Passport Requirements to Enter DR

rms171

Jun 28, 2013
Hi, I hope this is the right forum. If it is not I am sorry. I am reading conflicting requirements with regards to the validity of an American passport to enter the country. The US consulate website indicates that in order for me to enter the DR I must have a valid passport. A few travel websites seem to say that my passport must have six months of validity to it in order to enter. I was in the DR in early September, which put me less than six months from the expiration of my passport, and I did not seem to have an issue. Now that my next trip is getting closer to the date, I guess I wanted to ask if anyone had any experiences or wisdom to share so I can avoid an issue of trying to go down. Thanks.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
You will get in no problem. No chance they even look for an expiration date. But the US airline might say something.

bigwhiskey

Aug 29, 2010
Just pay 110$ renewal fee 60$ expedited processing fee and 15 $ overnight delivery fee and be happy.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Life is full of risks and "we" should be spending our time trying to minimize those risks. You seem to know already that when you travel, most countries expect your passport to be valid for at least six months past the date of your expected return home. If you choose to travel on a passport that does not meet this requirement, you run the risk of being denied entry at your destination.

It may not be a large risk, but is a risk nonetheless. Why anyone would pay to travel somewhere knowing that they might be turned around and sent home because of a procedural requirement that is so easy to satisfy, mystifies me?

The DR is no exception. You may not have any problems with immigration or you may, it all depends on the day and the person you encounter at the window.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Just pay 110$ renewal fee 60$ expedited processing fee and 15 $ overnight delivery fee and be happy.

What?? You can't be talking about an American passport. If so, show me the source. i paid close to $400.0 for mine a couple of months ago.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Used a private firm, because, there was no way that I'd be able to get a quick turn around by going through the Dept of State. I checked all available sources, and nowhere could I find that the gov't would o'nite for $15. I paid the price for my procrastination.