5 gallon jug (23litre), or carboy Where????

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
I brought a wine kit from Canada on my last visit, and was going to use one of those 5 gallon water jugs for the second fermentation, but after looking at it its only 18 litres and I need something with 23 litres......

So does anyone know where I can find a 23 litre jug?

Thanks

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
Hey HD, I also am searching for one or more. I am going to make some fruit wines. Let's talk. I'll share my plans for temperature control; without ac the temp is too high for most yeasts.
Tom

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Aside from the gal down the block, I think you will be importing those jugs you need if you can't use the ones normally used here for drinking water.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
wine kit? good memories from home right there. anyways. would ceramic pot do? my parents always used glass bottles/tanks so i do not know if that's any good but you can buy and/or order ceramic/clay type of pots and bottles. widely available in DR.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
in most cities at the big markets there is a vendor selling all sizes of plastic containers....

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Carboys and nothing else brewing related...

You really should use glass carboys to ferment.

Plastic will stain, is a pain in the a$s to sanitize and can sometimes leech chemicals and fouls tastes due the acidity of the wine/beer during fermentation.

It's a pity, I sold my 4 glass carboys at a garage sale before the movers arrived to cart everything away.

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
These are all available to purchase on Amazon average price $42. They are glass bottles and they have corks as an addon

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
@ Fish..... thanks, coffee on screen and I need empty jugs not full ones....lol

@Ricky good idea, didn't think of that, might just do that if I don't find anything

@CdnGringo yes glass is the way to go, but finding such a thing is hard.....I can use plastic as long as its food grade, but glass is the right way to go...

@Jinty I don't have too much confidence in any shipping company to ship glass....

@DV8 problem with ceramic is hard to find one that I can put a water trap on, but thanks for the reply

Does anyone know of a place in Santiago, going there Tues or Wed so any suggestions are appreciated....

@Tommeyers, where are you, I have made starfruit wine here, but haven't used any other fruit....where are you located?