Record number of children die

jkc

Jun 24, 2013
Record number of children die

A total of 11 children, including eight under the age of one, died over the weekend at the Robert Reid Cabral Children's Hospital in Santo Domingo where they were patients. According to hospital staff, their deaths were caused by problems with the oxygen system.

Authorities at the hospital say the children were all in a critical condition but staff working over the weekend said that the integrated oxygen system broke down, and two of the elevators were not working which meant it was difficult to move oxygen tanks into the patients' rooms. Two of the deaths occurred on Friday 3, four on Saturday 4, and five on Sunday 5 October 2014. Three were newborns, five were under a year old and three over a year old. Most were in the intensive care unit and the others in the neonatal unit.

According to medical staff, they usually have four or five deaths each weekend and very occasionally seven, but this weekend the number was higher than usual.

They said that they have had an integrated oxygen system for a while, but the downside was that the younger residents do not know how to use the manual system and change tanks which causes a problem if it breaks down.

Hospital director Rosa Nieves Paulino said that the hospital treats very sick children and it could not be said that the weekend deaths were due to a lack of oxygen as patients with breathing problems would have been given immediate manual ventilation. However, each case would be investigated, she said.

Five of the children were from Santo Domingo and the rest from San Cristobal, Samana, Peravia, San Pedro de Macoris, Azua and Elias Pina.

Fallecen 11 ni?os el fin de semana en el Robert Reid - listindiario.com

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
danilo called for investigation on this. it's not the first time it happens too. in january 7 kids died as a result of a blackout in san lorenzo de los mina.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
WTF?? I thought the DR was a developing country, not a third world one. How?? A hospital, of all places. Investigation? Heads should roll, starting at the top. Will this happen? I seriously doubt it.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
about 2,000 newborn children die here every year, that's a rate of 5 a day. and this is a norm here, so far.

jkc

Jun 24, 2013
about 2,000 newborn children die here every year, that's a rate of 5 a day. and this is a norm here, so far.

Wow! This is ****ed up! Unbelievable! What i love about these Islands, the leaders don't know their Priorities!
Unbelievable!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
there are numerous reasons for this. some praised early breeding in a thread about high number of pregnant teens but this is also one of the contributing factor to the high number of deaths. undernourishment, underdevelopment, premature birth, all those more common among young mothers.

also note that reid cabral hospital is were difficult cases are sent. the number of deaths there would be higher that in other hospitals.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
in all honesty DR is working hard at reducing those numbers. look at the article from 2004 here: Citan principales causas mortalidad

Las tendencias de la mortalidad infantil en la Rep?blica Dominicana fue as?: en 1950 murieron 150 por cada 1000 nacidos vivos. En 1960 la cifra baj? a 120 por 1000 nacidos vivos y en 1970 fallecieron 100 por cada mil que nacieron vivos.
En 1980 murieron 80 ni?os, en 1986 68 menores perdieron la vida, en 1991 murieron 43 peque?os y en 1996fueron 47. De acuerdo a datos oficiales en el a?o 2002 la mortalidad descendi? a 31 por cada 1000 nacidos vivos.

according to el banco mundial in 2013 it was 23 deaths per 1000 live births, so there is further improvement. of course in europe this number is 5 or less.
Tasa de mortalidad, beb?s (por cada 1.000 nacidos vivos) | Datos | Tabla

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Absolutely avoidable. Not heartbreaking. Its the norm except its not publicized very often. Where was the nursing staff? Portable 02 bottles would have saved these kids. Thats the DR. A 4th world country evolving into third. Wifes sister died in childbirth as hospital had no blood. She was 22. Totally unnecessary. In the real world this is criminal. In the DR, oh, well, so sad. And it will happen again the next weekend. If you are poor do not get sick in this country. The leaders know their priorities very well. Get rich off the backs of the people. That is why they went into politics. They do not care. Children do not vote. That is the harsh reality.

equinn2823

Sep 30, 2013
How many of these do you think are because of the ridiculous amount of air pollution here on the roads in the capital?

My wife will deliver my son in December here in the trenches of Santo Domingo.

Floridaborn

Sep 25, 2010
I'm not surprised - a large govt children's hospital in Santiago - Arturo Grullon - the nurses have been on strike for over 2 weeks, not attending to the children. I know of a 3 yr old that was sent there for a possible cancerouse tumor in his leg, they did an xray and found the femur is broken - the strike started and he was given NO pain medication by the nursing staff, he needed a pint of blood and waited 2 days after it was purchased outside the hospital to receive it. The mother got so frustrated she took him and left. From there she went to the govt Oncology Institute in Santo Domingo - where he has been for another 2 wks, being scheduled for surgery twice and canceled twice. Such a sad situation for many in this country.

pkaide1

Bronze
Aug 10, 2005
Wow! This is ****ed up! Unbelievable! What i love about these Islands, the leaders don't know their Priorities!
Unbelievable!

I guess that when it comes to this type of stuff, Cuba a communist country have its priority straight. Have Democracy and Capitalism fail in most third world country, just make me wonder!!!!

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Last edited:
May 12, 2005
10686757_373294659488290_3906617813036593946_n.jpg

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
and what about dedicated generators...something smells funny here...terrible

philosopher

Jul 7, 2010
This is a travesty! I am sure it could be avoided if a little of the monies the PLD has robbed along with the swine Felix Bautista was put into the medical system. These bastards should be hung!

kampinge

Jan 18, 2012
I do understand that everybody is upset about this, but I do not understand that anybody is surprised about it. Nothing works here its just because it is a children's hospital its get in the papers. Thats DR, every day happens things like that. One of the biggest risk here in hospitals is that the nurse give you the wrong medicine, because she cannot read or count correctly.