Deputy Minister Of Tourism Meets With Sosua/Cabarete Leaders

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
From today's Sosua News:

Mr. Lic. Julio Almonte was recently appointed by President Danilo Medina Vice-Minister of Tourism for the North Coast area. During his first visit to Sos?a and Cabarete, he had a meeting with major real estate entrepreneurs from both resort towns. At the meeting were invited Serperhe Sadhegy, Andres Gustavo Pastora, Juan Perdomo, Ko Gonzalez, Do?a Lolyn Esca?o and Tomas Callender (Chairman Association of hotels and restaurants in Sos?a and Cabarete).

On behalf of the municipal government there were Andres Berroa, Aquilina Garc?a, Jhonny Mendez, Arismendi Medina and Angela de Jes?s present. Of course the Director of Tourism, Lorenzo Sancasani was also present and gave an outline of the problems that both resorts have to deal with. For Sos?a, there were talks about the redevelopment of the beach and activities to boost tourism. The Deputy Minister Julio Almonte promised to bring the Sos?a - Cabarete area to the attention of the minister and president, and also said that he will commit himself to the developments of Sos?a and Cabarete.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Sidewalks and street lamps in Cabarete would be a start!

Last I checked, Cabarete had sidewalks in the downtown area, but perhaps not enough street lights.

What exact locations are you talking about? Putting in sidewalks on the side streets would be a practical impossibility and most of the side streets are Class D circuits with only 12 hours of power each day, often off at night when most needed for safety.

I would start with something the should be simple but is impossible in the DR. Keep the electricity on 24/7.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
And I'm going to keep banging on the drum saying that the Gov't need to lower the tax on jet fuel at POP and take control of POP airport away from Aerodom who make operating there unviable for many airlines due to their extortionate prices.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Last I checked, Cabarete had sidewalks in the downtown area, but perhaps not enough street lights.

What exact locations are you talking about?

No lights between the main shops part of the main street and ProCab, a scary walk which many tourists have to endure at night.

Bystander

Sep 1, 2014
Windeguy, take a walk from Janet's to Millenium at night and tell us again that Cabarete has sidewalks. Walk to the restaurants at the entrance to Callejon from either direction at night. It is difficult, dangerous and scary. It is not welcoming. I can't believe there is any dispute about this. West of Albatross there are no sidewalks. Making Cabarete welcoming to walking visitors should obviously be a priority.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
you guys can relax. It will all be done soon. The DEPUTY minister is bringing the AREA to the attention of the real minister who does not even know where it is. Following all that the deputy minister says he will commit himself. See, its all good. Cabarete has sidewalks just like the rest of the DR. They are Dominican sidewalks. They build them with cracks and uneven levels right from the get go. The holes come later. Kinda like the roads. Easier, quicker, softer solution is just move to Sosua. We have great sidewalks and we are pretty close by. Or you can do like the tourists and just walk in the street. Have you tried bribing the deputy and the real minister?

DonDR

Jul 14, 2010
... Easier, quicker, softer solution is just move to Sosua. We have great sidewalks and we are pretty close by. QUOTE]

More people are moving from Sosua to Cabarete. And prefer to come to Sosua and leave before dark.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
LOL...... no really LOL!!!!! I can't believe anyone is believing any of the BS that they are bulldozing around......firstly, when they earmark some tax dollars for the north coast and mr minister finds out his new yeepeta is coming out of that budget, well that will be caiboshed....don't forget the election is coming and they need some votes.....
Oh yea where's that new public hospital for Sosua that was promised in 2003 and then again and again and again,......LOL

My thoughts not yours.......

DonDR

Jul 14, 2010
Politicians in DR will never work on the project that will not bring personal profit for him - otherwise they would be poor (and they are not).

To take care of the North Coast for them means only one thing - if some funds will be allocated for the NC - they will definatly share between themselves. Some money will reach us - couple of hundred feet of sidewalks will be build ... somewhere near airport.

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
And I'm going to keep banging on the drum saying that the Gov't need to lower the tax on jet fuel at POP and take control of POP airport away from Aerodom who make operating there unviable for many airlines due to their extortionate prices.

Can you provide a proof for your statement, please.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Windeguy, take a walk from Janet's to Millenium at night and tell us again that Cabarete has sidewalks. Walk to the restaurants at the entrance to Callejon from either direction at night. It is difficult, dangerous and scary. It is not welcoming. I can't believe there is any dispute about this. West of Albatross there are no sidewalks. Making Cabarete welcoming to walking visitors should obviously be a priority.

I would not expect sidewalks on that section any time soon. How would the physically do it? Cut into the parking lots and store fronts on that section of road?

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Have a look on this website which gives the mean price of jet fuel around the world. IATA - Price Analysis

The current mean (untaxed) price at the moment for Latin America is 268 cents per gallon. I don't know what the exact current price for Jet A1 is at POP. It's usually a couple of dollars cheaper than Avgas. (Jet A1 is kerosene and Avgas is gasoline) I purchased Avgas for my own aeroplane a couple of days ago at POP and it was 799 cents a gallon. So it's safe to say that jet fuel in POP is roughly double due to the local tax applied.

Also worthy of note is that many airiness will "tanker" fuel into the DR so they don't have to buy it here. Tankering is a very expensive fuel policy, but obviously worthwhile for many Dominican routes.

If the Dominican gov't could understand that if they reduced tax on jet fuel, then airlines would buy more of it! With a bit of careful analysis, they could pitch the price at a level where they could actually maximise on fuel tax revenues and earn more than they do now!

Last edited:

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
I thought the plans were made for Sosua beach....where did that money go? To POP? Did it ever get there? Where did those millions go for the redevelopment?

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
Look at the fees and taxes on the next ticket you buy.
but this is for d.r. not just p.p. highest taxes in the world...airport taxes etc...lots of people dont come because of this...bahamas is nice they say...lower airport taxes...we go there whats the diff...surrounded by water...

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
From the sounds of it all they are doing is closing down businesses in Sosua. How does that help tourism??????

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
but this is for d.r. not just p.p. highest taxes in the world...airport taxes etc...lots of people dont come because of this...bahamas is nice they say...lower airport taxes...we go there whats the diff...surrounded by water...
Yes your very correct, people will vote with their wallets and go someplace else.
I am in Sosua now and I was surprised to see as many people in town as there are. Happy to see it.

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
Look at the fees and taxes on the next ticket you buy.

But how it is different from airport to airport for same flights/airlines/similar dates and booking classes? It has absolutely nothing to do with the "higher jet fuel cost in POP".

Look at these two flights by Condor from Santo Domingo to Frankfurt and from Puerto Plata to Frankfurt.

2aj8l7s.jpg

Is this "huge" difference by a few cents because of the higher fuel cost at POP?

but this is for d.r. not just p.p.

That is exactly so.