Used Car Buying Guidance

Status
Not open for further replies.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Having successfully assisted a number of DR1 members, and others, in the purchases of used cars, i have decided to do it on a more frequent basis, if the demand exists. I have taken out an ad in the classifieds, so if anyone is experiencing apprehensions regarding the purchase of a used car, you might want to contact me.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
How much do you charge? What is your experience in this field? What services do you provide exactly? I'm not asking to be cynical or anything, I'm genuinely interested in a service like this for an SUV purchase coming up..

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
How much do you charge? What is your experience in this field? What services do you provide exactly? I'm not asking to be cynical or anything, I'm genuinely interested in a service like this for an SUV purchase coming up..

i have no set fee. if i have to travel to see the car, then you reimburse my travel. then, you pay me what you think it was worth to you. i have been around cars all my life. i was also in the damaged automobile business in the USA for 30 years. it is hard to pull over anything on me. i also built quite a few engines in my time. cars are my life.

thanks for the kind words, william.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I've been trying to reach you!!! Send me your number again via PM

SHALENA

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Personally I'd probably be interested to use your service next time I'm buying a car, but I would recommend you put a fee to it. I feel uncomfortable if I have to determine a fee for a service someone is offering me.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Personally I'd probably be interested to use your service next time I'm buying a car, but I would recommend you put a fee to it. I feel uncomfortable if I have to determine a fee for a service someone is offering me.

put it this way; just about everyone i have dealt with has dealt with me fairly, and i am not going to refuse any honest offer. one fellow poster here offered me what i considered to be too much of a payment, and i gave him back a portion. he will remain anonymous, but appreciated.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I agree with Mauricio, I really don't like it when people don't have a set price.
Next time we need to buy a car we will go to you!

thanks, Harley. i know where you are coming from. however, set prices are hard. let us say you want a car, and it takes me one trip to find a good car, i could not feel comfortable charging you the same amount that i would charge a guy who made me go all over the country looking at cars in every province. if i keep you abreast of where i have been, and what i have seen, then you can make a rough judgement of what you think it was worth. i am going to toot my own horn and say that i am a perfectionist, and i will take as long as is needed , looking at a dozen cars if that is what the situation calls for. then again, i might find a peach on the first try.

i hope that explains my no-fixed-fee idea.

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
I really appreciate this thread!!!

I hate to admit, because I was ready to die on my sword but WilliamWebster was right and the bloody Nissan Mark was double what they guy initially told me!!! In fact the young guy doesn't even work there and more.

I am in the market for a car coming into December. I am going to start with my budget of $9000 which I was ok with, in the first place and see what I can find decent for that.

Also - regarding fee. If you have a set budget in the first place can the fee be negotiated based on the budget... or does it more depend on how hard you have to look to find a good fit that is mechanically sound?

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
tell me what you look for...how you inspect? thanx need a g.f. car soon...

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I really appreciate this thread!!!

I hate to admit, because I was ready to die on my sword but WilliamWebster was right and the bloody Nissan Mark was double what they guy initially told me!!! In fact the young guy doesn't even work there and more.

I am in the market for a car coming into December. I am going to start with my budget of $9000 which I was ok with, in the first place and see what I can find decent for that.

Also - regarding fee. If you have a set budget in the first place can the fee be negotiated based on the budget... or does it more depend on how hard you have to look to find a good fit that is mechanically sound?

if you want my help in this matter, just send me a pm. i will take you through a simple set of steps, intended to recommend a particular car for your budget, your needs, and usage expectations. if you have your mind set on a specific car , i will either find one for you, or inspect the one you saw and liked. my intentions are twofold; one, that you get a sound vehicle, and secondly that you do not overpay.

with 9000 dollars i have the exact car in mind for you, providing you like its appearance. it is the perfect car for this country.

as to your budget; i am not going to charge anyone based on what i think they can pay. not because you have 20,000 dollars to spend means i am going to charge you more than the guy who has 10,000. the process is the same, and to my way of thinking it is worth the same in both cases. i do not charge based on the depth of your wallet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.