will be expected to do anything required of you.

I need someone:
? Is responsible and reliable
? Trustworthy
? Speaks English with some Spanish (at least enough to be able to communicate with the other employees

Hours 1pm-9pm, 6 days per/week - 15,000RD + tips ? please message me here or email your resume to sosuarestaurant@gmail.com.

May 29, 2006
What I've done contracting as a cook is to work for either a 15% commission on all food sales with the owner paying for the inventory or I'd buy all the food myself and pay the owners 15% of food sales. Either way, the owner paid for gas and I worked my own menu. I did it for Eddy's during the World Cup eight years back and for another place here in NY. Not that I'm interested in the position, but that kind of arrangement has work for me. I find paying the owner the commission a bit better because I understand food costs and shopping and not all owners have known how profit/loss works. (crazy huh?)

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
you guys always moan about low wages but there are many expats who don't have much and will work for a dominican salary. remember those few guys who killed themselves over financial problems this year? not everyone is a retired fatso living on 1st world pension.

May 29, 2006
You'd have to be a retired fatso with a pension to be able to live on that salary... Maybe CC is available.

Last edited:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I think it will indeed be a challenge to find that person based upon the salary and hours. I wish you luck with that.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
you guys always moan about low wages but there are many expats who don't have much and will work for a dominican salary. remember those few guys who killed themselves over financial problems this year? not everyone is a retired fatso living on 1st world pension.

Unfortunately finding the right person from the disadvantaged group you mention will be very difficult. I hope she can.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
If she doesn't ask, then she certainly won't get anyone. Primarily what she is looking for is someone to streamline the customer service, food storage/preparation, some cooking and the training of the local staff in all of the above to NA standards. That alone is a full-time job. The mopping and clean up is probably best left to the local employee under the supervision of the quality control person.

Having been there, traffic is slow at times for sure but any food service operation is a two person job at minimum. One person can't cook, serve, take orders, answer the phone, wipe the tables, wash dishes, prepare condiments etc. I don't care where the restaurant is located, without a supervisor onsite to ensure the above gets done, it won't be done as often or as well as it should.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Unfortunately finding the right person from the disadvantaged group you mention will be very difficult. I hope she can.

there's always folks who are just bored and/or looking to supplement their income. i've seen gringos waiting tables. there is a polish bloke in gorditos too, his salary cannot be that high...

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
not everyone is a retired fatso living on 1st world pension.

Is there an opening for a retired fatso on a first world pension? Would my chances increase if I was in better shape? What are the benefits of the FWP job?

...and, can I telecommute from the beach (like in the Corona commercials)?

Seriously, best of luck, cjewell. Hope you find some good help.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
most gringos will not be able to manage Dominican employees, for starters, its not like in Kansas. But, good luck

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
So here is where I am at since the job post - I have 3 candidates with experience who have contacted me and I will interview when I get back - with the posted compensation. If someone else pops in and is interested I will look at more candidates if you get in touch in the mean time. The salary I mentioned is 15,000RD per/mo., plus tips and there will be additional incentives - but not a cut of overall sales. I am start up and very small right now. It's the best I can do.

I think better to post the opportunity then not =)

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Cc would most likely eat all the profits or give away food to the hot chicks. Not that I ever met him.....just saying

Status
Not open for further replies.